1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

RossTuckerNFL: Tweet on Romo's value

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Coy, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,151 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    Then give us what the Raiders gave up for Carson Palmer.

I'd do that in a heartbeat.
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    Whoever would pay him are not in any better position than the Cowboys to win a couple of rings.

Chiefs, Jags, Cards, Browns, Jets, Raiders, Eagles, Titans. Those are the few I can think of that need a QB, none are currently better than the Cowboys.

If I were Romo, I would hold JJ hostage...fix this sorry OL or I will not sign a long term deal.
  3. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    First of all, to those who would not take 2 #1s for Romo. Seek help.:laugh1:

Second, does anybody believe Romo could play enough mistake free football to win 3-4 play-off games and win a super bowl? Please show you're evidence, because there's plenty out there that supports he cannot.;)

Seriously, if you want to sign the guy to a deal that will not strap the team in 2 years when he gone, fine.
  4. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,468 Messages
    1,627 Likes Received
    Open market means if he was a UFA.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I agree with your thinking 100%. If there was any indications that this team was on the edge of winning a Super Bowl within the next couple of years, I would feel different. Another thing to consider is Romo's age. Expecting him to play at the current level for several more years is wishfull thinking. I expect him to start declining within the next three years. It is going to take too long to fix the trenches for Romo to benefit from it during his career if they continue at the current pace.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I find it odd that Dallas turns down every trade offer that comes along. That tells me that the organization overvalues their players and talent.
  7. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    They traded Bobby Carpenter.

NFL as a whole doesn't do a lot of trading of players.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,176 Messages
    2,021 Likes Received
    It is possible that what you say here is correct. However, I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe that this is accurate. What are you seeing or what have you heard or read that would lead you to this conclusion?

I think that another reason, and possibly the reason Chief among all others, is that this will likely be his last major contract. He needs to cash in right now. If he waits another year or two in a poor offense, his window is closed. Nobody will pay big money to a guy who might only be able to play another year or two. He needs to be able to capture a lucrative contract now. Now, he can probably sign a 5 year deal and play out the contract. I think it's more about money then many might want to recognize.

That, of course, is only my personal opinion.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,878 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    If we trade Romo we'd have no cap. We'd take about a 12m cap hit for trading him. He has voidable years and weird cap totals that require he be with us through 2013.

Further his huge base means he has to be extended.

Romo's agent did a phenomenal job on his last deal.

Trading Romo will NOT happen.

It is basically impossible.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,795 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    actually his last contract would be plenty live on if he got good investment advice.
    So its not about money like you think it is. Romo is not the kind of guy that buys expensive homes, cars, etc.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

35,176 Messages
    2,021 Likes Received
    If we don't trade him, we will spend 17 Million on him this season and he will be an FA, free and clear next year.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

35,176 Messages
    2,021 Likes Received
    No, this is opinion. There is nothing, at all, to suggest that Romo or his agent might be thinking this way.

Show me any kind of indication that this is not what is in the head of Romo and I can understand this position but I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe what you suggest here.
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,472 Messages
    2,367 Likes Received
    You're right. I'll just add that it's not all about the money. He won't be a sucker and sign some way below market deal, but it in no way needs to get the absolute , very best deal. I'm sure his agent would not appreciate that comment. :)

He does need assurances that they will fix the line. It does not have to be great, but it needs to be at least pretty good. I think they convinced him last year that they two guys they brought in would help...and now he is at least a bit wary. Maybe more importantly, his family is a bit worried--which was not a factor before. I'm not making this up...I'll just leave it at that.

Some need to recall the last three years for Romo here regarding the beating he is taking:
    2010: Broken collarbone--missed > half the season
    2011: Broken ribs, punctured lung early...busted hand and more busted ribs for the final Giants game. Played all 16 games anyway.
    2012: beat up all season and played with busted ribs in the Washington game. But played all 16 games.