1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo or RGIII?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    No team wants to see the Cowboys get a legit coach. Heck even some of our own fans are scared of how much better we would be.
  2. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Meh, i think a legit coach may already be here. I wish we could get a legit GM.
  3. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,247 Messages
    1,449 Likes Received
    Excellent post. We need more posters like you around here.
  4. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Cunningham played 1985-1995 (main team)
    Steve Young took over from Montana in 90 played till 98
    McNabb played from 1999 to 2009 (main team)
    Vick 2001-2006, 2009-2011

Wikipedia can tell you any player's length that you would include in the group.

A point of reference, Peyton Manning, a qb who we all would agree was not the mobile scrambler type played from 1999-2010, and was out a year with his neck injuries.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Based on what? Winning? Playing guys to their strengths? Game management? Overachieving? Anything? What is this mythical thing Garrett has done?

Yes.. If Garrett had a GM that could build a perfect team he would be good. But he'll never have that and all of his philosiphies won't work with this team.
  6. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,877 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    I might be tempted, but the question is moot because the Redskins would laugh at the suggestion.
  7. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

2,706 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    And you know this how???
  8. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,010 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Then I agree. In a perfect world, I would love defenses to call their plays, respecting his ability to run, yet Griffin not running anymore than necessary. He's a rookie, so he has a lot to learn to become a dominating passer...but for now I'll take his planned running plays over the horrible interceptions Luck has thrown. Griffin can still develop his game and bypass that aspect of development. People forget that Big Ben, early in his career, rarely threw the ball more than 15 times a game. They had an excellent running attack with Bettis and Parker, years later when they needed him to throw more...he did, and he was successful.

I love using comparisons to the early years of white quarterbacks since all of the comparisons I see for Griffin never seem to cross the racial barrier.
  9. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Gotcha, no I couldn't find the breakdown. I tend to believe Griffin would work in your offense too, the fact that he hasn't thrown much seems much more to be a choice of Mike Shanahan, Kyle (and Griffin I have heard) have favored opening up the offense more, but MS wants to go forward more slowly. I don't see that his percentages would change dramatically, and I would love to see Griffin hitting Bryant (if both are were in the Burgundy and Gold)
  10. DavidAK

DavidAK New Member

796 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Of course you mak this trade. It's not even debatable. RG3 is a rookie playing at a high level, the sky is the limit for him. We know what Romo is. He's been great at times but he is what he is. Besides he's only getting older. Listen I like Romo, he's our guy.

But you make this trade in a heart beat.
  11. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,021 Messages
    597 Likes Received
    Really....I am loyal to the star...not the name on the back of the jersey. I actually had a Cowboy fan upset with me Monday night because I was rooting for the Skins. I actually know Redskins that would not root for the Cowboys under ANY circumstances. Listen, I do NOT like the Redskins. But I like winning MORE than I dislike the Redskins. All 6-6 records are not equal. Ours feel like we are stuck in neutral or trending downward. Theres feels like they are trending upward. Having said all of that....I live in DC..and the Redskins ALWAYS seem to screw things up...and I expect no different with RG3. All of his talent will not be able to overcome the fact that the Redskins just can't seem to get right.
  12. Wayne02

2,706 Messages
    806 Likes Received

Well said sir. Any poster who tries to compare RG3 with Cam and Vick needs to read this post and educate themselves.
  13. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,010 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Why thank you, sir. :D
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,187 Messages
    2,028 Likes Received
    I guess that would depend on how you measure productivity but honestly, what does that have to do with the point of my post? The complexity of an offense does not lend itself to how successful or unsuccessful that offense is. The Cowboys of the 90s had one of the simplest offenses in the League and yet they were probably the most successful, most effective offense of the time period. You can argue San Francisco and that would be fair but even still, the point is that complexity is not a determination on how successful an offense is.

The statement in question is one of decision making and at what level each QB is at right now. RG3 could not come in right now and run the Dallas Offense. There really is no question of that. It is unfair to say that he is a better decision maker right now based on the fact that he is playing in a very simplified offense in Washington. That's not a knock against him but it is a fact. If he had to play in the Dallas offense, he would not be nearly as successful and his numbers would be much, much worse.

I do not argue the point of success or lack there of when it comes to the Dallas offense. I agree that it is not a very good offense but then again, that's not really the question is it. The question is one of development between the two QBs. Romo is clearly a more developed QB at this point in time. There is no question about that.

Feel free to believe in whatever Canard you wish but please, in future, at least take the time to understand what the point of my post is.

Thank you.
  15. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,956 Messages
    1,222 Likes Received
    This would be a no brainer trade and the poll results would reflect it if it were reality and not fantasy. Not only would you be getting an extremely talented duel threat QB who's been as good as advertised but you're getting a QB who's 10 years younger than Romo. You can't pass on the opportunity to be set at QB for the next decade or more with a player that has the skill sets and potential that RG3 has. Someone mentioned they wouldn't make the trade and brought up Cam Newton as an example but Cam had accuracy issues that concerned many prior to him being drafted. He surprised everyone his rookie year and has come back to earth. Newton doesn't come off as mature or as intelligent as RG3.

RG3 has been everything everyone thought he would be and will only get better. The big concern with him are the hits he takes. Once he turns into a runner defenders are looking to take him out so concussions and other injuries will always be a concern with him. My vote to take RG3 has nothing to do with any dislike for Romo. It has to do with age differential and knowing we've probably seen the best of Romo and haven't come close to seeing the best of RG3.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,498 Messages
    2,376 Likes Received
    Steve Young is a somewhat decent comp, imo. Dude isiIrritating at times though....i digress.

Lot's of good points here about RG3 work ethic and character as well.
    If you combine that with great physical tools, the result is usually that the player comes much closer to reaching his full potential. Nothing new there, but just saying. That does set him aprt from the some of the others.

It's just hard not to like the kid. I hope he keeps his head screwed on but saves his worst games for Dallas.
  17. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Only an fool would keep bringing someone's race into this. It doesn't have a dang thing to do with it. Geez, some people need to get over this stupid race card mentality. Just because you use that doesn't mean you are right.
  18. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,525 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    How are Cam and RG3 similar as players other than race?
  19. Wayne02

2,706 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Out of everything he said in that post the only thing you can concentrate on was the race part? Ridiculous, please re-read it and then make an intelligent post next time.
  20. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,956 Messages
    1,222 Likes Received
    They're both a duel threat who can run and throw but RG3 is a better, smarter more mature player.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.