1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

RossTuckerNFL: Tweet on Romo's value

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Coy, Feb 13, 2013.

1. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

965 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Lets not forget about teams that has a good qb that he would take their spot. Teams like Houston, Tampa Bay, Philly, and Tennessee come to mind.
  2. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,019 Messages
    1,318 Likes Received
    Agreed they won't break the bank and I doubt Romo would try to make them. I think 5 year ~80ish is realistic though.
  3. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,716 Messages
    1,812 Likes Received
    If Dallas was to get a offer of two firsts for Romo i think they would do it. But i dont think a team would do that. QBs like Romo and better dont hit the market. Brees was average before Payton, and Peyton manning had just had serious surgery.
  4. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,716 Messages
    1,812 Likes Received
    i like that but id like it better if it was more realistically a 3 yr 42-45 mil deal. With Roster bonuses in yr 4, and 5. Easier to release him after yr 3 and cap hit is minimal
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Are you serious?

That'd be atrocious. Bradford is not good and comes with a contract that is likely just as high as what Romo is going to sign for.
  6. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,019 Messages
    1,318 Likes Received
    It will likely be 5 so they can push the money way back. Can't do that with 3 for what he'll be making per year.
  7. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

806 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    If romo were an unrestricted fa with no threat of a franchise tag? If youre a team with cap space and no qb of course youll make him the highest paid qb in the nfl. But we dont live in that world...
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,886 Messages
    2,138 Likes Received
    There more too.
    The easier list would be the teams that would not start him over what they have. That list would include teams with SB winning QBs (Brady, Rodgers, Roeth, Eli, etc) or teams with very good young QBs with upside (Kap, RG3, etc), or teams who have fairly young guys who they think can get it done (Ryan, Stafford).
  9. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,716 Messages
    1,812 Likes Received
    I said a 5 yr deal, with roster bonuses in yr 4, and 5. Which basically turns it into a 3 yr deal with 2 1 yr options.
  10. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    teams would make that trade in a heartbeat....Jerry is smart enough to NOT do it....
  11. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,397 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    Actually, you're a little off-base. Brady's contract is already outdated and a QB of Brees' caliber is not going to hit the open market for years. It's VERY conceivable that Romo's contract would exceed both Brees and Manning. The league just saw two CBs get contracts upwards of $50+ million and WR that got a monster $100 million dollar deal.

Romo, on the open market, would command more than everyone aforementioned. You don't have to like it but it is the reality.
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    With the natural progression of salaries, he's probably right. Think how much a QB-deficient, beleaguered team like the Cards or Jags or Chiefs would give him.
  13. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,098 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    They are about to make Flacco the highest paid QB and that is a joke.
  14. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,553 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    A team like the Cardinals, with cap room to upgrade the OL, a pretty good defense, a stud WR and a coach who took the worst team in the NFL last year to the playoffs, would most certainly make Romo the highest paid player in the league.
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,464 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Tucker isn't wrong.

What he describes were for a FA Romo which means no trade pieces at all.

And he'd certainly become NFL's highest paid player even if he never actually saw the bulk of the contract.

Dallas fans tend to fairly clueless but make no mistake plenty of teams feel if you give them Tony Romo they are going to win Super Bowls.

Cleveland couldn't write that fat check fast enough. Jacksonville and many others would be right there.
  16. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    If we traded Romo, why would you want Orton? I would rather have a completely overmatched qb so we could lose all of our games, then draft Bridgewater or Manziel in the next couple of years. Zed for Ted, baby.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,591 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    yeah there are a couple of teams that could write a check for $40 million guaranteed right now and absorb that cap hit the first year.
  18. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    So if you could get two ones and say a fourth, you wouldn't take it? You would be happy with our cap situation and 8-8?
  19. ManicDepressiveMan

ManicDepressiveMan Member

753 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Tony ought to do everything in his power to hit the market instead of taking a team friendly offer from the Cowboys.

He could start by not redoing his contract for this season and the cap crippling effect it would have.

Why would he want to stay in Dallas? He's been a complete failure here and most fans are sick of his big game collapses.

He could get a new start somewhere else and make money like no one else in NFL history.

Win, win for Tony Romo.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,591 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    complete failure?

wow I guess your screen name is appropriate.

But I do agree that he should leave. Then win a couple of rings somewhere else.

Just to stick it to the morons that hate him