1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Rookie Contract Talks Could Start Sooner

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, May 5, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,459 Messages
    8,352 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas -- Usually the Cowboys don't complete contract negotiations with their draft picks until right around the start of training camp, if not a day or two into practice.

This year, the team could try to get their seven-rookie class signed sooner. By designating cornerback Terence Newman a June 1 cut in March, they will get $6 million more salary cap space after that date. Some of the money will go toward their rookie pool.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/r...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,596 Messages
    1,560 Likes Received
    I always thought that was a mistake waiting that long. We should start signing players around the middle of June to have them all done by the beginning of July
  3. Risen Star

21,459 Messages
    8,352 Likes Received
    I've never really understood why teams wait so long. I know you wanted to see what the players around your draft pick signed for but it seems to me that if the entire league started the process earlier there'd be less holdouts and missed time.
  4. Sledge

Sledge New Member

34 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Interest on the Rookie pool money(millions) would make me want to hang onto that money until the very last moment possible.
  5. dstew60105

dstew60105 Active Member

1,770 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    That might be the answer if money market rates weren't .10%.
  6. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,795 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    There have been a handful of rookies, including a couple of second rounders, sign already. It may be the rookie contracts are more slotted under the new CBA with less room for negotiation. This could accelerate the signing process.
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I think it was to ease with the slotting process back in the day.

Now that the rookie cap is more rigid it should be easier to get deals done and we should sign them all ASAP so they can participate fully with the team.
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    That's a relatively small amount of money for the franchise in the grand scheme of things.

We need those guys working fully with the team ASAP so they have a chance to make an impact this year. This is especially true for Claiborne, Crawford, Johnson, Wilber and Coale who I expect to have significant roles this year at least in some packages and special teams.
  9. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    Just something to note, all the rookies except Claiborne will be signed. Mo will get his contract once we get the $6M back.

Having a set rookie pool it's easier to figure out contracts for the top picks nowadays so there really shouldn't be any waiting until the last minute to get the rookies signed.
  10. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Active Member

1,236 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Who said it was solely the teams waiting in the past? Agents also had incentives to wait to see what others signed for.

I always got the feeling that Jerry never wanted to start negotations early only to have agents drag them out to the last minute anyways. He'd rather wait till the last minute and get them done quickly.
  11. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,459 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    we rarely end up with holdout -- if you wait until right before camp then the other teams have pretty much done all the work for you in terms of setting the parameters for what your guys get paid
  12. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,459 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    but they can participate fully so long as the deal is done before TC starts
  13. Risen Star

21,459 Messages
    8,352 Likes Received
    That's true.

I know we'll get our players signed. I just never knew why they did the mad dash the week before camp starts every year.
  14. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    You are correct. In the past, everyone would wait and let someone else "set the market."

Last year, however, the NFLPA accidentally revealed the rookie pool allocation for every pick to agents -- so the NFL followed suit and gave the same information to the teams. Suddenly, everyone knew what the "slotting" was for every draft pick. Now, if you know the allocation number for a pick, it takes just a few seconds to figure out the entire contract for that player.