1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo lovers & Haters, come clean!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Clove, Jun 9, 2013.

1. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Tough to say without knowing who we would have replaced him with.
  2. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,462 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    I like Wilson a lot, but this is kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Removing the pass defenses from the equation (which are night and day), just on the offensive side of the ball there is a major difference between what each quarterback is asked to do.

Russell Wilson is playing in a read-option run-heavy offense where he is asked to be a bus driver. Tony Romo does not have anything close to that luxury.

If you look at their game logs, Romo had to throw for 26 or more attempts in every single game he played. Russell Wilson only had to do so in five games, and he went 2-3 in those five games. In games where he threw for 25 or fewer attempts, Seattle did their damage and they went 9-2. Romo only has five complete starts in his career where he's thrown 25 or fewer passes, and the team is 5-0 in those games.

Romo is actually 20-3 as a starter when he is asked to throw the ball fewer than 30 times. Every quarterback is going to have a better record when they are throwing the ball in the 20's, as opposed to the 30s/40s/50s, and the record gets worse and worse the more you ask a quarterback to play. With a Defense and a line/running game he's damn near unbeatable.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,398 Likes Received
    Not tough at all, since there are no real candidates to replace him. It would be different if we were debating Romo vs somebody, but we're not. Since Romo was named starter, there hasn't been any QB brought in to actually compete with him. So if he were to go down, I think we would lose something at the QB position. However, I do think it would make others on the team step up their game.
  4. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,094 Messages
    1,365 Likes Received
    Fair enough, although it was Wilson's first year in the league I would say he had more than a good year. Also, I would say Romo has a better supporting cast of receivers.. Dez, Miles, and Witten compared with Sidney Rice and.. um.. Golden Tate?

Just curiously, you would take Romo over Wilson to start our 2013 season?
  5. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    That's kind of the point. Our front office has always hitched its horse to Romo. However, if we didn't keep Tony, who knows who else we would have gotten to come play the position for us.
  6. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,462 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    In the entire history of the NFL there have been only 17 seasons where a quarterback has thrown for 4,000 yards with 10 or fewer interceptions. In the past four seasons, Romo has 2 of those 17 seasons to his name. The horse is hitched where it should be.
  7. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Yes... easily.

You really think Wilson would have looked half as good as he did last year if he was on this team? DL in his face every play and no running game to take any pressure off of him? Having to throw the ball much more often and no threat of playaction to keep defenses honest? It would have most likely been a train wreck.
  8. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Stats are great but that horse winds up in the barn come January every year.

Seriously though, i wasn't trying to comment one way or the other on Romo's ability. Simply saying its hard to say we're better with Romo than without him, not knowing who we would have gone after to play QB for us if we decided to move on from Romo. Peyton Manning was just available last offseason. You never know.
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,398 Likes Received
    Well, the answers to that would be to look at the QBs that have been free agents or drafted in that timeframe that the Cowboys would have had a legitimate shot at getting to be QB for a guesstimate.

You're welcome to do that research.. :cool: ;)

I think that in the next two years or so is when the Cowboys will start looking hard at bringing in someone to develop behind him.
  10. ufcrules1

7,094 Messages
    1,365 Likes Received
    Would he have looked better in Dallas? No, I doubt that but he can scramble better than Romo and would certainly have better Targets to throw to.

A train wreck? I don't think so. You think Kapernick, Luck, and RG3 would have been a train wreck here too?
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    Yeah and Wilson has a damn good RB in Lynch who the seahawks depend a lot on. It is so much easier passing the ball with you keep yourself in great down and distant situation. It also helps a lot when you defense can get the ball right back to your offense. Romo makes mistakes but then the load Romo carries is a lot greater than what is being asked of Wilson.

It is not a knock on Wilson but right now the Seahawks as a whole are a more complete team than the Cowboys.
  12. ufcrules1

7,094 Messages
    1,365 Likes Received
    Just curiously, would you take Romo over Kap, Wilson, RG3, Luck, and Peyton for the 2013 season?
  13. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Kapernick, i don't know. Luck and RGIII? I doubt they would have been train wrecks here because they are both very talented QB's.

Seriously man, go take a quick peek at Wilson's game log last year. The guy is like one step up from Tim Tebow. When you only have to pass the ball 20 times a game, its much easier to avoid mistakes.. especially when you add in the fact that their running game made defenses stay honest.

Here he would have had defenders in his face 24/7 and been forced to pass the ball 30-40 times a game. He wouldn't have looked nearly as good.

As for the scrambling comment.. i think Romo has shown over the years that one of the things he's best at is avoiding the rush and extending plays. I don't think Wilson is any better in that regard. Might be faster and a better runner with the ball.. but that's not quite the same debate.

..and if you say you agree that he wouldn't have looked better in Dallas, then why do you keep asking people if they would rather have Romo or he to start the season this year? Seems you already know the answer. We're much better off with Romo.
  14. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    Over RG3, Wilson and Kap yes.

Luck? I think he will be the best of the group of young QB and if I was building I would take a very young QB in Luck over Romo given the age difference. However that is not an option you make these statement as if all you have to do it go get a Luck it is not that easy there are more QB that bust than those who make it. Romo is the QB and is very capable but it is still going to take a team as a whole to win it all. No matter how good Rodgers is or Peyton are, to win it all took a lot more than just them to win a SB.

In the end this still about team RG3, Wilson and Kap all have one thing is common and that is a top notch running game where they are not having to throw the ball damn near 600 times in a season. They have the luxury of being able to run the ball keep the down and distance in their favor and pass when they want to not because they have to.
  15. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Over 600 times even. ;)
  16. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I don't think he grasp that concept. For Dallas to move the ball we must pass. Fans know it, defense damn sure know it. In Wasington, Seattle and SF defense have to honor the run they can't just pin their ears back and come after the QB. These 3 teams were tops in the NFL in rushing and one reason why I continue to say having a running game can help a team win for one simple reason it keeps defense from just coming after the QB.

Dallas ask a lot out of Romo and yet we do not give him a running game, we do not give him a defense that can get turnovers and hold leads. Hell there have been many games that Romo lead the Cowboys to a tieing score or go ahead score to win only to see defense turn around and give it right back up but some how it is all Romo fault? I don't get that.

I never excuse Romo mistakes but in the bigger picture of winning it comes down to having the better team not just the QB
  17. ufcrules1

7,094 Messages
    1,365 Likes Received
    I don't need to look at his stats, I watched Wilson all year and know what he is capable of. He played smart football last year and did just what he had to do to win games. I saw him face plenty of pressure in the playoffs and he looked phenomenal. He was 24 for 36 with 385 yards passing against the Falcons and also rushed for 60 yards and a touchdown. He was a better runner than Lynch that day who was 16 for 46 yards. His great defensive team crapped the bed in that game.

With regards to scrambling, I actually meant running with the ball. Russel is 10x better with running with the ball. He had almost 500 yards rushing last year, that isn't bad for a QB.

I think if we had Russel vs. the Redskins we would have won the division and made the playoffs, I honestly do.
  18. ufcrules1

7,094 Messages
    1,365 Likes Received
    Saying you would take Romo over Kap, RG3, and Wilson is all I need to hear. No need to debate anymore.
  19. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    Falcons still had to honor the run yes they did a good job on Lynch why? because they focused on him but in doing so they allowed the passing game to beat them. Fact that when a team faces the seahawks they go in knowing they must stop the run is in itself a major factor. I like Wilson saw a lot of his games but this is still a team game and while Wilson is important he is not the entire Seahawks team and they do not ask out of him anything close to what is asked of Romo.
  20. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    Same here because you don't get it, You really do not seem to grasp a major differance that these 3 QB have compared to Romo. They can run the ball they are not asked to throw the damn ball 600 times a season. Hell RG3 , Wilson and Kap did not even come close to puttting the ball up as many times as Romo and the Cowboys did.

You don't get it chances are never will