1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo lovers & Haters, come clean!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Clove, Jun 9, 2013.

1. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,365 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    Excuse? Did u see his throwing hand?! Did u see Dockery letting every DL right in? The hand was swollen as hell. You don't have to be a doctor to understand that it is very difficult to grip and throw a ball with a swollen hand. He played very well down the stretch in '11 and the defense let the Giants right down the field multiple times as Newman and Scandrick choked way more on defense that game than anybody. All injuries are not the same so saying that everyone is hurt late in the year is a stupid blanket statement. A QB's throwing hand or arm is about as significant as it gets to a players performance. C'mon man, you're smarter than that.
  2. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,365 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    For the record, I did not see Eskimo's post until after I posted mine. Crazy coincidence that I made a doctor reference actually.
  3. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,725 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    I, personally, was more pissed at Terence "The Human Hurdle" Newman after that game than Romo.
  4. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,718 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    Wow, you really nailed it man. It is true he has needed a better supporting cast at times but yeah, it also admits he isn't an elite type QB. In my mind he is a top 15 QB. Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Eli, Big Ben, Kap, RG3, Wilson, Luck, Flacco, and Ryan are all better than him IMO. Then you have guys like Stafford, Dalton, Cam, Cutler, Rivers, etc That are pretty much on the same page with him. Good QB's but just can't carry their teams when it matters the most.

So truth be told he needs a lot of help around him to take the pressure off and to give us a good chance of making a legit run. And that to me makes him a middle of the road QB.

I think the obsession with Romo from some fans stems from having a stretch of horrible QB's for a decade and then getting someone like Romo who is a top 15 QB. It feels like we won the lottery back in 2005. Nobody wants to go back to the horrible QB's but these fans also have a hard time admitting that our QB has some pretty bad faults and needs a lot of help.
  5. ufcrules1

6,718 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    I was too but Romo didn't play to well either.
  6. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    For the record, i don't agree with alot of this.

Russell Wilson better than Romo? Say, whaaaa?
  7. DanteEXT

1,725 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    See, I don't get this thought. They need him each and every game. Every game is important in such a short season. So he doesn't "always throw the errant pass".

The only way it would make sense is if you think only the times he has actually thrown the errant pass is the only times we needed him the most.

Has Romo made plays to help this team win games either on his own or with help? Yes. Has he made some mistakes that has that has caused the team to lose either on with his mistake or with help from others? Yes. But I think he has had many more positive outcomes than negative.
  8. DanteEXT

1,725 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Nope, didn't play his best game that's for sure.

And sadly, there wasn't a whole lot of right in that game from anyone on the Cowboys. Not even the kicker (granted it was a 50+).
  9. ufcrules1

6,718 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    That is cool.. It's just my opinion. Russel Wilson had an amazing year last year and took that team from a 7-9 to a 11-5 playoff bound team. They knocked off the Redskins and almost knocked off the red hot Falcons. It took a 53 yard field goal to beat them. So they were very close to the championship game vs. SF.

Keep in mind Seattle paid dearly for Matt Flynn and then realized how much better Russell was. Flynn never even saw the field. Russell Wilson is a lot better than many people realize right now. With him at the helm leading that team, they are certainly a contender for the NFC right along with SF and GB.
  10. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,397 Messages
    802 Likes Received
    If attributing success is an assumption then so is attributing a loss.
  11. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    799 Likes Received
    I don't think Wilson is better than Romo right now but I do think there is more of an upside with him. I think he'll only get better.
  12. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,184 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    The third down throw on our first possession after we had gotten the turn over when he missed a WIDE open Ogletree bugs me quite a bit as well. He had a chance to set the tone for the game right there and then, instead he chucks it 5 feet over his head and starts yelling at Ogletree as they head to the sideline.
  13. ufcrules1

6,718 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    Do you trust Romo with 2 minutes on the clock, in a playoff or elimination game not to throw the game away? I can honestly say that I do not trust him.

Also, even if he had a much better line, in a playoff type game, the defense you are playing against is going to certainly pressure the QB. So he will get pressure, can he still deliver?
  14. ufcrules1

6,718 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    So if you had a choice this year on who our QB would be, you would take Romo over Wilson? I wouldn't.
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,989 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    In a team sport I can't sit here and single out any one person or player on this team. Romo is a quality QB I think the Cowboys are lucky to have him. I also have no doubts he can help this team win big time but it will take an entire team like it does for any other team to win a championship. I guess as long as some put the entire game on 1 person we will continue to get threads like this.
  16. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,498 Messages
    3,331 Likes Received
    I like Romo. Don't really see the need to quantify my likes and dislikes re: him. Many have touched on specific plays here and there, which have made them change their opinion of him. However, I think the Cowboys are better with him at QB than they are without him.
  17. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,498 Messages
    3,331 Likes Received
    I'd take Russell's steroid-driven defense, tho.
  18. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,532 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    absolutely!!!!
  19. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    He had a good year, no doubt about it. That being said, he only threw the ball 390 times, compared to about 650 attempts for Romo. Even with that, Romo still had the better completion percentage even behind our terrible OL. Im just saying it makes things a little easier on a QB when the rest of your team is so dominant. That D was shutdown and very good at getting takeaways and they had one of the best running backs in the league averaging 5 ypc and running the ball over 300 times for over 1500 yards.
  20. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I think you misinterpreted my stance with that statement.