1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo or RGIII?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,169 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Why is it such a shocker that a 2nd pick overall is good?
  2. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    We have a franchise QB albeit an aging one. I am envious of the fact that they hired a good coach. Jerry is getting schooled on coaching hires.
  3. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,726 Messages
    1,937 Likes Received
    When is our franchise QB going to win more than one play off game? Usually, a franchise QB takes you to multiple play off games, and wins. Even if he doesn't reach the Super Bowl, which a great one SHOULD, but at least consistently make the playoffs and win there. Oops, I'm sorry, it's a team game and the team did nothing around him, and his stats came from him blocking, throwing, catching, and defending.

My bad.
  4. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    Great post. Franchise "QB's" don't grow on trees and drafting one high is no guarantee of success. The Skins were smart for hiring a real coach. The Cowboys have wasted precious years having a franchise QB on REALLY sub-par coaching.
  5. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,726 Messages
    1,937 Likes Received
    Because just because you're chosen high doesn't mean you're going to amount to anything, but I'll take my chances. Try picking 50 undrafted free agents and see how many has a chance to win a Super Bowl. Would be pretty disappointing.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,115 Messages
    3,139 Likes Received
    Because the Skins drafted him.

Sorry...Heath Shuler, Desmond Howard, LaRon Landry (Kills me because I liked him so much), Carlos Rogers, and Michael Westbrook come to mind as top 10 picks in the last 15 years. None of them beat down the world while with the Redskins.
  7. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    When has our franchise QB had a "REAL" coach? The main problem with this team is not the one lining up under center, it's the clown running the show on the sidelines.
  8. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Well Davis sold out for Palmer...

But to your point, and what cml750 said, what JJ needs to be "schooled" on is bringing in people you trust and let them do their work. But what he will probably learn is to go full bore for athleticism, future be damned. And to be clear, what I like about Griffin so far, is the maturity, leadership and confidence this guy has shown. That's where it falls apart when people do comparisons to Newton or Vick, and what makes Griffin, Wilson, and Luck all look like long term successes.
  9. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,726 Messages
    1,937 Likes Received
    Every body tries to compare black to black and white to white, it's just the American way, which is dumb by the way.

Each QB should be judged differently. It's funny because I cover a ton of high school games, on down and sometimes pee wee stuff, and they rarely let the athletic quarterbacks (black white or hispanic) throw the ball because they run so well.

If they would stop that nonsense and allow these young kids to learn to throw more at an early stage, vs trying to win at any cost, then athletic QBs would be unstoppable at the next levels. I won't go too far off base though.

But, we don't know where RGlll is headed in his future. People want to brag about where Romo is vs players who just came out, it's so childish. You don't compare 10 year players to 1st or 2nd year players, it's an idiotic way to argue, but that's a norm here.

Not to mention, for all the bragging people like to do on the Romo vs RGlll front, Romo has no skins on the wall. He has personal stats, and he'll need those to feel good at night, because carrying a team on your back to the playoffs and to the super bowl takes a special type of QB, which we've not seen here since Aikman.
  10. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received

15 years of (mostly) 1st Round Futility

'92 4th overall Desmond Howard
    93 17th overall Tom Carter (who?)
    94 3rd overall Heath Shuler
    95 4th overall Michael Westbrook
    96 30th overall Andre Johnson (OT)
    97 17th overall Kenard Lang
    99 7th overall Champ Bailey (and Jon Jansen in 2nd round) good draft
    00 2nd overall LaVar Arrington
    3rd overall Chris Samuels (best Skins LT since the 80s)
    01 15th overall Rod Gardner
    02 32nd overall Ramsey
    03 - 3 picks in the whole draft Dockery was the only one worth anything
    04 Sean Taylor
    05 Carlos and Jason Campbell
    07 LaRon

Do you realize how depressing that list is to look at as a Skins fan... Ugh
  11. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,079 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    True ...... Roy had a much better career than Taylor.

Unfortunately Taylor is only remembered outside Redskin land for the tragic way he lived and died.
  12. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,291 Messages
    1,465 Likes Received
    I can't even imagine. :laugh2:
  13. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,298 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    Well, that's a lie.
  14. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,726 Messages
    1,937 Likes Received
    You guys have been trying to find a franchise QB, you've just made the wrong decisions, and quite frankly, there are only a hand full of those on the planet.

As for Romo, and I hate saying this and I've said it before, but I try to keep the positivity about him to a minimum because he freezes in big games, and you can't freeze up and win championships.

But he's been cursed with bad coaching all his life as an NFL QB, except for his first (half year) starting. Garrett is a fling it around type of coach, and so any QB will put up numbers in his system. But his offenses are sloppy, and because of this, they can never be a smooth offense.

His offenses can move quickly in the air at points, but we will always have a misread, or a missed throw, or missed assignment, or a penalty, or a drop, or a horrible pass. It's always something with this offense, and it has been since he's been the offensive coordinator.

Luckily for RGlll, he has a world class Head Coach, which was in place before you drafted the franchise QB. It takes a great HC and a great QB to be a world class contender for the Super Bowl. And Shanahan (sp?) was smart enough to hire some young assistants (his sons) to keep him up to date on today's NFL. (I'm sketchy with the facts so excuse me)

But now, with a QB like RGlll in place and a world-class HC, Cowboys are doomed for the next decade or so, unless RGlll turns out to be a bust.Same theory with the Giants. A world-class HC with a franchise QB. Jerry will never allow us to have a world-class HC because he likes being comfortable with the guy who kisses his drunk ***.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,115 Messages
    3,139 Likes Received
    You know what makes it worse? All the picks you traded away to move up for some of these players.
  16. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,298 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    When he learns how to play OL and quarterback in the same game.
    Based on this definition, Dan Mariano, Steve McNair, Roman Gabriel, Dan Fouts and Warren Moon were not franchise QBs. But Danny White, Craig Morton and Donovan McNabb were.
    Absolutely.
  17. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

12,087 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    You sometimes have to go through bad times to hit good times. Appears the skins may have hit the lotto with RG3 and Alfred Morris looks like a real find at RB. Shanahan has had a real knack for finding RB's. The running game Morris has provided has certainly helped RG3.
  18. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    as i said ugh. Believe you me that played into my mind with the Griffin trade, but I was sold on him - see my explanation in the NFL zone - so I didn't fret it. I did however advise my brother not to get his jersey because if he does bust, with what we traded for him, would go down as the biggest bust ever (and i am not talking about Dolly Parton!)

So let me ask you Hostile, I know you are a history buff, so you surely know that many of Griffin's stats are in historic proportions, ie his TD/Int ratio rivals Marino, his completion % so high, first ever rookie qb to have back to back 4td games, top 5 all time passer rating for his 1st game, etc. Given that this is true (I am open to correction but the overall point remains the same - much of his numbers are historically elite), at what point would you make the trade straight up - Romo v Griffin?
  19. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Regardless of everything else, these past two drafts have brought refreshing quality back to the depth of the Skins roster. We were a bare cupboard by the end of the Snyder/Ceratto combo
  20. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,250 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Thankfully the last 4 first round picks are looking much much better

2009- Orakpo- he clearly is missed on the pass rush side and will be a good pass rusher

2010- Trent Williams- turning into an elite LT. Maybe the drug suspension was a good thing because he is balling this year

2011- Ryan Kerrigan- another good pass rusher/OLB who will be a bookend for a long time and has made some big plays

2012- RG3. Nothing needs to be added there

Hitting on guys in the 6th round like Aflred Morris is going to be incredibly critical in the next 2 drafts. He has been an absolute home run
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.