1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Round 1 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by robert70x7, Mar 23, 2012.

1. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    This is my first try at one of these this year. It is a lot harder than it looks and I tried sticking to my board and finding pieces that would fit each team. Let me have it.

1. Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck - QB, Stanford.

2. Washington Redskins - Robert Griffin III - QB, Baylor.

3. Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil - OT, USC. This was a tossup between him and Claiborne. I can't tell if it's smoke or not, but Ponder needs a franchise LT to be given a fair shot.

4. Cleveland Browns - Trent Richardson - RB, Alabama. Cleveland is going to go through a huge makeover in this draft and they are fortunate to be in this position after Hillis fell for the Madden Curse.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Morris Claiborne - CB, LSU. Claiborne is drafted to become the next Ronde Barber. Richardson is the pick if he falls.

6. St. Louis Rams - Justin Blackmon - WR, Oklahoma State. They get "stuck" with the #1 receiver in the draft. Underwhelming pick, Fisher could make a bold move for someone else that the FO likes.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Quinton Coples - DE, North Carolina. I mocked this in our CZ draft and I think it's going to happen. Jaguars like their defensive line strong, remember Stroud and Henderson?
    8. Miami Dolphins - Ryan Tannehill - QB, Texas A&M. :lmao:

9. Carolina Panthers - Michael Brockers - DT, LSU. I'm not a believer in Poe and it was either Brockers or DeCastro. History favors that a guard not get drafted in the top 10. There's still hope Cowboy fans!

10. Buffalo Bills - Luke Kuechly - ILB, Boston College. They are building a scary defense up there and this is the icing on the cake.

11. Kansas City Chiefs - David DeCastro - G, Stanford. Sorry guys, had to do it. :chiefs:

12. Seattle Seahawks - Melvin Ingram - DE, South Carolina. Put the gun down guys.

13. Arizona Cardinals - Michael Floyd - WR, Notre Dame. They lost some pieces on offense and Larry Fitzgerald needs someone opposite him.

14. Dallas Cowboys - Fletcher Cox - DT/DE, Mississippi State. I'm starting to settle on this being our pick. I think Carr takes us out of the picture for taking a corner in the first. We need both trenches and secondary in our first 3 picks.

15. Philadelphia Eagles - Dre Kirkpatrick - CB, Alabama. Think they go defense here, and they need someone to replace Asante Samuel. Best player on board.

16. New York Jets - Courtney Upshaw - OLB, Alabama. Perfect fit.

17. Cincinatti Bengals - Cordy Glenn - G, Georgia. So they rid themselves of Nate Livings and get Cordy Glenn? :(

18. San Diego Chargers - Jonathan Martin - T, Stanford. He's been sliding as of late and he gets to stay in California.

19. Chicago Bears - Riley Reiff - T, Iowa. Like Martin, once projected top 10 falls for whatever reason. Reuniting Marshall and Cutler was a good start, now you just have to protect him.

20. Tennessee Titans - Nick Perry, USC. They need pass rush here, and they need it bad. Highest rated one on my board that's left.

21. Cincinatti Bengals - Janoris Jenkins - CB, South Carolina. They don't take him at 17 and still get the player they targeted. I liked JonJon's picks here during our mock, so I decided to keep it.

22. Cleveland Browns - Mike Adams - OT, Ohio State. Whether he likes it or not, he gets to stay in Ohio. In rounds 2-3 I see the Browns taking a QB and with Richardson and Adams, they just need one more piece for a great foundation.

23. Detroit Lions - Mark Barron - SS, Alabama. Highest rated player on my board at this point and they continue to bolster their defense.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Dontari Poe - NT, Memphis. He finally finds a home in Pittsburgh and they welcome him with open arms. Perfect fit.

25. Denver Broncos - Peter Konz - C, Wisconsin. After losing out on Saturday, Konz walks into a dream scenario with Peyton Manning under center. This is one of my most anticipated picks in the draft.

26. Houston Texans - Stephen Hill - WR, Georgia Tech. When Andre Johnson went down, they were hankering for someone to throw to. Scary matchup possibilities. Another option here is Fleener.

27. New England Patriots - Whitney Mercilus - DE, Illinois. Patriots will find a fit for him and Mel Kiper instantly hails this as the pick of the decade :espn:

28. Green Bay Packers - Devon Still - DT, Penn State. Green Bay gets the short straw after the Patriots pull the carpet from underneath them.

29. Baltimore Ravens - Dont'a Hightower - ILB, Alabama. Perfect fit, great mentor.

30. San Francisco 49ers - Kevin Zeitler - OG, Wisconsin. They show Alex Smith some love after kicking him to the curb.

31. New England Patriots - Doug Martin - RB, Boise State. This guy has New England Patriots written all over him. Tossup between Miller, Martin and Wilson, but I like Martin's versatility and coming from a great program.

32. New York Giants - Coby Fleener - TE, Stanford. Andrew Luck missses out on passing to his college teammate for the rest of his career and the Giants swoop him up. This is a scary thought. :giants:
  2. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,669 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    Definitely could work out that way. I think we need to come to grips with the idea that DeCastro and Ingram could both be gone before we pick. I'm not crazy about the Cox pick, but wouldn't be mad about it either. Do you think there's a chance they would go with Perry?
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I don't know, I have a weird opinion about it. I don't think we need a pass rusher, but our pass rush needs to improve. If we could get a nose tackle, move Ratliff to the outside and signing Carr will allow the defense some more time to get to the QB.

I think we need help along the defensive line more than our OLB spots.
  4. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,435 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I agree with this but OLB is still an important need because we need to prepare for the fact that Spencer may not be with the team in 2013.
  5. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I just don't see anyone worth taking at 14 to justify it. I agree with you, I just think we'll go with a straight pass rusher in the later rounds. I'm really hoping Bruce Irvin falls.
  6. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,435 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Yeah no doubt. I think the value is DL in the 1st round, OL and OLB in the 2nd, and CB in the 3rd and 4th
  7. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Jonathan Martin is not a 1st round pick anymore after his pro day. Lucky to go in 2nd. Janoris Jenkins will not get picked this high. Might not get selected til early 2nd. Stock is dropping after combine interviews. Stephen Gilmore should be on here in late 1st. Rest I agree on. Nice job
  8. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    What happened at Martin's pro day? I would hope his body of work in college would supercede his workouts.
  9. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I want Fleener so bad!
  10. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Just noticed your new mock draft. Do you have it on any authority that our comp pick will be after the 4th?
  11. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I get the feeling it will be a 5th but it goes against everyone who is telling me it will be a 4th. I like their prediction better so it's what I'm going with. :D
  12. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    By the way noticed Egnew in your mock, told the Cowboys really cooled on him as of late. Seems his skill set and what Dallas is looking for (think Kellen Davis) is not a good match.
  13. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Good to know, thanks. I still think we will go with a stopgap type situation or just draft an Evan Rodriguez type.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,068 Messages
    1,059 Likes Received
    Dont want have to face him twice a year for next decade either.
  15. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,669 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    I tend to agree. I'm not necessarily advocating Perry. It's just that I'm not really that crazy about any of the DL prospects either, except for Coples, and he'll most likely be gone.
  16. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I've been really bored tonight avoiding homework, so I went ahead and did 2 more rounds. I'll post it for those interested. After doing this, I'm finding hard to believe that Brandon Brooks will be there in the 3rd round, but I made it happen. Let me know what you guys think!

33, Rams: Brandon Thompson - DT, Clemson

34, Colts: Vinny Curry - DE/OLB, Marshall

35, Vikings: Alshon Jeffery - WR, South Carolina

36, Buccaneers: Lavonte David - OLB, Nebraska

37, Browns: Brandon Weeden - QB, Oklahoma State

38, Jaguars: Rueben Randle - WR, LSU

39, Rams: Zach Brown - OLB, North Carolina

40, Panthers: Kelechi Osemele - OG/T, Iowa State

41, Bills: Kendall Wright - WR, Baylor

42, Dolphins: Andre Branch - DE, Clemson

43, Seahawks: Amini Silatolu - G, Midwestern State

44, Chiefs: Alameda Ta'amu - NT, Washington

45, Cowboys: Brandon Boykin - CB, Georgia

46, Eagles: Jerel Worthy - DT, Michigan State

47, Jets: Bobby Massie - OT, Ole Miss

48, Patriots: Kendall Reyes - DT, Connecticut

49, Chargers: Josh Robinson - CB, Central Florida

50, Bears: Alfonzo Dennard - CB, Nebraska

51, Eagles: Harrison Smith - SS, Notre Dame

52, Titans: Mohamed Sanu - WR, Rutgers

53, Bengals: David Wilson - RB, Virginia Tech

54, Lions: Chase Minnifield - CB, Virginia

55, Falcons: Chandler Jones - DE, Syracuse

56, Steelers: Jayron Hosley - CB, Virginia Tech

57, Broncos: Lamar Miller - RB, Miami

58, Texans: Mitchell Schwartz - OT, Cal

59, Packers: Shea McClellin - DE/OLB, Boise State

60, Ravens: Zebrie Saners - OT, Florida State

61, 49ers: Chris Polk - RB, Washington

62, Patriots: Trumaine Johnson - CB/S, Montana

63, Giants: Bobby Wagner - LB, Utah State
  17. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Oh I agree, but after watching video of Cox, :laugh2: , I like what I've seen. I like Perry the most out of the 2nd tier pass rushers.

My choices for Dallas would be:
    1. David DeCastro
    2. Quinton Coples
    3. Michael Brockers
    4. Melvin Ingram
    5. Fletcher Cox
    6. Cordy Glenn
    7. Dontari Poe
  18. dantheman41

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Have read a hand full of scouts as of last week that have said after watching more video and seeing him at pro day he isn't even the 3rd ranked tackle on a lot of teams boards anymore. Lack of strength is one of biggest issues
  19. dantheman41

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Your second round btw looks very solid. Only real disagreement I have is Kendall Wright. From what I've been reading and hearing it would be an absolute shock if he drops past 20. Some scouts have him ranked as number 1 receiver
  20. BigMac6

BigMac6 Member

83 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    After reading more and more mock drafts that have DeCastro well gone before we pick, trade down few spots and pick Konz should be ideal...IMHO of course.