1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Rookie pool number

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by AdamJT13, May 4, 2006.

1. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Our rookie pool number came in at $3,786,517. Because of the Rule of 51, it should cost no more than $1,361,517 of cap room to sign all of our rookies, including the undrafted free agents.
  2. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,494 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    A little early, but would that leave us with for those June cuts to come? Taking into consideration the rookie signings.
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    How much do we have left going in to the June cuts?
  4. TwoSteppinJJ

TwoSteppinJJ Active Member

1,167 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,350 Messages
    808 Likes Received
    june cuts should be minor this year (as they have been in the past few years) -- the cap increase made it so most teams could make cuts earlier.
  6. shaketiller

shaketiller Member

704 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In addition to the fact that talent from the June cuts likely will be thin, I really have a hard time imagining that the Cowboys will make another significant free agency acquisition -- not "star" quality, but "solid veteran" quality -- prior to training camp, unless a decent offensive linemen were to somehow become available, which is highly unlikely. Not to overrate the roster, but if youth is to be served, if we are to see young players have a chance to develop, where would another veteran fit? I might have said WR prior to the draft, but given the heavy reliance on two-TE sets, any free agent would almost certainly preclude the development of a young guy. Some would say QB, but I don't see it. I think they are content, barring a training camp injury to Bledsoe, maybe, to allow Romo and Henson the chance to develop.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,488 Messages
    1,732 Likes Received
    Okay, tricky question.

Given the rookie pools teams will be assigned, which teams will have to cut veterans to make room for the rookies and how much will they need to cut?

Any team in dire straights? I get the sense Tennessee is given McNair supposedly counts 23 million against the cap this year. Anyone else?
  8. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think that we will make any significant additions through FA along the way but I wouldn't rule out some kind of trade to bring us a top flight FS and then we would need to have some cap room to swing that deal.
  9. Jethro75

Jethro75 New Member

13 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cincinnati could cut this guy:

Len Pasquarelli Quote: Right tackle Willie Anderson, who is noted as a chronic underachiever, nonetheless remains one of the NFL's top players at his position.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2425362&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dpasquarelli_len%26id%3d2425362
    He's also not happy about his current contract negotiations or lack there of. Cinci drafted Whitworth out of LSU with the 55th pick this year. So Willie might become available...I'm sure other players are in the same position.

Admittedly I don't know much about this situation but a guy like Anderson could be available in June or when final cuts are made to get down to the 53 man roster.

Just something to think about....

go pokes
  10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,119 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Bump for good question.
  11. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would love for Cowboys to sign him... he's good depth...