1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo Sports Psychologist?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by JerryJonesMustGo, Jan 1, 2013.

1. JerryJonesMustGo

JerryJonesMustGo Active Member

298 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    During the early 90's, a pitcher named John Smoltz claimed a Sports Psychologist helped him to turn his career around. Perhaps Romo would benefit from have some positive reinforcement before a big game? It's clear that these failures have got into his mind.
  2. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,821 Messages
    1,227 Likes Received
    You're not thinking Jerruh's pep talk is sufficient? :lmao2:
  3. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,623 Messages
    1,431 Likes Received
    Romo is a psychological mess when it comes to big games. True, he has not had any help from management... but watching him in big games is like watching the three stooges.

Without him - we'd be 5-11..... with him - we'll never win the big one...or so it seems...

The bottom line as far as I'm concerned and as I've stated elsewhere, until such time we get OL/DL help - it really doesn't matter who we have at QB - we don't have the overall talent to get to the SB and contend.

Fix it from the inside out.
  4. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,924 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    I agree that this is the best approach, although it remains to be seen whether Romo will crater in playoff-type games even if the O-line protection is good...
  5. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,818 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    I pray Romo leaves...I really Do, then we will really have some fun on this message board next season.

I hope he get's a ring if he leaves
  6. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Even if he goes to the Eagles?
  7. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,385 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    Can this sports psychologist block an inside blitz?
  8. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I hate to say this, because I'm his biggest fan. But in an interview before the game, I can't recall exactly what it said, but my memory recalls him almost saying something like "if we lose this game, it's not the end of the world". He didn't say that, but he hesitated before a question about the game, almost like he was going to say that and then went on to say something else.

It's not all his fault though. The OL was terrible and that play call wasn't the best call.

Anyway, no excuses. I just can't remember a time when I was more upset being a fan. This year hurt badly.
  9. Everson24

Everson24 Well-Known Member

1,089 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    I have often wondered what would have happened if Tony had not fumbled the snap in Seattle. I know it wasn't as a quarterback but It was still Tony Romo who fumbled and he had to hear it all of the next off-season and beyond. I do think the media has some say in who is clutch and who is a choker. Tell someone that he cant do it (especially an undrafted FA) and it gets in his head and becomes a psychological block.

Tony Romo received way too much blame for the playoff loss against the Giants and Vikings but he certainly heard the criticism from the media. I think now he presses when he is put in that situation and maybe a sports psychologist is his only hope left at this point.
  10. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,048 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    I think Romo needs an offensive line and a real fullback more than a psychologist. If he does see a psychologist, though, he could ask him/her why he always knew where Laurent Robinson, Jason Witten, and Terry Glenn would be on a given route, but not Kevin Ogletree or Roy Williams.
  11. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,548 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    How will that stop him from throwing the ball to the other team?
  12. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

700 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    I'm reposting from my own post in the news zone because I think it's related to this conversation

I don't know if a sport psychologist is all that is needed, but it couldn't hurt at this point.
  13. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

700 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Depends on if the blitzer had an unhappy childhood.
  14. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,048 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    From a QB perspective, some interceptions are preventable (the last one Romo threw against Washington would be a perfect example), and some aren't, when the receiver isn't where he is supposed to be in a timing offense that requires the QB to throw the ball before the receiver makes his final cut.
  15. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,575 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    At the end of the day you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If Romo was 6 years younger I think you stick with him and hope he matures. Guess what? Romo is a soon to be 33 year old QB that is just as likely to make a rookie mistake than not.

Craig
  16. thestarwillreturn

thestarwillreturn New Member

20 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a firm believer that especially at the QB position, he has to have a certain confidence that he will make the play when the team needs it. You can go on and on about other offensive flaws but the fact is, Romo knows what he has and he should know what play he can or cannot make at this point in his career. First few throws and first INT examples of simply not being accurate. Farvre used to be the same way early in big games, but fortunately had the one year '96 when they got over the hump. I think erratic QB play is a higher risk of non success than a steadier QB even if the steady does not have bigger game potential. To combat pressure, QB has to be poised. Romo should seek a Sports shrink, nothing wrong with it. Basketball's Tim Duncan did and it changed his game (used to mentally break down on free throws in big games).
  17. DallasDomination

DallasDomination Well-Known Member

6,239 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Romo has the skill set to play with anybody in the league. the one thing he lacks that will derail him is confidence. He's a mess when he gets thay deer in the headlights look. He needs to fix that on his own.
  18. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,590 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    I would prefer we get him a halfway decent team instead. He was fine in 2009 when we last had a team that was a worth a crap.
  19. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Active Member

940 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    If Romo played on any other team what would happen to him? Would someone like Bilichick be looking for another QB? I've been thinking along these lines trying to come up with an answer
  20. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,818 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    Yes, this will be sweeter for the Romo haters.