1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Rookie report: Solid start for Gavin Escobar

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Jul 27, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,244 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    OXNARD, Calif. -- The Dallas Cowboys are going to need Gavin Escobar if they are going to have a good offense.

The second-round pick is off to a pretty good start in showing the Cowboys he can handle the role.

“Like with a lot of young guys so much of this game is confidence, understanding what the coaches are asking you to do, what my assignment is and then take to the next level, internalizing that information and just going, playing fast,” coach Jason Garrett said. “I think we’re seeing some of that the last couple of days.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...s-rookie-report-solid-start-for-gavin-escobar
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,244 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    This was his strength at SDSU. Finding holes in zones and using technique more than speed to get open.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,973 Messages
    3,541 Likes Received
    This is an interesting player.
  4. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,494 Messages
    1,003 Likes Received
    He will replace Witten by his second contract.
  5. jobberone

36,973 Messages
    3,541 Likes Received
    Witten was 31 this May. I expect him to play another 4-6 years. He is third all time in receptions by a TE at 806 with 110 last year a new record. He is also third all time in TE yardage with almost 9000 yds. Conzales has 1242 receptions and 14268 yards with 13 Pro Bowls and 103 TDs. Witten has 55 TDs and 8 Pro Bowls. Gonzales will play this year and will get 60-100 receptions this year and end up near 1400 receptions and 15,000 yards. If Witten plays 5 years he'll have about 14,000 yards and 1300 receptions. If Gonzales plays 2014 then Witten will have to play another 7-8 years to catch him. That may or may not be possible. But I don't see 5-6 years for Witten as unreasonable.

I don't see Escobar as a replacement for Witten although that's possible. I see him right now as more of a WR. But they are not that dissimilar players esp once Escobar gets his full strength. Right now I see Escobar as more of a WR/TE hybrid. He may block better than we've been led to believe. So he may play some snaps as a H Back/move TE/WR.

Anyway, I see Escobar playing with Witten in his second contract. We'll see what roles they have in the future.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  6. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,497 Messages
    994 Likes Received
    Escobar ran a slow 40 (4.84 I think off top of my head), but he tested at or near the top in all the drills that test quickness and agility. He accelerates quickly and gets in and out of breaks well. He can get open. He made one catch in the seam the other day that was especially impressive because he juked Barry Church right after catching the ball and took it to the house. Bigger concern with Escobar: Can he block anybody?
    by Tim MacMahon 12:30 PM
  7. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'm not a big Escobar fan yet. I really think we could have drafted Eifert and still have gotten Frederick. Oh, well. No way of telling really.I just think Eifert is a special TE.
    mmillman likes this.
  8. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,533 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    I take it you mean you'd prefer Eifert & Frederick to Frederick, Escobar & T-Will. That is the apples to apples comparison.
  9. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Honestly, yes.
  10. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,533 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Heard a comment attributed to Witten on one of the training camp shows the other day. I think it was Talkin Cowboys. They quoted Witten as saying "let's be honest, TE's screen moreso than they block." Fair comment I thought.
  11. TheRomoSexual

2,494 Messages
    1,003 Likes Received
    I seriously doubt Frederick would have lasted until 47. Hell, there's talk that the Raven were eyeing him at 32. And regardless, while I love Eifert (I'm a ND grad), I prefer Escobar and Williams to just Eifert.
  12. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    How is Williams ever going to see the field?
  13. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,533 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Fair enough. My only feeling is that Escobar had better produce like the top half of round 2 pick that he was. We need production out of picks that high. You know, like Lee & Carter - injuries notwithstanding :)
  14. TheRomoSexual

2,494 Messages
    1,003 Likes Received
    What do you mean? He's already getting reps with the ones. In 3 WR sets, he'll be the outside guy and Austin will be in the slot. Plus, there's always the chance Austin gets injured. Either way, Williams will see a ton of reps, and there's a good chance he replaces Austin next season.
  15. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I agree. Hey, I hope the guy proves me wrong. I just think Eifert is Witten-esque and will really be a player. I honestly don't know too much about Escobar. But from what I'm hearing regarding strength, etc., I'm a bit skeptical. But I am rooting for the guy.
  16. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    This is good news. I guess I was assuming the line up would be Dez, Austin and Harris in the slot.
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,773 Messages
    4,331 Likes Received
    Top speed:
    Escobar: 18.94 mph
    Witten: 17.94 mph
    CowboyMcCoy and jobberone like this.
  18. jobberone

36,973 Messages
    3,541 Likes Received
    Well both Williams and Escobar have to earn their wings and I know I've been guilty of being an Escobar homer so we'll see about the snaps. I think it more likely that Escobar will get more snaps than Williams early on but I'm certain they want to put Williams on the field at times. Teams are going to have to respect his speed. If he can catch the ball.
  19. jobberone

36,973 Messages
    3,541 Likes Received
    That's a very interesting post. Where did you get that if I may? Is it radar or extrapolated?
  20. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,922 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    But how fast on a tredmill?