1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo will never best Aikman until he brings us three rings

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bleu Star, Dec 6, 2012.

1. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

4,652 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    Probably the same 3 as Troy since Romo would still have to deal with Barry Switzer. I don't see Tony giving the Cowboys a better chance to beat the 49ers in the 1994 NFC title game than Aikman (Troy was awesome in that game even with the early mistakes).

I would love to see Romo playing behind an O-Line as talented as Troy's in 1992-1995 today...
  2. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,449 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    When tony can bring us finally to the promised land, he will go down as one of the greatest cowboys ever. Maybe not the best qb or beat player but he will go down as one of the greats
  3. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,015 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Anyone who thinks Romo could not have won multiple super bowls with that talent and coaching knows nothing about football or what that team was about and is a blind Romo basher.

That sums up the original poster's comment.
  4. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,270 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    Excellent. Now... Where do you think that would quickly lead us to? If our field general is visibly fit to be tied, how long do you think it would take to make him happy again? From a GM perspective (Jerry or otherwise), the message would ring through loudly and crystal clear.
  5. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,863 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    Read my comments above. There is no bashing. It's based on defenses played in the 90s, the system and what was expected of a QB back then. You are making generalizations based on stats now. Romo wouldn't be attempting half as many passes and his job would be leading, being accurate and exploiting windows...quick slants to Irvin,...accurate passes to TEs and WRs in press coverage where DBs could get their hands on WRs...different rules than now. Romo struggles now with some of these things and throws INTs. So your saying he would improve. By saying this you a) take away what Aikman brought to that team and b) are living in a fantasy land of what it took to win games back then. You can't just plug a guy in and say he would have been successful. Ask Irvin and Emmitt and those who said Troy helped make the team run. Being physically more gifted with athletic ability doesn't give you the brains to be a better QB and that is where Troy wins hands down. Back then beating the 49ers and Packers and the top NFC teams took...a) accuracy, b) smarts in handling the ball and c) attention to detail. That is where Aikman excelled and gave us an advantage. Tony is great in his own way but doesn't have some of those items.
  6. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,270 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    :damn:
  7. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,270 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    For the Romo fans out there, the premise of this thread was to elicit dialogue around how Romo compares to Troy and to also understand what the prevailing thought might be if a Romo led team was to win a Super Bowl. Does the possession of a Super Bowl ring change yourthought around Romo's legacy? It definitely does for me.

Just for the sake of re-iteration, I like Romo but I think he can do better. Not just in terms of his play on the field, also in terms of his gumption behind those closed doors to right the current wrongs specifically on the offensive side of the ball.
  8. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,677 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    Thank you for articulating that so well. But according to Ken you know nothing about football. What's next? Posters saying you aren't a Cowboys fan?
  9. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

2,834 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    It does and I don't think Romo will "need 3 to best Aikman."
  10. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,270 Messages
    662 Likes Received
  11. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,602 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    Romo needs to win 1 SB to become the 3rd best QB in Cowboys history.

Right now, he's behind:

Aikman/Staubach
    Meredith
    White
  12. HoustonFrog

1,863 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    I'm waiting for that one! This argument floors me because people are literally just plugging in 2012 Romo and the way the game is played to a whole different era where playing QB took different measurables.
  13. ufcrules1

6,677 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    You see, sometimes I wonder about that. Because year after year I see Tony hiking the ball with zero seconds on the clock, and not protecting the football inside the redzone (See his 4 fumbles this year inside the redzone), and having complete blow up games.. i.e. NYJ & Det in 2011, Chi & NYG in 2012. I see things that HE can control, but it is like he doesn't even realize he does it. What does he see in the film room? When you are in the redzone and are guaranteed points, the first thing in your mind should be protecting the football, especially early in a game when you need to put points on the board. If the play isn't there you throw the ball away or take a sack and then get your 3 points. You have to come away with points there.

I see the same mental mistakes year after year with Romo and that leads me to believe he won't ever change. When I watch a QB like Rodgers, I notice his primary goal is to protect the football, and he does an amazing job at doing so and he has an equally bad line as the Cowboys. He patiently waits for his openings and then burns the other team when those openings come.

I saw Troy as an amazing leader on his team. If his linemen weren't protecting him he was letting them know about it. He did a good job protecting the ball. He was an extremely smart and accurate QB in an era where WR's were molested. Romo is a gifted QB but not very intelligent and not much of a leader at all. I don't see him achieving what Troy did. Who are are leaders on this Cowboys team right now? Is Tony one of them?
  14. ufcrules1

6,677 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    Exactly, and you just can't do that. There are so many variables involved it is not even funny.

If they were in fact right, you would see Tony Romo make the hall of fame one day. But the truth is not many people believe what they are spouting. Maybe other homer Cowboys fans feel that way about Romo but the masses do not.
  15. rags747

rags747 Active Member

985 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Aikman was a once a generation QB on a truly dominant team. They could have and should have won 5 SB's with a little luck. Aikmans window was all time great for maybe 5-7 years, after his OL started to break down and other parts of the team started to fade he became average at best and truly beat up. Aikman on the teams that Romo has played on would be a very different Aikman from the one that we all know and love.

Romo I believe is a great QB, he has had to deal with crap OL and defense's and no running game for far too long. Give the guy some horses upfront and I do believe he will get his ring before he retires to the links. Give the guy an offense where he does not have to toss it 45 times per game and he will get a ring.

People have been saying that he does not have the tools to have run the Cowboys offense of the 90's...I say BS to that. The guy would be in heaven behind that OL, that RB. Irvin, that version of Witten and that defense and maybe most of all that driven SOB of a coach Jimmy J.
  16. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

2,834 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    I probably missed it. But after reading it, I agree with mostly everything you have said. Now I'm not sure if it even plays down like that. You would think Tony would use his contract situation as leverage to get better linemen. Hell, if he really wants to win a superbowl, he would have to do this.

In the end, Tony might be too much of a nice guy and Jerry might not even care enough for anything other than sales.
  17. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,270 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    Someone else made an excellent point earlier regarding Troy in Romo's situation that I don't think should go unaddressed. How long do you think Troy would have let the current environment fester before blowing a gasket? My guess is not very long at all. When I refer to current environment, I am specifically referring to that bush league offensive line. When your franchise QB blows gaskets for good reason, you as GM or otherwise tend to hear and address the cause. Troy truly did drive that ship and he wore that badge of honor on his chest. Jenky said that, at the end of the day, Romo may just be too much of a nice guy to "rock the boat". That is yet another great angle.
  18. HoustonFrog

1,863 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    Great post and exactly what I was saying before. What people can't comprehend in this argument is a) We just had 5 QBs, I believe, throw for close to 5000 yards last year so numbers are inflated b) as you and I have both said, in the 90s teams played true man/press coverage and DBs could basically pull WRs down c) because of "b" you needed a QB who could protect the ball and be accurate with less throws. Aikman possessed that ability. Tony hasn't mastered it at all...and I like him as a QB..he just isn't Aikman. Aikman would have done well with the Wade and Tuna teams.

And for some of you saying that Troy broke down when the line did...he had some of his best statistical seasons post SB throwing for over 3000 years. The teams weren't as good overall though.
  19. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,803 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Huh?? I was agreeing with you

You are right, Romo sucks, we should start Orton, or any guy off the street
  20. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    like I've said before, it's like criticizing Griffey, Killebrew, Banks, Cobb, or Williams because they did not win a World series