1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rooney Rule

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by CanadianCowboysFan, Jan 5, 2013.

1. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,403 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    With Fat Andy and Chip Kelly basically hired just by showing up, did the Chiefs and Browns really follow the Rooney Rule?

You know damn well if Jerry were to annoint someone of that ilk (like when we hired Parcells), not only would he have to prove he interviewed a minority candidate but the said candidate would have to proclaim publicly it was a a legitimate interview etc.

Why is no one in the press discussing that with the Chiefs and Browns?
  2. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I know the chiefs interviewed someone to abide by the rule(forget the name though). Haven't heard who the Browns interviewed, but it only takes a short time, and is usually someone already in house. The media usually makes a point of saying who a team interviewed to satisfy the rule's criteria.

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,573 Messages
    1,554 Likes Received
    The Rooney Rule was always a joke.
  4. Tezz

Tezz Active Member

378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Browns interviewed Cards coordinator Ray Horton and Chiefs interviewed some guy from the Falcons.
  5. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

718 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Rooney Rule is an insult to the blacks.

This is a multi billion dollar industry. If a club believes a black coach deserves to be the head coach, they will hire him no matter what his skin color is.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,398 Messages
    8,300 Likes Received
    Because both obided by the rule and there's nothing to see here. No super secret anti-Cowboys conspiracy at work.
  7. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,403 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Yet they were only ever going to hire Reid so the other interviews were shams. Yet we have to show it was a real interview.

Face it, there are two standards.
  8. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,666 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Keith Armstrong (ST Coach, Falcons) was a very hot commodity this offseason. He has racked up the most interviews of almost anyone.

The Rooney Rule is a complete sham and is pretty pointless.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,398 Messages
    8,300 Likes Received
    When we interviewed Ray Sherman before hiring Garrett, it was a sham interview.

It's what the rule has created. All teams deal with it. There isn't anything anti-Cowboys about it, so quit crying victim.
  10. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The every-off-season subject: the Rooney Rule and how a team intended to exercise it's freedom to hire who the hell it wants after playing the charade.
  11. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,043 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    not really, what if Reid wanted to join the Cards. Reid was the preference and there is nothing wrong with that, it's the exposure the NFL wants minority canidates to get, not garunteed jobs.
  12. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    For me personally, i want the best qualified candidate available...if he is white, i want him. if he is black, i want him. if he is from mars, i want him. basically, i don't care about the color of your damn skin.....i just care about the football knowledge between your ears, your integrity, your commitment to winning, and your ability to lead a large group of high dollar, self-absorbed, high-maintenance athletes, all with their own personal agendas....and bring them all together for 1 common goal.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,114 Messages
    4,305 Likes Received
    http://cdn.*************.net/instances/250x250/29741649.jpg
  14. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    The insulting rule needs to be abolished, it is patronizing and insufferable for qualified candidates of every skin pigment.
  15. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,071 Messages
    1,081 Likes Received
    I used to think the same thing as well. However, I had a person who works for the Jets explain to me the merits of the Rooney Rule.

The Rooney Rule doesn't force people to be hired.

The problem is that people expect to see instantaneous results. For those who are for more minority coaches being hired, they think it's worthless when guys are allowed interviews and don't get hired.

For those who hate the idea, they are afraid that a minority coach will be forced into being hired.

The idea of the Rooney Rule is that it accepts the fact that there is a discrepancy in black players vs. black head coaches. There's also a discrepancy in black assistants vs. black head coaches.

You can't force owners to hire somebody.

However, by getting minority candidates interviews it gets their name out. Maybe they don't get hired the first time with a team, but now the owner is familiar with the coach and maybe down the road they hire him. Or perhaps they will pass along to other owners something like 'hey, we didn't hire him but we were very impressed with him.' And maybe a different owner ends up hiring him based upon that. That is what happened to Tony Dungy and Marvin Lewis.

Lastly, it gives minority candidates the experience of doing these interviews, which are often hours upon hours long. I believe one team did a 9-hour interview with one candidate. The experience will allow the minority candidate the chance to better prepare for future interviews.

Thus, I think the Rooney Rule is valid. It's not perfect, but it's productive if it gets coaches like Marvin Lewis a HC job that they probably would never had received before the Rooney Rule.

YR
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,573 Messages
    1,554 Likes Received
    this all would have happened without the lying and hypocrisy that the Rooney Rule created. All it does is maintain the point of view that all rules can be manipulated and bypassed.

Anything that promotes lying and hypocrisy is WRONG and always will be.
  17. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,559 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    No, it wasn't and isn't.
  18. tyke1doe

19,559 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    No, it's not.

Unfortunately, that's not historically accurate. The NFL had to be pressured to hire black coaches in the first place.

The coaching fraternity is, in some respects, a closed circle, which is the reason why certain has-beens generally get hired over and over again.

Besides, the Rooney Rule doesn't mandate hiring. It merely asks teams to interview a minority candidate. There's really no harm in that given the historical circumstance from which this entire situation arose anyway.
  19. tyke1doe

19,559 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    How does it promote lying and hypocrisy? :huh:
  20. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,071 Messages
    1,081 Likes Received
    It doesn't promote lying.

The idea is that the rule gives minority coaches a chance at getting an interview.

That's what it accomplishes.

It's not about automatically giving them a serious shot. It's about getting their foot in the door.

YR