1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo or RGIII?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Dec 5, 2012.

1. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,029 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    Plus a 1st rounder...:laugh2:
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,230 Messages
    1,820 Likes Received
    Savvy veteran play by Fletcher--who dropped out of the perceived coverage and deeper into the route tree.
    Romo delivered the ball before he did that. It was an anticipation play by Fletcher that deserves kudos.
    Now maybe Romo should have been even one step further ahead on that one, but sometimes you just have to give credit where it is due and not always throw out blame (not saying you are here) whenever the other team does something decent.
  3. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,285 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    RG3 is already light years ahead of Romo in terms of leadership. The only thing left for me to see is if RG3 is clutch late in year/playoffs.
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,772 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    It really is a sad day when Cowboy "fans" are teaming with redskin fans on a Cowboys board.

I cannot wait to bring this thread back up.
  5. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,019 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    And this has nothing to do with RGIII vs Romo. It is a different question entirely.

Also, if you put Manning behind this line with the injuries that we have, he would already be on IR and considering retirement.

He would not be 9-3, this i guarantee.
  6. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,019 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    My sentiments exactly.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,230 Messages
    1,820 Likes Received
    No doubt. Totally dioffernt circumstances.

Manning is doing great though.

Some of these posts (not sure about Clove) you have to consider the source.
    There are people on this board that trade Romo for just about any NFL backup.
    I'm not kidding.
  8. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,046 Messages
    614 Likes Received
    Not really sure what you're getting at. I'll bet you most GM's would probably make this trade although we know it's far fetched. I wouldn't take RGIII for what he is today. Like it or not, the Skins have a franchise QB for the next 10 years, maybe less because of his running style. He's no Michael Vick and will, more than likely, only get better as he learns the game more.
  9. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,019 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    The question is unfair. To comapare a 32 year old qb to a rookie who is having a statistically great season and who has a high ceiling is silly.

Of course fans of a 6-6 team are going to want that.

If the question was, which do qb do you want for the next 3 years, that would be fair.

Or Romo in his first season or RGIII?

Those are fair questions. Not this silliness.
  10. CitySlicker202

CitySlicker202 Member

92 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    You're bringing up the logistics of how Steve Young and RG3 produce plays while on the run. I don't care about the different offenses they run; I'm talking about the similarities which brings them together as standout mobile QBs. No matter how you choose to slice it, RG3 is like Steve Young to the capacity of elite scrambling ability, pin point accuracy while throwing on the run, and knowing when to take off to make the most of a busted play. And for the record, RG3 doesn't have a Jerry Rice or a Dez Bryant type WR.....he's made due with unproven pass catchers and a now healthy and capable Pierre Garcon.
  11. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,772 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    I am sure you do ...... just does not bother "fans" like you.
  12. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,631 Messages
    127 Likes Received

It's sickening!!!!
  13. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,676 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Im sorry i dont see the comparisons to Steve Young at all, one ran a WCO and the other is running a pistol/option offense, Young for the most part stood in there and threw the ball, he had some scramble in him, but i dont remember him on designed runs.

i think Skin fans are going overboard, just cause its been along time since you guys have had a chance of making the playoffs, and now all of the sudden this rookie QB is the next coming of Steve Young?

he has been impressive but lets not annoint him just yet.
  14. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,046 Messages
    614 Likes Received
    Never mind. I should have known better........
  15. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,081 Messages
    77 Likes Received

Well if i was the GM, I would be concerned over the age of my starting QB. I would be looking for the future, for sure. But at this point, Romo is playing at a high level and i would expect that he would remain playing at a high level for the next 3 or 4 years.

But the Question is would I trade him today. And NO I wouldn't. While i like RG3 and I think he is a tremendous talent, I do not have enough faith that he will remain healthy or playing at this level. Now he might. But if i was a GM, I would not feel comfortable enough to trade off a proven QB for a maybe QB, regardless of the potential of the maybe QB. Now that could change next year or the year after but today I do not make the trade.
  16. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,219 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Please note the # of short, behind line line passes RGIII throws and completes. They result for his higher than average completion percentage. Someone noted such earlier in the thread.

Whether for dropped passes or bad throws, he has problems with the intermediate throws. During both the Thanksgiving game and the Monday night game against NY, the commentators noted repeatedly as to RGIII's failure to place the ball properly to his WRs.

Drops are still incompletions. And while the old saw of "if it hit him in his hands, he should catch it" is always dragged out, there is a difference between hitting a receiver in stride, and said receiver having to dive, leap and twist backwards in attempting the catch. Far more of the incompletions are difficult throws rather than simple drops.
  17. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,219 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    That one sentence clearly indicates how you have no clue as to how to differentiate playing styles and offensive capacities. Enjoy the rest of the thread. Come back once you learn the game.
  18. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,069 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    It's ridiculous IMO.
  19. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

964 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    You're reaching here. I recommend looking at his dropbacks from the steelers game. He may have had two bad throws that entire game, and both were overthrows to flat after the game had got out of hand. I'll admit that was the least composed I'd seen him all season, but I think his frustration came more from his team letting him down than what the steelers defense was doing.

Again, the high amount of throws on or behind the line come from him checking down to his second or third option out of pistol. These are rarely plays where an actual screen was called.
  20. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,241 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I am really struggling to remember a "screen" in the conventional sense.

There are plenty of horizontal routes, but even Joe Gibbs was doing that with Mark Brunell back in 2005.