1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo stunk yesterday

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by bpfred, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Fonzie

Fonzie New Member

12 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I know, I was pointing out how illogical some people are being.
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,917 Messages
    1,383 Likes Received
    Hmmm....interesting. The defense gives up 300+ yards to Megatron and nearly 500 passing yards to Stafford and this is the fault of Romo. The guy who played well, had us up by 10, only to watch his D completely crap the bed in the end.

I particulary love the comment where Stafford out played him despite throwing 2 INTs. If Romo had the same game and the Cowboys won people would be screaming about how lucky the team got because Romo turned it over too much.

Unbelievable how stupid a portion of this fan base is.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    I don't think this is fair Section. I mean, I think you have to give it to Stafford because he did play one hell of a game but I don't think it's fair to just say Romo got outplayed. Truth is, Romo had to play against a much better defensive unit then Stafford did. Put Stafford behind our OL and let the Detroit Front Four rush him and I think the results are different. Detroit is very good up front. They get a decent CB and some better LBs and they are going to be Seattle good. Maybe better defensively.
    Section444 likes this.
  4. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    I don't care how good a team is, when their defense gives up 24 points in the 4th, chances are, that team will not win.
  5. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,254 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I didn't say he was the only one to blame for the loss, I said he shared in the blame and he does. He played like crap for most of the game. He wasn't the only reason though, the coaches, and defense played a big role in the loss. Romo is not absolved in the blame though. He has also looked like crap since the Denver game and all against sketch defenses.

Romo shared in the in that game too. He threw the interception at the end that ended the game. Kindly note our defense wasn't the only defense that gave up a ton of points in that game, so did Denver's. At the end of the game we are tied and Romo has the ball with 2 minutes and what does he do? Throws an ill timed interception. How can you say he played no role in the loss?

Yup, they 100% share in the blame too.

Funny how we always seem to have this epic meltdown losses isn't it? Coaches come and go and yet it still seems to always happen.
  6. ufcrules1

7,254 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I agree with this. Romo looked lethargic and sloppy out there from the get go. He showed up a little towards the end of the game but it was too little too late. We should have put away that team. The coaches should have let Tony throw for the first down to seal the game, they were scared of what might happen though.
  7. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,138 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    Since you brought up that play, .. I see that play impacted by the offensive line being shoved back in his face as he tries to throw, with an OLineman stepping on his foot as he steps in to the throw, and the rookie TE runs the wrong route.

Like I said earlier, talk about other games and I'll agree with you. Take last years season ending throw in Washington, .. poor decision, bad throw.

I will blame him when I think it is his fault, but not when I don't think it is.
  8. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,043 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    What a ignorant take. Romo was under constant pressure and never had enough time to make more than one read. Do you even understand football?
  9. ufcrules1

7,254 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Season ending throw.. or throw(s)? He had 3 INT's that were all his fault. He plays a big role in this team being .500. It's ok, you don't see it now, but eventually you will. That Washington game brought a few Romo homers over to the other side..(Revolution, Catch17, and etc). Eventually once you have seen it enough for yourself, you will change your tune too. I was once were you are now.
  10. AmberBeer

3,043 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    If you got blasted like Romo did from the defense, you'd be on the sidelines. What a riduculous take on your part. Shows you are ignorant about football.
  11. bpfred

bpfred Member

94 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Romo was taking a lot of snaps from the shotgun. In the shotgun, he should be able to get a decent pass off to a receiver like Dez Bryant who is single covered in 1.5 seconds. Peyton Manning does it on a regular basis to his receivers. He doesn't take that many big hits as a result. In 1.5 seconds, if not under press coverage, Bryant should be able to get 12-13 yards downfield. While the ball is in the air, if the ball is thrown on a line, he should be able to run 6-7 more yards. That's an 18-20 yard route, more if the ball is lofted. All without taking much risk from the pass rush.

A lot of the hits Romo takes, not all, are because he holds onto the ball so long. Sometimes it works, he gets the protection, or he scrambles, sometimes he takes hits. But the toughest QBs to defend are the ones that get the ball out on time. Never been Romo's forte.

But clearly you understand football really well. So maybe you can tell me why Romo should have kept running Randle into 8 man fronts, instead of holding the ball for 1.5 seconds and throwing to a single covered Bryant. Help me.
  12. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,061 Messages
    967 Likes Received
    So your blaming Romo for running the ball against the defense when they had their safeties up on the box? Maybe you should start blaming the coaches for calling those run plays. I blame BC and Garrett for trying to establish the run when we couldn't run. It was dumb. Romo doesn't call the plays. Callahan does via Garrett's playbook. I also believe that this was the game plan all along was to try and run the ball on 1st down and not to deviate from it. Garrett is stubborn that way. Even when Romo was pleading with Garrett to open it up he wasn't having it. Thus the coach should be blamed for such as putrid offensive showing.
  13. AmberBeer

3,043 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    That's football 101. You have to run the ball even if you're not making much yardage. It keeps the defense off balance. If you watched the game, you would've seen that the Cowboys drives in the first half were better when they ran the ball. Randle was getting good yardage. In the 4th quarter, the defense knew they would run because the Cowboys needed to run out the clock. The play calling there was atrocious.
  14. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

722 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Thank god you're not a coach, Romo wasn't protected well, it was the worst game the oline played this year. Our inability to run the football and get stops in the 4th quarter is what lost us that game. Some questionable play calling and not getting any pressure on Stafford were also contributing factors in turning that game into a loss. The Quarterback played a solid game, not perfect but solid and surely did enough to win the game. At a certain point Dallas Cowboys fans have to realize their are 22 starters for an NFL team and near 45 rotational players that decide wins and losses and stop blaming 1 guy who on any other team with a good defense (forget about a running game) does enough week in and week out to win 75% or more of this teams games. It gets old after a while to hear the non sense spewed from this fan base. You watched the whole game yesterday and came to the conclusion that Tony Romo is the problem?? Wow, what planet are you from?
  15. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

722 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Thank you.... Finally someone understands
  16. romothesavior

romothesavior Well-Known Member

852 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Romo was erratic and looked like crap yesterday. He's my favorite player and I'll easily concede he was off (and he conceded it too). Yet in what was one of his "worst" performances throwing the football, he still had 3 TDs and no turnovers. I'll take it.

Kinda hard to pin this on him when the defense gives up 600+ yards, the running game sucks, and we make stupid plays late in the game to hand the game back to Detroit. But Romo-bashers gon' Romo-bash.
  17. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,138 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    I am not a Romo homer. I put no player above the team, ever.
    But I will never blame Romo for everything, no matter what. I see his warts and blame him when I think he fails.

But in games where we give up 51 points, or 600+ total yds with one WR getting 300+ I will not blame the QB.

And I don't feel that it takes a high football IQ to come to that conclusion.
    romothesavior likes this.
  18. bpfred

bpfred Member

94 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Romo has the ability to audible out of plays if they have little chance of working. QBs and OCs/HQs have frequent confrontations over play calling and have had them for a long long time. I agree, the coaches (JG and BC) do deserve blame for the play calling--but Romo doesn't get a pass, he absolutely shares in the responsibility. The responsibility for the bad calls resides with all three, not one, or two, of the three.

Actually first down runs weren't bad for most of the first half--my problem is with the second down runs with eight in the box and six yards or less to go. In those cases there is little penalty for taking shots down the field, and there's big rewards for succeeding--both immediately on that play, and in the rest of the game, when the Lions have to pull the other safety away from the line of scrimmage. Just by audibling out of those plays Romo could have had a big impact on the game. And he didn't do it until the fourth quarter.
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  19. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,535 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    He wasnt horrible but he hasnt been that great either. His been a little off, is completion percentage the last two game has been pretty bad. He played well in the 4rth quarter yesterday though.
  20. bpfred

bpfred Member

94 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    So, running the ball into an eight man front keeps defenses off balance, and is Football 101. Thanks for the help. I'm learning a lot here.