1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo or RGIII?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,010 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    I agree 110%. Griffin graduated in three years with a degree in political science and a 3.67 GPA, while appearing on the Dean's List twice. His football idol growing up was Elway. I think he has the sufficient intelligence and mindset to run whatever offense is asked of him.
  2. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

2,706 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Who is them?
  3. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,208 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    RG3 has shown that our defense is remarkably vulnerable his style of total offense and he is in his rookie year.We are toast down the road against the skins if we dont get better safeties and generate more pressure against them.
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Being smart is certainly a major factor. But you have to have the physical tools.I think Griffen is a remarkable athlete and for a rookie a very good QB. But if smarts were the end all be all to run a scheme, then Jason Garrett would have been another Johnny U or Joe Montana.
  5. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Them is you.
  6. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Pick any running QB who has come into the NFL, helped his team lead the league in rushing with a mediocre-bad passing game, taken alot of big hits due to high numbers of rushing attempts and then gradually fallen off once their ability to run started to fail them and the windows got tighter.

It's happened - every - single - time. It's unlikely RG3 will be any different. When you've spent your entire life playing the game one way, and benefitting from that style because the run threat wreaks havoc on the defense, noone has shown the ability to completely change their style once their legs go and they need to start protecting themselves.
  7. Wayne02

2,706 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Meaning? It sounded like you were implying something.
  8. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    From a style perspective I think this is key. They will take more shots than the normal pocket QB and get hurt more often. Griffen has already had a concussion this year. That takes a toll over time. They style he plays is exciting and very effective for the interim. But this is why I say I would not trade Romo for him AT THIS TIME. Too much unknown and will he be able to sustain it once the legs go. If the threat to run is gone then does he become a one dimensional QB.
  9. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Read into what you want. I don't give a hot steaming pile of crap.
  10. Wayne02

2,706 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    RG3 is a QB first who just happens to have sprinter speed. He's not Michael Vick who just takes off after his first read isn't there, he's a QB first. Why is that so hard to understand?
  11. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,242 Messages
    1,443 Likes Received
    The thing is he is not just a running QB. He is known for passing from the pocket and being accurate in doing so. He was very accurate in college and same with the pros. He only has 4 int's on the year. He is a passer first QB, it just so happens he also has elite speed and a horrible offensive line.
  12. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,043 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    I know
  13. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,242 Messages
    1,443 Likes Received
    Exactly.. why in the heck does everyone lump him in with Vick and other running QB's?
  14. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    He's a mediocre passer who creates problems for defenses because he is a threat to run. The windows are bigger, passing is easier.

He will have to stop running. He can't survive the punishment he's taken for extended periods of time. When he does and the windows get tighter, he's suddenly just a mediocre passer.

Noone has ever made that transformation successfully. Why will Griffin be the first? Why is that so hard to understand?
  15. Wayne02

2,706 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Don't change my posts to make me sound like something that I'm not. Grow up man.
  16. CitySlicker202

CitySlicker202 Member

92 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'm not sure which page it was on but someone mentioned that Romo runs a more "complicated" offense and therefore is the more standout passer. So I guess any fool off the street could run Washington's Pistol Offense with all that college stuff right? LoL.

Here's the thing about the Pistol....it requires the QB to make consistent reads on plays that call for an option RB or QB run. No other QB is running this scheme better than RG3 because it is suited to his style of play....making the defense terrified of the threat of him running while setting up Morris or the playaction pass (see Rg3 to Robinson bomb on Thanksgiving Day).

Often times, there are 2, 3, or even 4 people in the backfield....all of which has defensive coordinators constantly on their toes. People sometimes will bash RG3 for not being a "traditional" drop back passer......Isn't the goal to win games?? Who cares about tradition; exploit you're QB's elite talent and win football games!!

And because of that, RG3's elite speed, big arm, and world class accuracy shines through in the Pistol over Romo and his "traditional" drop back passing.
  17. Wayne02

2,706 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    That's cool, I forgot you can predict the future and you're also a scout as well which is why your evaluations of RG3 hold so much weight. :rolleyes:
  18. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,467 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    It's like people have no idea what on earth they are watching.

Great breakdown SP. no idea why nobody else sees this stuff. Are people just stupid?
  19. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Your implications in this post are clear.

We all get it.
  20. Wayne02

2,706 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    We have 2 talent scouts now. That's awesome.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.