1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo or RGIII?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Fair question. Two things are a concern. The first is what it is with every rookie QB who comes out and has a great rookie season. Tape. As I said,there are those who know more than you or I that can expose flaws after having time to review it. Ala Cam Newton, hence the comparison. The other is what SuperPunk mentioned. He exposes himself far more than most QBs do to big hits therefore risking more injuries. Also, if part of his game is relying on his mobility, which we all know he has remarkable speed, and that is taken away because of an injury, how will he respond?

It's really more, at least for me, still an unknown. Some on here think he is the greatest thing since Red Grange and are anointing him as such.

The premis of this thread was trading Romo for Griffen and would you do it. For those reasons I have tirelessly laid out and because we simply don't have the known quantity, I said no to the trade. I would rather have a QB who I know what I have and can plan around, than one who will be a potential liability if there are major flaws in his game that are exposed.
  2. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    The thing with Luck has been has been hyped for an incredibly long time before being drafted, going back to October 2010 and the game vs Oregon, where he put on a show. The Orange Bowl just put him at the next level.

His hype never went down his final year despite stinkers (vs Oregon in particular where he unfortunately looked scared to take a hit) and a few other meh performances in late October last year, he had been anointed the end all be all next John Elway prospect.

While he has made some great plays against terrible teams, he has also had a very Rex Grossman "**** it lets go deep" attitude this year, leading to multiple pick 6's and 4 times the amount of INT's that RG3 has thrown.

"Being asked to do more" (as if anyone on a message board has any idea if this is true or not) is a convienent excuse for Luck's horrible turnover propensity, but was never an excuse for the original RG3, Rex Grossman 3rd.

Not to say Luck is Rex Grossman, despite the multiple INTs, it is just impossible for people right now to objectively evaluate his performance because he has led his team back in games against terrible competition, the Colts have 8 wins, and well its Andrew ****ing Luck.

For the record, in April I pick Luck 10 times out of 10 over RG3. I probably had the biggest boner for him in DC from January 2011 (after seeing him play live in the Orange Bowl) until draft day. Now though after seeing them play in the NFL, the type of ability RG3 has and seeing what type of person RG3 is and the impact he has had in DC, I take RG3 10 times out of 10 over Luck.

And as I stated earlier in this thread, you would need to throw in Mo Claiborne, Romo+ multiple first round picks for me to even consider trading RG3, because with RG3 those picks wouldn't be in the top 10, and he is worth multiple top 10 picks now.
  3. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,100 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    \

I will say I do not think that anyone that is saying we would not make that trade RIGHT now are doing so based on RGIII being black.. that is just stupid and anyone that thinks that is the case is stupid.

There are various reasons not to want to make that trade. I used Cam as an example, not because he is black, as your narrow mind seems to think, but but because I see similarities in how they play. I don't know if Cam has the same work ethic as RGIII or vice versa. And it really don't matter. They both are very atheltic QB's that the run game is a very large part of their style. I didn't use Andy Dalton or Young as you suggest because running was not part of their style. Young was a great scrambler, he ran for some yards, he was very atheltic, but I don't remember the triple option being in the game plan for the 49ers, maybe it was my memory is not what it used to be.

If you think for one minute that the speed and the ability to run for RGIII does not open up passing lanes for him, then you are football stupid. When that threat goes away or is lessened, like happens with all running QB's, we will see if can still be successful. I don't know if he can or not. i think he is a great player but I do not want to trade a QB I know can produce in this league year after year for a guy that might be able to produce, that book has yet to be written. I will admit though, RGIII looks the part and is extremely talented. But let's take a look in 2 or 3 years.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,725 Messages
    2,401 Likes Received
    I wanted to help you with that. I was looking for one of Tony with his cap on backwards, unshaven, smiling, while playing golf in Cabo. I settled for this one. His hat is on forward but I'm pretty sure they are in Gatahurl Mexico.

[IMG]
  5. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Do you not think DC's are looking at gobs of tape already? This opinion to me is assinine because we as fans can now watch the All-22 of every snap this season. Do people really think advanced scouts and DC's are sitting around thinking "boy, we'll just wait till the offseason to figure him out"

Perry Feweel and the Giants just faced him a 2nd time and still got gashed by the Redskins offense.

Major flaws get exposed very quickly, which is why guys like Ryan Leaf imploded 3 games into this career, which is why Heath Shuler never amounted to much or why Tim Couch never did anything.

DC's and NFL HC's aren't dumb, if there is a flaw it'll be found and exposed very quickly.
  6. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

993 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I can tell by those sentences alone you have watched very few of his games. He's thrown lasers down the middle of the field, in between multiple defenders, hitting his receiver in stride. He's done this often enough for it to be considered something he does easily. He's thrown touchdowns this season, placing the on the back shoulder, away from the defender, so that the receiver would be the only player capable of catching it.

Please leave your falsehoods out of this discussion. Thank you.
  7. CitySlicker202

CitySlicker202 Member

92 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    In the "RG3 or Luck" thread, there were the inevitable comparisons of RG3 to Vick/Newton. I feel like people are making these comparisons because all 3 are Black and mobile. However, if that is your ONLY argument, then it is a weak one based off utter laziness to discern more of his actual Steve Young/Fran Tarkenton like skillset.

Have you seen RG3 throw a football on the run? Evade a collapsing pocket and scramble just enough to buy a WR time to get open (4th and 10 at NY rings a bell?). Have you seen him run in a north-south manner that is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from Vick's historical east-west elusiveness? Even when running, RG3 is different from Vick and Newton. And not to mention, RG3 IS a pocket passer who looks to throw first....how many times must this be said?!?! When he does run, it's 2 or 3 designed take offs a game or when the pocket collapses and know one is open.
  8. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    oh wow, him and Alex Smith both. So impressive.
  9. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Pretty smart for a(i'm assuming) skins fan!
  10. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    And this is where people with a limited understanding of the league fall short. Teams have about a week to prepare for an upcoming opponent. Now they may take a closer look and an even more prolonged look at tape for someone who is new and impacting their division but they are primarily focused on the next game. As fans we have all kinds of time to sit around and look at film. But coaches have to get ready for the next game and not get caught looking ahead. Yes they have scouts and yes they have people reviewing tape, but it doesn't get the in depth study someone like Griffen demands. Plus they hardly see all the defensive looks in the first few games of the season.

Also, not all major flaws are "exposed quickly" especially when a team is designing the offense to the players strength.
  11. NIBGoldenchild

993 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    :)

You first.
  12. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :bang2:
    It freaking never ends.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,761 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    I can tell you right now that there are several posters on this board that do know enough about the game of football to be able to comment on this. This is not an opinion, this is a fact.

What I would like you to explain, now that you've basically insulted the collective intelligence of the entire board, is how you come to the conclusion that you can make that statement and support it with fact?
  14. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,100 Messages
    91 Likes Received

For the most part, I do not see anyone questioning the abililty of RGIII. I sure haven't. The question is ,,, would you trade RIGHT NOW. the RIGHT NOW is the driving force my answer anyway. I think RGIII is a great talent today. Not sure he can sustain it. As been pointed out, not one QB that plays his style has been able to. Maybe this kid can. He sure is talented enough. But I will not trade away a GREAT QB right now for one that MIGHT be great but MIGHT be out of the league in 4 years all together.
  15. NIBGoldenchild

993 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Steve Young played in a different era, and running that often back then when they didn't pass as often shows he was considered a running QB, and no different than what Griffin does now. Regardless, he adjusted. Proving yet another falsehood in your argument.

The comparison fits just fine, you just don't like that it hurts your broken logic.

Get over it. :)
  16. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,761 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    Sweet!
  17. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    What's his style? Who are you comparing him to? He is already superior as a rookie compared to vick, vince young, mcnabb, mcnair, cam, and culpepper.(in their first years starting) The thing i've noticed with RG3 is, he isn't over-reliant on any one facet of his game. The kid makes accurate passes all over the field, and consistently makes smart decisions with the football. I don't see how he will somehow regress in year two with his football intelligence. The only area I feel he needs to improve upon, is sliding. that kid gets crushed often.
  18. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I do agree with you on this.
    ESPN did a breakdown of the first 11 games:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/46520/how-not-to-cover-vs-robert-griffin-iii

and found some interesting stats. The question for Griffin is can he learn and improve. I tend to think he can, an example of this is in college, his junior to senior year showed a 40 point jump in passer rating (college system).

I really wanted to see how the 2nd game against the Giants went, but our D couldn't get them off the field in the first half, so it was hard to see if they did better or worse. Likewise the 2nd Cowboys game will provide some insight, as there will be a full 15 weeks of tape, AND may well be a win and in situation for both teams.
  19. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Randall Cunningham rushed over 100 times twice in his career. You know, in the same era that Steve Young played. Your entire rebuttal is devoid of logic, historical context or understanding.

Young ran half as often as Griffin during his most prolific running seasons. That's twice the punishment, minimum. Your comparison is inane and poorly thought out. You still haven't produced a single person who has made the transformation that Griffin will have to make if he wants to be successful long term. There's a reason for that.

It's never been done.

And it's unlikely that Griffin will be the one to change that. He might. But it is extremely unlikely.
  20. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

5,318 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    Unless RG III learns that his arm is his best weapon and not his feet, he will have one of the shortest NFL careers in league history. Look at some of the hits he has already taken (I shudder at how many if he had to play behind Tony's O-line). RG III is a superb athlete no doubt, but this league will figure him out if he continues to rely on his legs more than his head and arm.

No, I would not trade Romo for RG III. Romo is the better QB right now and gives Dallas the best chance to win...

:starspin