1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo or RGIII?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,211 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Really?? Aikman carried this team on his back?

By the way...on the whole Romo vs. Griffin thing...I really can't say as of now. To me, Griffin has to prove that he can run a pro style offense and consistantly throw the ball to win a game before I would commit to that kind of a deal. Because if he can't, I'd rather draft someone who can instead of trading for a guy who runs so much out of that kind of offense. Not saying Griffin isn't talented...he's just not my kind of QB.
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Do not even try man....... Clove has really gone off the deep end.

I swear his account has been hacked. Resembles nothing like the poster from a few years ago.
  3. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Despite all of that nonsense, we are far better positioned to win this decade then the Cowboys are.

Griffin being the big reason.
  4. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,545 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    you must be one of those guys who think QB is the team. I would take RGIII only because of his age and what he has ahead of him compared to Romo who's years are limited.

Wonder why the majority of people say that Romo is the only reason we are even competing if all it would take is to replace him? :rolleyes:
  5. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,786 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    Morris and RG3 have made a huge impact right out the gate as rookies they're the main reason the skins are on a hot streak and have a chance to win the NFC East. Both players have excited the fan base and have the team believing. Right now the skins future looks a lot brighter than the Cowboys future. Their arrow is pointing up while the Cowboys arrow is pointing down.

Washington has a proven head coach while the Cowboys have one who's proving to be a dud. The Cowboys have an aging corp group and when Romo is over the hill RG3 will be in his prime assuming he stays healthy. The only problem the skins will have the next couple of years is trying to fill some of their other holes in the draft having given up the farm for RG3.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,744 Messages
    2,421 Likes Received
    Hard to answer because I don't believe either team would even consider the trade. I think if Washington offered it and I were Jerry Jones I'd trip over myself to do it right now. But I also think that would be a dumb move that is purely marketing more than a belief this leads to the promised land. Jerry is a marketing guy looking for the **********. That's my answer in a purely fantasy world where a trade like this is offered.

In the real world, I'd need to see 3 years of progression and production to even consider giving up on a QB that is clearly one of the few bright spots I have on my team, and isn't the reason why we're not going any further than we are.
  7. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,545 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    you have to look at age and future at this stage....

If, as a GM mind you (very important), you think your team has everything it needs and is just one or two players away, you stick with Romo who has the ability now.
    If you are building a team for future years, then you go with the younger guy who can be good for years in RG III.
  8. Hostile

118,744 Messages
    2,421 Likes Received
    Talk about a cherry picked condition. We're not quite done with our 3rd year of the decade and you have a 22 year old rookie stud while I have a guy who may or may not play to the end of the decade. Get your shades, your future looks bright.

BTW, I am one bitter, bitter man over the fact you guys are exiting your place in the NFC East cellar. 4 straight years and 6 of the last 8 years. Pisses me off. I am placated slightly by the Eagles stealing your spot.
  9. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Agree with you 95%

Griffin will be a marketing bonanza if he even maintains for a couple of years.

I would think 3 years is a bit stretching, by that I mean, you want to see the first year, and maybe 2/3rds of the the 2nd, unless of course the 2nd year is a strong deviation from the first. Not sure what the extra year gets you except a higher trade cost if his 2nd years numbers remained strong.
  10. KJJ

10,786 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    According to you all the Cowboys need is another QB ANY QB other than Romo and they would be winning.
  11. KJJ

10,786 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones would trade Romo in a heart beat for RG3 just for that reason alone.
  12. dalboy

dalboy one man wolf pack

1,081 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    come back to me after he has his sophomore slump
  13. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Just look at it from this poll alone. 57% of diehard cowboy fans (i didn't vote, subtract whatever other percent or 2 for the skins fans that did vote) are willing to trade their starting qb for griffin straight up. Griffin's marketing appeal is going to be crazy high. And he's pretty good at commercials already (adidas - the light gets into your head, or several gatorade spots). According to ***** Sporting Goods Jersey sales Griffin is the current leading jersey out of all NFL players. craziness.
  14. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,921 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    here is where you need to slow you roll. I voted to trade RG3 for Romo...but I also said the Redskins always find a way to screw something up...and until they prove otherwise...I think they will screw this up to. Right now....EVERY game you take the field without RG3...you would lose. Yes, I said it. With either Grossman or Beck...the Skins would be winless right now. Also, unless you field a better team around RG3...the team will still never be better than .500. Cowboys fans know firsthand how many years can go by with good QB play not resulting in much.
  15. slaga

slaga Member

214 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    You would rather let him spend 3 years in another system, ideally getting better in that system, and then try to grab him when his stock is at its highest? And then turn around and change the offensive system he is accustomed to?

I'd think if you are willing to trade you do it now, and don't lose valuable time that he could be learning / running your offensive system. Even if he has a 15 year career, you just wasted 20% of it letting him be in someone elses system.
  16. Hostile

118,744 Messages
    2,421 Likes Received
    I nearly said 2 years but I said 3 because I don't want to say a sophomore slump that often happens as we know is the deal killer.

I hope that made sense.
  17. slaga

slaga Member

214 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Beck is not a Redskin and Grossman has not dressed for a single game this year. I doubt Grossman sees the field this year at all no matter what happens.
  18. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    yep, that was why I said unless there was a strong deviation (my way of saying sophomore slump :) )
  19. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    When you have a starter in place, who probably has 5-6 years left, and has a consistent high passer rating, and brings value to the team. Yes I could understand letting a trade on a 12 week old rookie qb go. Obviously this trade was just a discussion point since the Redskins aren't entertaining trade offers for Griffin, and certainly not within the division straight up (all though I did hear that Tom Cruise really likes Nick Foles :D)
  20. Hostile

118,744 Messages
    2,421 Likes Received
    In truth, if I am the gambler like Jerry is and this kid's jersey is selling like you mentioned, I do it.

But I want to win, and I think your options are blunted with a rookie and a potential sophomore slump, so I wouldn't make that fictional trade. Which is why my answer was no.