1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ron Jaworski says the best pick of Day 1 is...

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by dthahn, Apr 30, 2006.

1. dthahn

dthahn The Doctor Is IN!

295 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Anthony Fasano!!

He described Fasano as the most complete TE in the draft. He went on to say that Fasano is a "Snot-knocker" of a TE referring to his blocking ability. Trey Wingo made fun of the term "snot-knocker".
  2. Holloway805

Holloway805 05 & 09 Pick a Winner Champ

487 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You have got to be kidding. Jaws said something positive about the Boys?
  3. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,247 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    I actually think Fasano is a very good player too. I am surprised jaws would pick him, but it really does have a chance to be a great pick.

Not sexy, not a need on the surface, but you really can't argue adding a good player.

I believe that he is more of a sure thing than Carpenter.
  4. kingwhicker

kingwhicker BCRSA

3,290 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think he is a very, very good TE, we just didn't really need him- it was a luxury pick IMO.
  5. Jersey

Jersey Member

478 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I like the Fasano pick. I didn't go into this draft thinking we would go TE on day 1, but I'm happy. Actually, the more I look at what we did overall, the more pleased I am. For insatnce, look at the upside of Hatcher. Many, if not most of the other DE's (other than Williams) are what they are. None look to have upside as far as getting bigger or better. Everyone always goes into a draft with their personal wish list. I now trust BP. Many of the geeks on this board who think we've blown it are just ESPN highligh guy's that think we should've came out of this with Bush, Williams, & Young.
  6. lspain1

lspain1 Active Member

4,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What I think is important here is that there does seem to be an overall plan to the Cowboys draft. While we may complain about the individual selections, I continue to be impressed by the fact that the Cowboys are drafting with purpose and direction. Other teams say "we dafted the BPA on our board." The Cowboys say "we drafted the player to do x and y." They are not shooting from the hip. Regardless of how these players turn out, I find myself heartened for the future of the franchise. I hope these habits outlive Parcells presence for many years to come.
  7. Jersey

Jersey Member

478 Messages
    1 Likes Received

AMEN Brother!!!!!!

:bow:
  8. Glenn Carano

Glenn Carano New Member

574 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If we're going to a 2 TE base offense, why wouldn't we need him? Hannam, Pierce, Ryan? Please. Having both Witten and Fasano on the field at the same time for the majority of snaps is a nice combo and was needed.
  9. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,230 Messages
    5,477 Likes Received
    I happen to like the fact we are sticking to our board and have faith in it.

This is a far cry from the willy nilly days when we reached for need like our hair was on fire.
  10. Glenn Carano

Glenn Carano New Member

574 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I heard Jeff Ireland on the radio and I'm pretty sure he said they took BPA on their board for all picks.
  11. SmashFactorGolf

SmashFactorGolf New Member

345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I remember the no-name skin 2nd TE / H-back that just killed us in the 2nd Skins game this year----what was his name, BP et all must have liked those sets

what was his name?
  12. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,865 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Royal. He's now a Buffalo Bill.
  13. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Glad I read this post....and threads......I am starting to feel better about our draft. Thanks Zoners
  14. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,247 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    Like the Redskins are doing now......:laugh2:
  15. DefendeR

DefendeR Benched

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I kinda wanted someone we mentioned often on the board.Simpson,Watkins,Winston...et al.
    But it didnt surprise me that much when I heard it was Fasano.
    At least one NFL.com guy(Kirwan) had Fasano going to Dallas in the 2nd round on both of his mock drafts.
    Besides,how come Ko Simpson and Pat Watkins are still available?
  16. DefendeR

DefendeR Benched

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Chris Cooley...he scored 3 times against us that horrible day.
  17. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,205 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    Drafting a tight end because we're going to a two tight end offense IS drafting for need. Fasano may be the best pick of all time but if this isn't drafting for need I don't know what the hell is.
  18. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,718 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  19. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    i hated the pick at first. with so many "glaring" needs this one just seemed like a luxury we couldn't really afford, but we'll see how he does and hope he does in fact "turn out" to be all that good.

however, when are we gonna do more then "patchwork" on the very core of a franchice - the OL? by round 4, we're into patchwork terratory and we failed to address the OL in the draft in a significant manner.