1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo or RGIII?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,022 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    RG3 wouldn't be able to handle our WR's.

They wouldn't listen to him.
  2. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    To an extent, yeah, in the MNF post game show they said he had the most passes completed behind the LoS. Also, no way he has long term success with the option read once defenses have some tape on him
  3. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,012 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    Disagree. Jason Garrett would never cater to RG3's strengths. It would be a blood bath.
  4. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,012 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    We throw a pass behind the LOS maybe once or twice a game. :laugh2:

Edit - Nevermind, the average is probably less than that.
  5. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

1,951 Messages
    386 Likes Received
    But how is that padding stats? That play is a big part of their playbook right now and it's working for them.
  6. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,182 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    Can't believe all the RG3 love in here. He is Cam Newton 2.0. Once people see more tape on him he will be very limited.
  7. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,774 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    This is an easy question, if only due to age.
  8. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Whose offense has been far more productive?

It doesn't matter how "complex" or "simple" (which is a totally false canard btw) is if one is effective and one isn't.

The Cowboys offense simply hasn't been effective when it needs to be. Putting up yards and points after going down 28-3 doesn't impress me.
  9. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    If he was Newton 2.0, wouldn't the tape already be out on RG3?
  10. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    So when the shotgun came out, were you against that as well?

If anything, I would argue that the pistol is the next direction, because you allow for downhill runs that the shotgun removes. It allows a qb a split second more time to react and the defense has to account more for a run than in a pure shotgun
  11. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Agree. You see the 49ers adding more pistol elements, NE already has Oregon and UF concepts to their O, Buffalo has ran the pistol as has *gasp* Indy, because Luck can move so well

With guys like Geno Smith and Johnnie football poised to be in the next few draft classes you are going to see the pistol and read option more and more in the NFL in the coming decade. Just wait till Chip Kelly is an NFL head coach :)
  12. jamesdojr

jamesdojr Member

650 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Remember, Cam Newton blew up year number one. So did Vick. They have all the same skills as RGIII. And now look.

Don't annoint RGIII yet. He's pretty frail too and he's gotten blasted this year. He can't take that kind of beating every year or he wont last long at all in this league...
  13. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,350 Messages
    4,312 Likes Received
    Both teams are 6-6 and the Skins score 26ppg and the Cowboys 23ppg. Looks like their production is about the same to me.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,847 Messages
    2,096 Likes Received
    I have to agree. Nothing wrong with the pistol offense. It is a great offense to run the ball out of, I know people focus on the passing and it is important but man when you can run the ball it opens up what an offense can do. If your sitting at 2nd 5 or less it allows the OC to call any number of plays.

RGIII does not have to throw the ball all day long he just needs to be effective when he does throw it. Washington may only throw 2 or 3 deep balls all day but when teams are forced to bring their safety up to stop getting ripped on the run it opens things up so that those 2 or 3 deep balls have a chance for great success.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,614 Messages
    2,005 Likes Received
    All true.

Griffen and Morris are so deadly in the run game that teams always end up cheating down. Then, when they go deep it's a very easy play relatively speaking.
    It's a well designed offense given the skill sets of the players involved.

Fun to watch when it's clicking.
    I look forward to Dallas beating them in Washinton wk 17. :)
  16. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Your board has been complaining about the 'Boys lack of first half scoring. The scoring you guys have done (like on TGiving) has been in serious comeback mode. On TGiving, whenever the game was in doubt (2nd quarter or late 4th) RG3 moved the ball on O and got points. Our O has been far more productive and not relying on rallies to pad scoring totals.

Yup, which is the genius of the pistol and the zone blocking scheme.

The play action game based off the read option/ZBS is deadly, which is why it is going to be incredibly difficult to "get tape on it and shut it down"

The pistol/read option allows multiple plays and multiple options from the exact same formation. Aldrick Robinson's 68 yard TD came out of a full house backfield, which for any defender looks like an option run about to hit him. The Cowboys secondary didn't have a chance on that play

To me this is the true beauty of the offense. If it continues along this path RG3 will never have to be a one man team, despite the fact that the effectiveness of this O relies on him being out there. The Redskins were able to, despite an overwhelming TOP advantage by the Giants, essentially run the ball to victory on Monday Night.

As you guys saw in the '90s, passing numbers don't matter when you get wins via the run. This board would consider Troy Aikman average at best because of how effective your 1991-1995 running game was
  17. Doomsday101

75,847 Messages
    2,096 Likes Received
    Like any offense or defense it comes down to players executing. X's and O's on a play sheet never won a game players executing does.
  18. Doomsday101

75,847 Messages
    2,096 Likes Received
    I agree. 90's Cowboys used the run very well, we did not need Troy putting up 300 yards like Elway, Kelly, Marino, Favre or Young but we won.

Troy was not interested in his personal stats he wanted to win and best way was to take the league best rusher that allowed Dallas to stay in very manageable down and distance to use the entire playbook and to keep defense guessing.

When Dallas did get into a passing war as we did vs GB in the NFC Championship Troy showed he had every bit of ability as the rest but Dallas relied a lot on the running game.
  19. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

974 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    So what you're saying is, RG3 isn't smart enough to adjust and mature the way every successful QB in history has. Instead, because he can run, he is destined to follow Vince Young and Mike Vick and ultimately become a bad quarterback.
  20. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,610 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    As much as I hate to admit it, its not really close, RG3 wins by a landslide. I don't usually get into comparing players, and got alot of love for Romo, but its really a no brainer at this point in each of their careers.

In 5 years, RG3 will be in his prime and we will be at the bottom of the division hoping to find a QB. We don't even have anything that we could trade for him at this point, and its not even close as much as I hate the Skins.

Can't underline enough how much I hate the Skins, the Giants have 2 rings recently but I really don't care.....but I don't like the Skins being good at all.