1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Romo says he wanted to go for it or kick the 61-yard field goal

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 17, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,145 Messages
    6,943 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Quarterback Tony Romo said he either wanted to go for it or have Dan Bailey try the 61-yard field goal.

He almost had coach Jason Garrett convinced. Ultimately, Garrett decided to punt, and the game went to overtime, where the Cowboys beat the Steelers 27-24.

“I was vocal about it, but Jason, he went back and forth a few times and then he did a great job of understanding the game situation and what took place,” Romo said. “You know a lot of that. You go ask the kicker where their line is, what their spots are. Before the game, they come up with that. It’s hard because you don’t want to deviate. But at that moment in the game, do we deviate from what we’ve said all along?

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...go-for-it-or-kick-the-61-yard-field-goal.html
  2. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,530 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    Punting was the correct decision.
  3. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

6,238 Messages
    1,454 Likes Received
    Thank God Red J din't listen to the gun slinging Romocoaster:star:
  4. Wezsh0T

Wezsh0T Well-Known Member

1,307 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    This is what makes Garrett good and bad at times. He made the right call today. Everyone in the game thread wanted to go for it on 4th down. I thought going for it was the right call too. Garrett had one of those games where the majority of the calls he made landed on the correct side.

Garrett said he had to think without emotion.

“Emotionally, you say, ‘Hey, what do you think? But if you miss that, the game is over. They’re going to kick the field goal,or they’re going to score a touchdown. You have to take the emotion out of it and do the right thing.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ick-the-61-yard-field-goal.html#storylink=cpy
  5. coyboy

coyboy Member

113 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Great job Coach Garrett!
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,675 Messages
    9,902 Likes Received
    I had no idea he was really considering the kick. I thought it was merely a ploy to get Pittsburgh to burn a timeout.
  7. TonyS

TonyS Well-Known Member

1,424 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Did Pitt burn the timeout or did Dallas? At the time, the screen indicated Dallas called it.
  8. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,045 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    They both did I believe. Dallas called the first one and then came back out with the punt team. At that point, Pitt called one.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    Yep.

This doesn't really seem like news...of course your quarterback should want the ball.
  10. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,973 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    This doesn't surprise me at all. Romo is a gunslinger always trying to make a big play; it's in his blood to go big or go home.
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,140 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Punting the ball was the right choice, I would have loved to see Garrett run the ball a few times out of the shotgun...
  12. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,529 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    It's news that the QB wants the team to go for it? lol
  13. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,052 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    Me too. Takes a little shine off the victory. Well, not really, but still...

No way do you kick that FG
  14. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,067 Messages
    1,128 Likes Received
    If you have faith in your kicker to kick a 61 harder? You do. I personally don't have faith in Bailey or most kickers to make that kick but they see Bailey a lot more than I do and if they thought he could kick a 61 harder at home, i'd have to believe he can make it.
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    I was glad Garrett choose to punt. I kept thinking that maybe they would direct snap to Bailey and with no return man back there pin Pitt back. However trying the kick would have been a big risk
  16. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,917 Messages
    1,381 Likes Received
    The punt was the right call.

I understand the player wanting to go for it, that doesn't surprise me, but Garrett made the right call.
  17. cowboyz

cowboyz Well-Known Member

1,737 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    the right call was to run on 3rd to burn the clock. Then run a 4th or kick with no time on the clock
  18. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    had they kicked that....I fear today would be a different mood around these parts
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,931 Messages
    7,686 Likes Received
    For me, it was a situation where there was no call I liked, at all. The punt was obviously too far. Kicking it seemed like a mistake, too. I was more inclined to go for the conversion. (It was fourth and 4, right?).
  20. GusTheo

GusTheo Active Member

166 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Punt was absolutely the right call. At that point in time, you play for OT. It's not like the old NFL rules where if you lose the toss you essentially lost the game. If you go for a conversion and don't make it, you're in serious trouble. If you make it, you still aren't guaranteed to win the game. You still have a LONG FG you need to kick. That's without taking into account any possible negatives like turnover, offensive penalty, sack, etc.