1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo's public perception level is entering Delhomme levels

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Jan 25, 2013.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,100 Messages
    2,221 Likes Received
    They won their conference championship twice in college. And yes, they had to win their last game both years to win the title. He won the Walter Peyton award (Heisman) for natioanl player of the year. Not that it means anything whatsoever to a 32 year old man now.

I bet Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell won all kinds of championships pre-NFL.
  2. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,091 Messages
    1,364 Likes Received
    Yeah, and you are the opposite end of the spectrum, blindly supporting him even though he does the same boneheaded mistakes over and over again. I guess the time has finally come to put you on ignore too.
  3. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received

Your should try watching the games. I got you something. It may help.

[IMG]
  4. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,773 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    How does an individual player "win" a football game? 5 innings pitched, 2 ER allowed?
  5. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    406 Likes Received

In the entire History of the NFL there has never been a QB that chokes more consistently in life changing games than Tony Romo.
  6. DrKennethNoisewater

DrKennethNoisewater Member

106 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The thing that strikes me about Romo is that I do not think that he is a leader. When he yells at the offensive line or a WR I don't really see it making an impact.

I remember this year that Ronnie Hillman said he was more worried about the wrath he would get from Manning than he would from the coaching staff. Now it may be unfair to compare Romo to Manning, but there is a point there. I do think Romo would do better under a coach that is a more vocal and charismatic leader, but that is another story.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,101 Messages
    6,918 Likes Received
    The old 'has an individual ever won a team game at any level' gambit. Sigh. Why does this silly means of measuring individual performance always come up in these debates? It's so obviously a measure that includes so many important factors beyond a QB's control. I don't get why otherwise smart people would use such a broken measure to evaluate the play of any single player on a team of 53.
  8. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,773 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    LIFE changing? Is this a new customized anti-Romo stat like the media-created "Win or go home"? The lengths Romo haters go to is truly astounding. And what, pray tell, is the criteria for a game to be "life changing"? This should be good...
  9. DavidAK

DavidAK New Member

796 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Romo says all the right things every year. He's going to learn from his mistakes, he's going to train his butt off and everything under the sun. But has he really changed at all since he started? He still doesn't throw the ball away, he's still making bone head mistakes and worse, now he's getting defensive over those mistakes and he's chewing out his receivers. I don't think that's right.

He has been very inconsistant at maintaining a certain level of play all season. He's always been a guy that puts up nice stats. He doesn't always play bad, he makes plays in the clutch and even has some killer games during the season. The problem is, Romo ALWAYS has a couple of really really bad games where he puts the team in such a deep hole there is no way the Cowboys can come back.

And I ask myself. Can the Cowboys win a SB with a QB like this? I really don't think they can. Because that implosion will come sooner or later. I can't explain why or what causes this besides maybe a lack of confidence.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,792 Messages
    4,858 Likes Received
    Why don't we try fixing the line so Romo doesn't have to fun for his life while trying to create some offense again next year.
  11. DFWJC

23,100 Messages
    2,221 Likes Received
    Why don't you list these "life-changing" (like there ever was such a thing) games that he's choked in.

From the sound of it, there must be at least 20 or so.

He's played in well over 100 games. From the sound of it, he has sucked in at least 50 of those...with about 20 being life changing games. lol

I guess fair game would games where the team would have won if Romo would have played well, because the rest of team played well enough to win. In other words, don't even think about using the Vikings playoff route or that 44-6 mauling by Philly several years ago. We had zero chance in those. None.

This past Washington game is debatable since he did throw 2 TD passes and 2pt conversion, but if you want to use that one, I'll give that one to you. That last pick was brutal.

And then I assume by "life-changing" games, you mean games that would mean if we lose, we are out of the playoffs. The second Philly game this year count? It was a division game and a loss there wipes us out?

Though of course, it could be argued that those games are not do-or-die if someone and some team did not play well enough to get there.

Maybe Seattle, back in the Jurassic period? Oh yeah, Romo the QB completed every pass on that last drive to get us in position to win. Then the special teams blunder makes him a QB that chokes? Riiiight

Or maybe the New York playoff loss? oh yeah, he threw a perfect pass for the win...absolutely perfect pass..but Crayton stopped on the route. No choke there either.

How about the Philly playoff game? Oh that's right. We won and he played outerworldly in that one. Guess we need to choose to forget that one since he "always chokes".

Go ahead.
    I'm sure it's a very long list he he is the worst in history at such things.
  12. SilverStarCowboy

7,499 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

Just name one Pro QB that is a better Choke Artist..in .. the... entire...History ...of the NFL.

:grin:
  13. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,695 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Your not 95% dude.
  14. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,091 Messages
    1,364 Likes Received
    The Oline gave him plenty of time for the majority of the game against Washington and he blew it. Again, no matter how good our line is eventually Romo is going to get pressure in the playoffs...how will he handle that pressure?
    Go back and rewatch the Washington game for the answer.
  15. DrKennethNoisewater

106 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I think part of the problem is that he just assumes that the line will fail, which it has, but he is to a point that he is shell shocked.
  16. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,695 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Do you want a list of all the HOF QBs who didn't win a SB to start? What if Elway didn't get Davis the last two years of his career? Choke artist? What about Marino? choke artist? Farve was lucky to get one. And he was multi MVP. Same as Peyton.

Let's just go present day. Matty ice. Barely won his first playoff game after how many years? #1 overall pick. Not a free agent from Illinois.

Make some sense, will ya.
  17. SilverStarCowboy

7,499 Messages
    406 Likes Received

Romo is an even more consistent Choke Artist than Matty Ice. The mere fact that you are considering him up there with Matty Ice should tell you something.
  18. DFWJC

23,100 Messages
    2,221 Likes Received
    So the 4 game winning 4th quarter drives by Romo (and the team) right before that last game this season count for nothing. I see how this works.
  19. DrKennethNoisewater

106 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Good grief...Elway was an alltimer with or without Davis. Some of those Denver teams he took to the Super Bowl were flatout bad.

Marino got his teams to the playoffs 10 different times.
  20. SilverStarCowboy

7,499 Messages
    406 Likes Received

Good to know.

Your are Welcome, in advance.