1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo will never best Aikman until he brings us three rings

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bleu Star, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,211 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    What conversation? You call this a conversation? Lol.
  2. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

The first 5 years he was great but the last 6 years he was average which means overall he was good not a great QB. Yes he got 3 rings which was impressive but it all came during the first 5 years of his career while the last half of his career was not that great.
  3. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,794 Messages
    1,070 Likes Received
    Yes. :rolleyes:
  4. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Brady has probably the best OL in the game.. plsu he's playing in a watered down league, with essentially a spread offense that didn't work in the 90s era, because of the ways DBs could play. You put those classic QBs like an Aikman, Marino or Elway in this era, stats would go through the roof. The closest QB to that era QB is a Peyton Manning.
  5. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,799 Messages
    872 Likes Received
    Aikman won 3 rings in his first 7 years how many QB's can you name who've accomplished that? He started with a team so dreadful it's ranked in the top 10 worst teams in NFL history and it ended up in the top 10 greatest teams in NFL history just 4 years later. The Cowboys were so dominant under Aikman the team became the undisputed team of the 90's. You can spin it anyway you want because you weren't impressed with his career stats but he was a first ballot Hall of Famer which qualifies him as a "great" player.

He won championship games vs other future Hall of Fame QB's and is one of the few QB's to win back to back SB's. If you started following the Cowboys in 88 you would have a great appreciation for Toy Aikman. What made you become a Cowboy fan in 1988 the team was in decline and went 3-13 that year?
  6. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

Tom Brady did the same and he has yet to miss the playoffs after winning that 3rd ring. When was the last time the Pats missed the playoffs when Brady played the entire season or most of it?
  7. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,662 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    Always nice to beat a dead horse, so, I will play..

Without Romo as the QB of the Cowboys..

The Cowboys would be the Browns of the NFC for the past few years.

Romo is for real and is elite. Deal with it. Aikman would be a sitting duck back in the pocket..
  8. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,794 Messages
    1,070 Likes Received
    I'm trying to let this horse die gracefully but y'all keep beating it while it's down. Cruel and unusual punishment I tell you.. ;)
  9. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,653 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    umm, this post is ignorant in so many ways
  10. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,794 Messages
    1,070 Likes Received
    Great insight. Thanks. :bow:
  11. KJJ

10,799 Messages
    872 Likes Received
    How about answering my questions instead of continuing to divert? Dude we've already covered why Brady continues to win did you not read my post? He continues to win because he continues having talent around him. The Pats are good every year because of great drafting and free agent moves even Matt Cassel looked like a solid QB winning 11 games in 08 with all that talent around him. Brady probably wouldn't look much better than Cassel has in KC. NE is probably the best run organization in the league. They have a great owner who doesn't meddle and the best head coach in the entire league who's given the freedom to do his job.

Put Brady on a bad team behind a crappy OL and without any talent at WR or TE and let's see if he can win then. All QB's need talent around them to be successful. You claim Romo is better than Aikman and all the Cowboys have won with Romo is two division titles and one playoff game. Go drool over Romo's career passer rating and his franchise record TD passes that have you believing he's better than Aikman.
  12. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

Anyone who can't see Romo plays the QB position a lot better than Aikman doesn't have 20/20 vision. Now his overall career doesn't matchup to Aikman but he is clearly a better player.

When Romo first took over the team I used to fantasize about him playing at the Vet against the Eagles since he had skills when it came to getting away from defenders.
  13. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,794 Messages
    1,070 Likes Received
    I must be blind then... :blind: I love Romo but I love Troy Aikman's breadth of work even better. One thing that I think we can all agree on, Tony still has time to elevate his status in the minds of many fans. His work is far from done. He will get that next contract and hopefully part of those negotiations include stern conversation around shoring up the oline.
  14. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

This statement should end this discussion

Romo is the more exciting and elusive QB and Aikman is the less mobile more accurate QB who had a better overall career.

The End
  15. KJJ

10,799 Messages
    872 Likes Received
    You're still avoiding my questions. :laugh2: Romo is a better athlete than Aikman was and plays in a passing offense that utilizes his playmaking skills and ability to extend plays. Romo is a poor mans Brett Favre. He can make a spectacular play one minute and a boneheaded play the next. Aikman was a much more steady QB than either Favre or Romo which is why he has 3 rings. He brought his A game to big games. In 3 SB appearances Aikman only tossed one int compared to 5 TD passes. He wasn't exciting like Favre who's gunslinging style produced mega TD's and mega int's but you could count on him not to turn the ball over in critical situations and to be at his best when it mattered most.

You're in love with Romo's numbers and Houdini escapes. He's exciting but it's at a cost...TURNOVERS! If he never leads the Cowboys to the playoffs again you'll still think he was a better QB than Aikman. Topics like this separate the knowledgeable fans from those who aren't. You must have been born in 1988 because you clearly don't remember Aikman's career it's obvious by some of your comments. You first said he was terrible from 96 to 2000 when in fact he led the Cowboys to a playoff win in 96.

When I brought that to your attention you then said he was terrible from 97 to 2000. lol You went on to claim he was great his first 5 years when in fact he struggled his first 2 years because he was a young QB that had a bad team around him. His game improved as the Cowboys improved. The examples you've used with Tom Brady and why he keeps winning and Aikman didn't show you don't understand the game and have no clear recollection of his career or the 90's Cowboys.
  16. KJJ

10,799 Messages
    872 Likes Received
    Romo plays the QB position a lot more recklessly than Aikman did. He certainly doesn't play the position better than Aikman their playoff records should open your eyes to that. Favre played the position the same reckless way and it produced an NFL record amount of TD passes and int's. Favre made some of the greatest plays and some of the worst plays. Aikman could have produced big numbers had he been in a system that called for him to pass a lot.

He passed for 455 yards on Thanksgiving in 98 which is more yards than Romo has ever passed for in a single game. Aikman also produced 5 TD passes in a game which is Romo's career high. When Aikman was asked to throw he produced but he played in a different era on a Cowboy team that revolved around the run and Emmitt Smith.
  17. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

Here is the major difference between the two

When Romo runs from the defense he is looking to gain more yards or make a play

When Aikman ran from the defense he was trying to get away because he was afraid of getting hit.

The End
  18. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,794 Messages
    1,070 Likes Received
    That was a special game in terms of Troy's ridiculous ball placement. Although we suffered a loss, Troy was certified fire.
  19. KJJ

10,799 Messages
    872 Likes Received
    The same can be said for Michael Vick...THE END!
  20. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,191 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
    Sorry, but that doesn't tell the tale. And watching him get his chin busted Aikman's rookie year to complete a TD pass indicates you have no clue.

The real difference.

Romo is am area passer. he gets in the vicinity.

Aikman was a target passer. He hits the target.

Today's game was a prime example of the vicinity passing of Romo.