1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo or RGIII?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

68,982 Messages
    9,385 Likes Received
    Complaining about slow starts and suggesting one team operates their offense more effectively is not really the same thing.

Would we want the team to do more in the first half? Absolutely, but if the 2nd half achieves the end result of a W, I'm not gonna give the W back for the sake of crying that it took a 2nd half rally to achieve it.

And can you really crow when both teams have the exact same record? Sorry, the Skins started out in pure suck mode...and the Cowboys have played around .500 all season. For all the moaning and groaning by Cowboys fans and the overwhemling excitement Skins fans have over RGIII, right now, both teams are in the same boat.

The question is whether the Cowboys can continue to stay afloat and the Skins don't falter down the stretch.
  2. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,157 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    LOL at all the people WAITING for more tape. The NFL is SUPER sophisticated these days. There are scouts, advanced scouts, pro scouts, college scouts, etc.....We have 12 weeks of film on this guy. 4 more weeks is going to unlock some secret code?

From DAY 1....DAY 1...against New Orleans...as I sat and watched the game...and saw how many smoke screens they started the day off with...I turned to my buddy and said...RG3 will frustrate the Saints all day. The play calling, matched with his ability is going to keep the defense lunging, gusessing, hesitating...essentially not "playing fast" Which allows OL and RB and WRs that are not OVERLY talented get the space, hole, seperation to make plays. There is only 1 or 2 guys on the Redskins that could start in Dallas (Trent Williams and RG3)....and yet they have from day one moved the ball and scored with a ROOKIE RB and QB...and their so called #1 WR has missed most of the season. He has shown poise beyond his years. At the ends of halves or in the 2 min...the defense is on pins and needles...because he can throw it...or send everyone deep and take off and get 15+. What are you going to do? Spy on him? Good luck having ANY LBer in the league win a one on one battle with him in space.

He is NOT Cam. Cam is a lumbering power type of runner. RG is quick, fast, elusive. And I have not even mentioned how strong of an arm he has. Or how accurate he is. The only thing that will stop him from winning big will be injuries...or the Redskins failing to improve the team around him(which is a sure bet). He has been hit, and hit...and hit....and he comes back every week with the same spring in his step. I don't wish injuries on anyone. But hitting him has proven not to matter much.
  3. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Well-Known Member

1,016 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    You play a lot of games then:
    Romo Splits : 19 TD, 15 INT, 28 sacks
    distance comp att %

Behind Line of Scrimmage 35 50 158 70.0
    Pass Thrown 1-10 yds 204 265 1,723 77.0
    Pass Thrown 11-20 yds 49 92 964 53.3
    Pass Thrown 21-30 yds 6 27 170 22.2
    Pass Thrown 31-40 yds 6 13 228 46.2
    Pass Thrown 41+ yds 2 9 114 22.2

GriffinIII: 17 TD, 4 INT, 25 sacks

Behind Line of Scrimmage 57 71 307 80.3
    Pass Thrown 1-10 yds 96 144 871 66.7
    Pass Thrown 11-20 yds 41 64 874 64.1
    Pass Thrown 21-30 yds 7 10 199 70.0
    Pass Thrown 31-40 yds 0 4 0 0.0
    Pass Thrown 41+ yds 4 11 246 36.4
  4. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,529 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    Point being that the Redskins OL certainly aren't much better.

The only reason ? Not the turnovers as well ?
    The mobility in spite of the poor overall line ?

Come on...
  5. JerryJonesMustGo

JerryJonesMustGo Active Member

449 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Romo fan but RGIII all day long.

Younger, more mobile and ceiling is the best QB in the NFL.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

25,698 Messages
    3,527 Likes Received
    I think he said he IS smart enough to adjust. re-read it.

His point was that once he does adjust (scale back running to prolong a career) his job as a passer will become far more difficult.

I happen to think RG3 will be able to survive by relying on almost entirey passing. But he's right about the history of that not occurring. I believe he can based more on his current passing skills. Watching him throw compared VY is like night and day.
  7. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,718 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    Wow.. 60% here would be in favor of that trade. I'm surprised it isn't 95%.
  8. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    You have Williams and Montgomery possibly going to the pro bowl..
  9. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,300 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    This is what excites me. RG3 doesn't HAVE to pass the ball but has shown the ability to make the throws when a D commits to the run (again see the bomb on TGiving to Robinson, that might be my favorite play of the year to be honest because of everything happening in it)

I hope the direction of this O is to rely on the run and take shots when they are open, I find that to be a far more effective formula for championship football, even in this era of passing
  10. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,717 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    Well its easy to see that with the threat of the run game, and his ability to scramble, it really puts a pause on the pass rush and LBs so that really helps the OL in Washington.

I have to agree, the Skins OL is not much better than ours at the moment. They put alot of pressure on the backend, especially safeties.
  11. SkinsHokieFan

2,300 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    TWilliams yes, but Will Montgomery? :laugh2:

I have known him since HS, good for him for being an NFL center for as long as he has but there is no way the kid is anywhere near pro bowl caliber
  12. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,044 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    You remind me of my uncle, who said the WCO wasn't football because it wasn't what he was used to. The game evolves, there are old men who used to play college football in the 50's who refuse to watch today's game because they don't think it's real football. Advances in football happen all the time, some schemes stick, other schemes are wildly successful and then fizzle out. Now THAT is football.
  13. SkinsHokieFan

2,300 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    The thing is, schemes such as the spread option and the pistol comes from OLD veer concepts which were used decades ago. Things are cyclical in football, there isn't a whole lot that you can actually do in the game, but how and where certain concepts are applied certainly change over time.

The 49ers are essentially running Gibbs' power scheme of the '80s with a read option element to it since Kapernick has been starting.
  14. DFWJC

25,698 Messages
    3,527 Likes Received
    That's preposterous

Look, this thread is as much or more about the future than it is today.
    No need to make this into "who is better right now" thread.
  15. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,717 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    Only on the Zone it would be 60%.

Its not really that close, if I was the Skins I wouldn't take anyone on our team straight up for RG3. Ware and Romo are old in comparison, and noone else on our team is worth a franchise QB.
  16. SkinsHokieFan

2,300 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    With both o-lines, the only one I consider a "superior" player is Trent Williams right now.

Lichtenschiger/Montgomery/Chester/Polumbus are all JAGs IMO. Polumbus is in particular terrible in pass protection.

They do however all fit the running scheme very well.
  17. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,059 Messages
    1,489 Likes Received
    Thanks for posting this. Any break down for the number of passes to RBs and Receivers behind the LOS?
  18. DFWJC

25,698 Messages
    3,527 Likes Received
    They aren't as much JAGS in that scheme, imo.
  19. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,529 Messages
    70 Likes Received

We are talking OL. But the same would apply to the same player wearing that uniform instead.
  20. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

476 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    This has quickly become a great thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.