1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo or RGIII?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,306 Messages
    1,469 Likes Received
    A mediocre passer? Dude, seriously? He is an outstanding passer who is quick on his reads and if nothing is there, then he can run.. and do so with elite speed.
  2. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    This whole thread, from both directions, is about predicting the future.

My position simply also has the weight of the past behind it - examples of players similar to RG3 who have come and gone with varying levels of success, but ultimately with all met with the exact same results. Once they have to stop running to protect their health they cannot compete at the same level.

Your position is based on burgundy and gold pom poms and media hype. It makes a nice dream in kethcup and mustard sheets, but there is absolutely no reason to believe Griffin will be the one to break the trend outside of foolish homerism.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,054 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    It's not that Romo's system is more complicated. It's about RG3 having a coach that doesn't play to his strengths much like Romo has to deal with here.

If we had RG3 we would just let him run the script and hope every once in awhile he makes a play outside of the system. I don't think he would be better then Romo at that. At least for awhile.
  4. ufcrules1

7,306 Messages
    1,469 Likes Received
    Just blows me away the things I am hearing.
  5. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,510 Messages
    878 Likes Received
    Quick w his reads?

Lolol. This is the furthest thing from the truth. He's proven to be a first read QB. Luckily for him, often time, his first read is wide open.

When it's not, he struggles immensely.
  6. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    They get fooled every time. Ooooh a shiny new running QB! Oh wait, no QB can take 130 carries per season and stay alive. You would think people would learn by now.

But it's the first time the Skins have had a possible competent player at QB in forever. So they're understandably stupidly excited and oblivious to history.
  7. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    One thing about him is that he does have the competency to not make the mistakes. He has a low INT rate which says when the play isn't there he is throwing the ball away. He is football smart. But like I said before, football smart is just part of it, you have to sustain the productivity and with a style of play that puts him at risk for injury more than the average QB, it remains to be seen if he can do that.
  8. StarMan

StarMan Well-Known Member

1,028 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    As you can tell from my sig, I'm no Romo fan. But I would rather have him than RG3 who is the latest overhyped QB.
  9. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,011 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Well that goes for every single rookie quarterback in the game. They all have film on them after the season is over, and they all have to train hard to overcome their weaknesses as defensive coordinators gameplan against them. That isn't exclusive to quarterbacks that are mobile. Why not compare him to Andy Dalton, if that's your rationale. It fits. Why is it always Newton or Vick, but never S.Young? When you have a personal bias towards or against a player, you choose the comparison that better makes your angle and not the one that is more objective.

I'm not saying every person that thinks Griffin will be a bust are basing their stance off race, not at all. But for you to assume that no one is, that's ridiculous. You don't know anyone else's motivations but your own, you can't speak for everyone. I don't think those that do are being racist, I just think they're looking at base similarities and are being too lazy to look further into the player to develop their decision. If that's not you, awesome. Moving on.
  10. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Because most rushing QBs are black.

get over it.
  11. ufcrules1

7,306 Messages
    1,469 Likes Received
    It's pretty telling when a thread/poll is started like this and 60% of the people polled choose RG3... on a Cowboys forum! What does that tell you?
  12. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Tells me we have alot of overly excited and blind Redskins fans, along with media hyped and historically-oblivious Cowboys fans voting in our polls.
  13. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Maybe you missed the part where I also said I wouldn't make the trade for Luck as well. Either way, I prefer to wait for someone to make a statement that is based on race before implying it as you did. No one here made that leap but you for some reason felt it was necessary to do so.

And just like I don't know what someone's motivation is, neither do you know. The comparisons are legit in terms of situations. Maybe not exact styles of play, but you can't deny there are some of the same elements in their style. Which then leads to the other obvious questions on durability etc.

But making the leap to suggest someone is being racist in their evaluation of a trade scenario and comparing one QB to another is short sighted at best.
  14. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,134 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Biggest thing is RG3 is only 22. he may be overhyped we shall see. Either way he is better than Romo right now. If romo was 22 and at this stage who knows.
  15. NIBGoldenchild

1,011 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Absolutely. What do you think Griffin lacks that could hinder his development? I'll be honest, even before we drafted him I was showing my friends his highlights on YouTube, after reading more about his character and work ethic I was sold on him being an all-pro before we made the trade for the #2 pick. I feel Luck and he are simply can't miss prospects that could do whatever you asked of them, and if I was a ******* fan(dear God...), I would trade Romo for him in heartbeat.
  16. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,563 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    It's ridiculous IMO. Guess this board is better than that hole they call extreme skins.

Depressing thread, btw. I'd only do it because of the age factor. That's it.
  17. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,134 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Thing is how long will he last and how long will the wishbone stuff work?
  18. NIBGoldenchild

1,011 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/steve_young
  19. Kaika

Kaika Have a Good Day Pilgrims

2,697 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is this a trick question???

Have you watched RG III , also a class act.
    Can't stand the foreskins but they hit a homer with this kid.

Oh by the way ,The answer is YUP.:D
  20. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Griffin is on pace for 140 rushing attempts in his rookie season.

Steve Young's HIGH for rushing attempts in a single season was 76.

Get your comparisons right.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.