1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo Stats Not Stans

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Staubacher, Sep 23, 2013.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,028 Likes Received
    We just disagree. Balance, IMO, is what wins games. None execution is what loses games. Those are two different things.
    ufcrules1 and Ender like this.
  2. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

3,134 Messages
    2,064 Likes Received
    So you care about small sample sizes and good fortune over sustained success over long periods of time?

Interesting way to live life.
    Nav22 and Carharris2 like this.
  3. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,532 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    +1

The Cowboys record when they have balance vs their record when they get pass happy pretty much attest to this statement. Its hard to argue with wins and losses.
  4. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

2,075 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Anyone that thinks Alex Smith is a better QB than Tony Romo does not have a grasp on football, or reality for that matter. Blindly hatin'.
  5. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,472 Messages
    1,630 Likes Received
    Do the people who say "lets see Romo in December" not watch the games or something? The guy is consistently one of, if not the, highest rated QB in the month of December.
    Nav22 likes this.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,629 Likes Received
    That's fair.

I just felt the need to clarify that I do agree that there are situations where we should be using runs where we don't always do it. I downplay the importance of an effective running game a lot, but it doesn't mean that I think running the ball is not important in the right situations.
  7. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,150 Messages
    1,164 Likes Received
    The giants loss 38-0 reminded me of when Aikman led the boys to a 35-0 beat down
  8. ABQCOWBOY

35,186 Messages
    2,028 Likes Received
    Idgit, I hope you know that I respect your opinion as much as anybody on this board and I can say that about you, even before you became a MOD. One has nothing to do with the other. I just feel pretty strongly about this issue and how important it is to our team.

Right or wrong, that's what I believe.
    Idgit likes this.
  9. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,383 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Running isn't what keeps the defense fresh, first downs are, and most of the time, if the Cowboys stuck to the run with their 2 yard average, then the defense would be wore out by halftime.
    Nav22 likes this.
  10. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,093 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I am not sure who wrote that he was having one of his best seasons ever so far but that is a silly statement if meant seriously. He probably has the lowest average per attempt of his career and the lowest number of big plays. The only thing he has done better is 1 interception which some may be more excited about that others. While I am excited about it, I would be more excited if it came with bigger plays downfield - which you need to win in the NFL these days. We got a lot of the big plays yesterday in the running game which made up for it.

I think Romo is playing too cautious - and I did not get to watch the game yesterday. There were a few times in the KC game where Romo needed to see if Dez could make a play by throwing it up to him in 1-1 situations. I know Dez dropped the one ball but Romo never went back to him after that but threw a ton of passes in the flat in longer yardage situations.

The Romo of 2007 is the best he ever played IMO because he was having fun playing football. The garbage with the Giants playoff loss and the Vacation to Mexico changed Romo negatively IMO. I have been one of his biggest supporters and have loved watching him play for the last 6 years or so. I don't like so far what the performance vs Washington last year has seemed to do to him either as it seems to have made him more cautious. I hope he opens it back up!
  11. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,472 Messages
    1,630 Likes Received
    I mentioned that, SO FAR, he MAY BE having his best season ever. And SO FAR, he is. He's top 5 is every major category except yards, while not turning the ball over at all.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

35,186 Messages
    2,028 Likes Received
    Running does keep the Defense fresh but more importantly, it keeps the OL fresh. However, I get what you are saying. If you are three and out, then you are three and out but, on a running play, the clock keeps moving so in reality, a three and out in the run game, as opposed to the passing game, does provide the defense with more time to rest.

However, your point is well taken.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,629 Likes Received
    I love you to, man.
    And, yeah, the feeling's mutual, and it's just a matter of a differing analysis. I"m enjoying the debate entirely. My take on the running game is easy to misunderstand, and it spans many many threads, so I try to be as specific as possible since the repetition starts to add up, eventually. :)
  14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,964 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    For the Rams, I felt like he played very, very well.

For the Chiefs game; if you are going to make the decision to pass over 70% of the time AND you are getting solid pass protection, you have to force them to defend the entire field. I don't know if it's our routes or a more conservative game plan, but you have to show that you are liable to throw some balls deep and down the middle. This may mean a lower completion percentage and a pick sometimes, but that has to be an acceptable conclusion when you become pass first.
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  15. Awakened

Awakened the Dude abides

800 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Flacco is the Jim Plunkett of his era!!!
  16. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,247 Messages
    1,449 Likes Received
    Right, and how did that work against the first 3 teams he played this year?
  17. ufcrules1

7,247 Messages
    1,449 Likes Received
    Yeah, because we have had long sustained success with Romo?
  18. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,347 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    Not sure I understand what you're saying. The first 3 teams really didn't take him out of his comfort zone.

Alex Smith's career record when the opponent scores at least 24 points:

2-27-1
    Afigueroa22 and nickjamesw43 like this.
  19. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

3,134 Messages
    2,064 Likes Received
    We have had long sustained excellence at QB since Romo became the starting QB.

Thankfully now we are starting to give him a defense and offensive line.

For all the Romo haters...realize he was play with no oline, no running game and no defense.

How is that working out for Eli?

Did Romo ever look as bad?
    SDCowboy85 likes this.
  20. ufcrules1

7,247 Messages
    1,449 Likes Received
    Alex played on a pretty attrocious team when he first started in the NFL, so that random stat you pulled out doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Anyway, I never meant to have a discussion about Alex Smith and Flacco vs. Romo. Some guy obsessed with Romo started that on the first page of this thread. If someone asked me who I would rather QB our team in order.. I would "personally" rank them Flacco, Smith, and then Romo. Just my opinion. I don't really care if anyone agrees with me or not. Although I don't care for Romo, it doesn't stop me from rooting for him and the team to win. Romo played average to below average vs. the Giants, he played like crap against the Chiefs, and he played wonderfully against the Rams. Not really a reason for anyone to say pound their chest and say.. "I told ya so".
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.