1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Romo may play season without extension

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Wood, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,639 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    By: Keith Whitmire is an award-winning, Dallas-based sports writer who has covered multiple Super Bowls, NCAA Final Fours and BCS National Championships. His career included more than a decade at The Dallas Morning News

Jerry Jones is confident it will get done. Stephen Jones says it's the Cowboys' top priority.

Yet as the draft approaches, we still haven't heard a word about progress being made on signing quarterback Tony Romo to a contract extension.

The Cowboys need to sign Romo to an extension for salary cap reasons. If he plays out the final season of his contract, he will count $16.8 million against the cap in 2013.

As of now, the Cowboys are reported to be less than $100,000 under the cap. Room will have to be made just to sign the new draft picks.

But if Romo doesn't sign an extension, it might not be the worst thing in the world for the Cowboys.

Read rest here: http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/story/Romo-may-play-season-without-extension?blockID=881387&feedID=3742
  2. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,431 Messages
    2,231 Likes Received
    Maybe he should go talk to Mike Fisher.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,782 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    Extremely unlikely.
  4. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jones gives Tony Romo talks update

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Updated: March 20, 2013, 1:10 PM ET

PHOENIX -- Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones made it clear that quarterback Tony Romo will soon sign a contract extension but it's up to the coaching staff to make better use of the quarterback's skill set next season.

Jones, speaking to beat writers for 30 minutes during a break in the NFL owners meetings, said talks are heating up between the two sides.

"It's not a concern of mine," Jones said. "We all have to decide what date that is. Everybody involved: His agents. Him. Me. Us. The point I do want to make [about] this kind of commitment is I feel good about making it. I feel good about where he is in his career."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...es-dallas-cowboys-talks-tony-romo-heating-up?
  5. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

855 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    Are they even in talks yet?
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,905 Messages
    1,010 Likes Received
    It will get done. The Cowboys cannot function with Tony's cap hit this season.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,100 Messages
    2,221 Likes Received
    Clueless does not begin to describe it.
  8. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,356 Messages
    613 Likes Received
    I think he'd play without the extension.
  9. DFWJC

23,100 Messages
    2,221 Likes Received
    No doubt.

However, I think they will sign him soon.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the season.
  10. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,356 Messages
    613 Likes Received
    Yep..................
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,407 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    If Tony signs an extension, it is for no other reason than he wants the security and does not want to move his young family.

I don't see any reason why he would want to remain a Cowboy, specifically, any longer.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    award winning journalist

anymore that means the same thing as a participation trophy in elementary school
  13. DFWJC

23,100 Messages
    2,221 Likes Received
    Minnesota would be a really nice landing spot, imo.

He's signing here though.
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,407 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    Yea, but there's no guarantee that they'd want to sign him long term, especially if Ponder has a good year.
  15. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Romo's best chance is to take advantage of Jones' ridiculous generosity. Barring that, he should definitely take the 16 million and run.

It's ridiculous how pitiful the offensive lines the Jones' have fielded for Romo have been since Marc Colombo and Flozell Adams went down in 2009. Even then they were just six players deep.

You can't win in the NFL if you can't block. Teams just started teeing off on Romo, and he ended the season with broken ribs again because Washington blitzed him nonstop with no adjustment from the offense of any kind.

He threw Garrett under the bus after the 2008 season and probably wanted to throw Garrett, the Jones, everyone on the OL, Austin, Felix, and Murray there too after 2012 but he held his tongue.

Romo friendly? What a joke.
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I'm not even sure Dallas would get much cap relief from a new contract anyway.

He currently has about $5.3M in restructured money assigned to this year. I don't think that money goes away. How could it?

If you look at Tom Brady's contract, his restructured money that was on his previous contract has carried right over and is applied to his cap number this year.

If that's the case and I see no reason why it wouldn't be, Romo's cap number will start at $5.3M.

If he were to get $20M in SB on a 5 year contract, an equal allocation would make his cap number $9.3M and then you have to add in whatever his base salary would be.

Of course the team could allocate the SB however they wanted and put $1M on 2013 and then $6M on the remaining 4 years. Combine that with a $1M base salary and his total cap hit could be $7.3M

Only probably is, you've basically taken a 5 year contract and after 1 year you've turned it into a 4 year contract of nearly the same dollar amount.

I don't know what his contract will be but assuming it is 5 Years / $60M with $20M as an SB, after that first season you've only accounted for $1M in SB and Base. That leaves it at what is basically a 4 Year / $58M with $19M as SB. Equal distribution across the remainder makes it a $14.5M cap hit each year. If they restructured after 1 year that'd push it around $16.8M per year for the final 3 years without significant cap relief from cutting him until the final season and even then it would still leave over $6M in dead money.

Like I said, I dunno what his contract will be. I shot pretty low by all accounts but I think if Dallas is going to try to save cap space by reworking Romo's contract, that $5.3M that is going to carry over is going to make them backload the hell out of that contract.