1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo or RGIII?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I like Romo, but based on age and potential alone, you have to go with RG3.
  2. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,607 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I still think the water is a little too muddy and it most likely won't begin to clear until sometime in 2013.

Craig
  3. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,921 Messages
    1,215 Likes Received
    If you were in charge you would be worse than Jerry you picked Romo over RG3 in the poll. Why would you take a 32 year old QB who may only have a couple of good years left over a 22 year old QB who has an incredible skill set and has already proven he can play at a very high level in the NFL?
  4. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,722 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    If anyone in the NFL intentionally does that on purpose, they should be fined.

No Bounty Gate crap...!

However, he better watch out. He already had the head injury.
  5. 5Stars

26,722 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    I did it for the reason that the Cowboys already have a QB that knows the system. Why waste another 3 years trying to make RG3 learn it? Stupid!
  6. CitySlicker202

CitySlicker202 Member

92 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    A common sentiment is that RG3 will sustain many injuries throughout his career because of his style of play. First and foremost, if you play football (especially QB) you will get injured multiple times in your career....sacks hurt and they happen REALLY fast! Granted the concussion he suffered against Atlanta was a reckless scramble and he's been scolded by the coaching staff to never be that foolish again (get the hell outta bounds or slide during designed runs and scrambles).

Let's be clear on another thing, Shanahan doesn't send RG3 out on suicide missions.....that's why it's called a Read "Option" (if the defense over commits to the run, its safe to keep the ball and take off to the opposite side down field). He's barely been touched since that concussion as the message from Shanahan was loud and clear.

Be mindful that Aikman suffered several concussions in 2000 (and at least 8-10 over his career). Again, any QB can get his bell run at any time. If anything, RG3's speed will and HAS helped him avoid high impact sacks in which a statue without mobility couldn't.
  7. 5Stars

26,722 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    Thanks for the lesson...but the whole NFL knows the scheme. They all must have played against it in college. It's not hard to figure out. Maybe RG3 can...figure it out?

This year for you skins look good, but down the road in the next few years?

Have fun with that!
  8. CitySlicker202

CitySlicker202 Member

92 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    If the Pistol Formation and Read Option get "figured out" as many people predict, then you adjust (this is what separates Shanahan/RG3 from Rivera/Newton....Shanahan actually understands playmaking schematics and would know how to alter the gameplan accordingly). A rocket arm with elite accuracy and Olympic wheels doesn't just fade into the wind because of some "video" that's out on him.
  9. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,350 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    Not just "yes", but "hell yes".
  10. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,413 Messages
    2,250 Likes Received
    Perhaps the most important question is this.

If they made the trade, how long would it take for Garrett to put RGIII into a position to be hurt because he isn't as good a play caller as the Skins coaches?
  11. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,413 Messages
    2,250 Likes Received
    As long as the Skins have a running attack that has to be respected, that little play action drop back will work. Putting the linebacker to a decision is what makes this team gin.

Now the other aspect of this is his size. The defense starts dribbling his head off the turf a few times a game and will this end up like Vick this year.

He's a tough kid. But the play action, which buys him time, and his offensive line, which has been good enough have to stay that way or he is going to get roughed up.
  12. 5Stars

26,722 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    Right away.

Any more questions?

:confused:
  13. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,921 Messages
    1,215 Likes Received
    The system isn't working all it's producing is a lot of passing yards, turnovers, penalties and frustration. The passing yards are way up because the Cowboys can't run the ball and are getting way behind. You would be opposed to developing a system that fits RG3 or are you satisfied with what you're seeing now from the offense? :cool: These slow starts that have been the only consistent thing about the Cowboys this season has resulted in them being outscored in the first half 58-13 in their last 3 games.

The only scenario that would make the slightest sense to keep Romo over RG3 is if the Cowboys had a championship caliber team that was capable of winning the SB the next 3 years. If that was the case you go with the experienced QB who's put you in that position. The Cowboys have been a MEDIOCRE team that's been hovering around 500 the past 3 seasons they're not even a serious playoff contender. The fan base hasn't been this down about the team since the Campo years.

With the situation the Cowboys are in right now on track for possibly a losing season and having an aging corp group the team and fans need some hope. A player as dynamic as RG3 brings hope to a struggling team and the fans. Right now the Cowboys have no hope and are staring at a losing season. Garrett needs to be wound up like the robot he is and pointed out of Dallas so he can find a job that doesn't require play calling, game management, motivational skills or emotion. He just needs to find something that no matter how bad things are going he can just walk in, smile and repeat the same thing everyday like everything is hunky dory.
  14. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,021 Messages
    596 Likes Received
    Not sure about this. The Seahawks and the Bears beat the brakes off of us. We were physically dominated. And we were down 23 - 0 to the Giants. And 28 - 3 to the Redskins. It has been a tough year.
  15. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,905 Messages
    1,369 Likes Received
    Depends on some things for me. If I knew, or felt pretty certain, that I'd get the RGIII that has showed up the last few games on a consistant basis for the next 10-12 years then absolutely I would. It would be crazy not to based on the age factor alone.

But I'd have to be damn certain I'd be getting that level of play on a regular basis for the next decade or I'm not making that trade.

I'm more than confident in Romo and I know dang well the guy is going to play his butt off and do so on a regular basis because he's been doing it for multiple years now.

But yeah I'd make the trade if I was sure I'd get that same level or better for the next 10-12 years.
  16. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    This time last yr a lot of people would've said they would trade cam for romo. I'm gonna hold off on the rg 3 hype just a little longer.
  17. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    We need 132 drug tests please!
  18. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,245 Messages
    1,448 Likes Received
    lol!!! :laugh2: 133 now.
  19. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    So, a lot of this conversation has focused on the upcoming sophomore slump, a la Cam Newton. I had pretty much just accepted the premise, it's certainly repeated enough in the media. But I saw a quiz about week 12, with the headline "Cam Newton Sophomore Slump, forget about it" so I thought I would look at his stats. Forget about Win Loss for one minute, because Carolina has a lot of issues going on. Certainly Newton has shown that the critiques about his attitude, and sulky nature were accurate, but that's not a sophomore slump as much as his natural self shining through. So what do his stat's show?
    Passing
    GP CMP ATT % % AVG TD Lng INT FUM QBR Rating
    16 310 517 60.0 4,051 7.84 21 91 17 3 55.0 84.5
    12 204 355 57.5 2,933 8.26 14 82 10 5 49.5 85.8

Rushing
    GP ATT Yds AVG Lng TD FD Fum Lost
    16 126 706 5.6 49 14 51 2 0
    12 95 524 5.5 40 6 39 3 1

A few things that stand out to me:
    1) his INT's dropped from 1+/game to under 1/game
    2) most of his numbers will be very similar this year as last.
    3) his passer rating and yds per pass both increased
    4) his qbr decreased, but I haven't necessarily but into that stat yet, maybe you all have.
    5) his pass attempts per game have decreased on avg 6 a game. This seems to me to say that the offense changed to less passing, but his stats would seem to say that he wasn't the reason.
    6) he still runs about 8 times a game.

I guess bottomline, I don't see a significant sophomore slump in these numbers, and would say that it was more a case of the other intangibles (mainly attitude) and the teams general disarray that have hurt his perception this year.

as to the Griffin/Romo question, they both current have a 67.1 Completion %, if Griffin had a Newtonesque slump of 2.5% he would be at 64.6, or at the same level as Tom Brady (64.8) and Matt Schaub(64.4), and better than 3 of 7 of Romo's season, including his 2nd full year. I could live with that.
  20. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Taking it one step further, and I just did a quick scan of ESPN's top 10 qb's, No current qb has more then a 3% completion drop, but several have high positive jumps in the TD/INT rating. I could see that being the case for Luck with his 1:1 ratio, but imagine if Griffin improves on his 4:1 rate. Wow.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.