1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo lovers & Haters, come clean!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Clove, Jun 9, 2013.

1. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,739 Messages
    837 Likes Received
    Don't know who came up with this gem because Super_Kazuya didn't attach a name to the poster which was rather considerate of him seeing how ridiculous a comment it is...wow! No teams season is riding on a week 9 game unless they're 0-8 and if you're 0-8 consider yourself done anyway. In week 17 the writing is on the wall for every team.

Some teams have already been eliminated from playoff contention while other teams already have a playoff spot wrapped up. A few teams need to win and have to rely on someone else maybe several teams to have a chance to make the playoffs. In an "elimination game" both teams fate will be determined by the outcome of THAT game win and they're in lose and they go home.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,120 Likes Received
    There are late season games that if you lose your mathematically out of the race if that is not elimination then what would you call it? Clearly there were critical games the Cowboys needed to win to even have a chance such as Cinn and Pitt
  3. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,656 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    No, that's the definition of a playoff game. No team's outcome can ever be determined by one regular season game.
  4. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    So, I guess a regulation game can be an "elimination game", right?

That is why every game is considered do or die from game one till the last.

In other words, every game counts or you could be eliminated from the playoffs. You don't need to come up with some phrase like "elimination game" as being the last game to be played to get into the playoffs. A team can be eliminated at any point in the season.

So, what do you you call those games where a team has no chance for the post season because their record will not allow them to do so? Non-elimination games? :rolleyes:
  5. 5Stars

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    I think I know what your are trying to convey, but a regular season game can eliminate a team from the post season.
  6. Super_Kazuya

1,656 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    Well, this is why I was asking about the conflicting definitions of elimination game that are floating around. Califan said it only has to be one team facing elimination. That to me would seemingly open it up to just about any week where your magic number could be impossible to reach. KJJ's definition is much more strict, has to be week 17, both teams have to need to win... or, basically, Romo.

Personally, I can't think of any reason why a QB can play like crap in week 16 with his team facing elimination and not get an elimination loss, but move it out to week 17 and suddenly you are saddled with one. What's the difference?
  7. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,328 Messages
    1,645 Likes Received
    In theory all 16 games are of equal value. However, if you get to the end of a season and that 1 game will get you in the playoffs with a win, at that point in time it takes on a more significant meaning. Yes the win still counts the same as a win does in week 1, 2 4, 6, 9, etc. but a win in a game that is do or die is significant.

So, yes when a team gets down to one regular season game and that game can make or break the season at that point that one regular season game takes on a different meaning because of the circumstances.
  8. Super_Kazuya

1,656 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    Really when you get down to it I am just trying to make a distinction that I think is important to make when a fanbase is quick to lay the blame at one person's feet for an entire team and season worth of effort. Yes, I know that the Cowboys did not make the playoffs because they lost to the Skins that fateful night. But I also know that if you called the league office and asked them why the Cowboys didn't make he playoffs, they would say simply, "10-6 beats 8-8". Like I said its an important distinction, and I will continue to make it (but without all of the arguing :) ).
  9. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,807 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    And a fine job you are doing .:D
  10. KJJ

10,739 Messages
    837 Likes Received
    There are a lot of late season games every year where if a team loses they're mathematically eliminated but those aren't true "elimination games." These games are not what we're talking about. :rolleyes: Most of those games only matter to one team because their opponent has either already been eliminated from playoff contention or has already qualified so the game isn't as important to them. Sure the Cowboys needed to win the Cincy and Pittsburgh game but neither game had a do or die label attached to them for the Cowboys or the Bengals and Steelers. The Cowboys lost a week after the Pittsburgh game to NO and still had a chance to make the playoffs in week 17.

A lot of things have to happen before a team is mathematically eliminated. It's determined by how they do and how a number of other teams in their conference do over a period of 17 weeks. The playoffs are exciting because it's do or die for BOTH teams. Both teams are under the same pressure they have to win to continue on that's what makes a season finale elimination game so exciting. In 07 Washington needed a win in the season finale vs the Cowboys to make the playoffs. The Cowboys laid down for them having already secured the NFC East and the #1 seed. Some of you are making this much more complicated than it is. No one would be making anything of this if the Cowboys were 6-1 in elimination games instead of 1-6.
  11. Super_Kazuya

1,656 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    Never said it didn't have different circumstances surrounding it. Just don't see any reason to try to pretend these games are playoff games, and furthermore to do it for only one player/team in the NFL. Also don't see any reason to distinguish it from critical games that happen in earlier weeks when teams are eliminated because they didn't win.
  12. 5Stars

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    I don't know. The way I see things is that teams have to have a win record during the regular season to even compete for a playoff game, or to get in the "tournament" as Parcells calls it.

Once teams from all conferences get into the playoffs, then in my way of thinking, then it becomes an "elimination" game. For example, a team can lose their supposed "elimination" game, but can still get into the post season depending on what other teams do with their records later in the day.

I don't know or care about looking this up, but there could have been an example of Romo :rolleyes: (as some want to point out) and the Cowboys losing that game in Washington, but if some other team vying for the same spot losing their last regular season game then the Cowboys would get in.

The thing is, the posters with tunnel vision against Romo not getting into the post season is because of him, apparently. Oh, as far as what KJJ has to say to you...good luck with all that!

:laugh2:
  13. 5Stars

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Pure gold....
  14. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,636 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    The first 4 games of a season can't be called "elimination" games - I don't think there has ever been a 12-4 team in NFL history that failed to make the playoffs.

Generally speaking, the games increase in mathematical importance as the season goes on because there is simply much less room for error.

A team that starts 0-1 can still play well the rest of the way, maybe finish 11-5.

A team that is 4-5 has to win seven games in a row to finish 11-5; an extremely difficult tasks.
  15. KJJ

10,739 Messages
    837 Likes Received
    If you call the league office of course they would say that because they aren't paid to analyze the performance of players and teams. The league office isn't going to criticize anyones performance that's not their job. That's the job of those on ESPN, NFLN and all the rest who get paid to cover/analyze teams and players in the NFL. If you ask them why the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs they'll point to Romo's subpar performance along with the poor play of the defense.

They'll scrutinize everything about the Cowboys from Jerry, Garrett, Romo, to the play calling to the defensive scheme because the Cowboys have missed the playoffs 3 straight seasons. They'll look deeper than last season because what we saw last year has been a continuing trend.
  16. 5Stars

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    Yet, you and others place the blame on Romo.

And if you deny that just look at your posts. You say that because Romo has not gotten into the playoffs, that is why Romo has the perception that he does!

Pure gold.

:rolleyes:
  17. KJJ

10,739 Messages
    837 Likes Received
    Tell that to the Cowboys who've sat home for the playoffs the last 2 seasons because of the outcome of their regular season finale.
  18. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,047 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    What are you talking about?
  19. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,047 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    We put a big part of the blame on Romo because it's a trend. Something that happens over and over and over and over, with different receivers, with different offensive linemen, with different defenses, he's always around when it's time to be eliminated. That's not made up, you know that's true.

We're not even talking Super Bowls anymore, that's far from our reach. We're talking about making the playoffs, and winning there. Other so called "great" QBs are at least winning playoff games. Maybe they don't win it all, but they are putting themselves in position to go all the way. And a lot of those QBs have a ton of problems on their team.

But Romo supporters think we're down on the guy for NO REASON. You can support a guy, and still get upset that he chokes. It's okay, your man hood will stay in tact, I promise you.
  20. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,328 Messages
    1,645 Likes Received

It most certainly was! That is classic.

[IMG]