1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rules, strategy, positions changed specifically for a Cowboys player?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TruBlueCowboy, Feb 18, 2006.

1. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Got the idea for this in the "Big E" thread and the rule changes made just because of Eric Williams and his female dog slapping of so many defensive ends. I figure if we all brainstorm, we can come up with a pretty impressive list that highlights how often the league has had to change because of the Cowboys.

Probably the most popular recent change made as a result of a Dallas Cowboy was Roy Williams and the horsecollar rule. What other NFL norms were created specifically to counter, adjust, or react to Dallas Cowboys players or coaches? Not just rules, but situational positions, coaching strategies, awards, league finances, anything?
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The Emmitt Smith removing your helmet rule

The strict enforcement of the push off rule....it was ok when Rice did it but not Irvin

The salary cap.....without that who knows how many SB's Jerry could have bought

That's just off the top of my head
  3. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Didn't the NFL change the ways in which teams could benefit from sponsorships after Jerry Jones went out on his own and got the huge Pepsi contract?
  4. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Jerry just used a loop hole. The sponsorships were for Texas Stadium :D
  5. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here's another one. Were blocking fullbacks given a spot at the Pro Bowl before Darryl Johnston came along?
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,273 Messages
    5,522 Likes Received
    I never understood the rule to begin with and I understand it even less now.

Did it even get called all year? If so, I never saw one.

It appears to me there was much to do about nothing with as much publicity it received when it was being created.
  7. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...developed and implemented to negate speedy WRs. Bullet Bob Hayes.
  8. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,046 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    How about specials team players in the Pro Bowl because of Bill Bates?
  9. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...Steve Tasker first? Not entirely sure though.
  10. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As an organization, the Cowboys have always been on the cutting edge.

They were way ahead of everyone in scouting players, using computers, having cheerleaders, specific marketing campaigns, etc.

This may not be necessarily viewed as a positive thing, but I think Dallas was the first organization to have its own security person (Larry Wansley, retired FBI). Also the first to have a kicking coach, I believe.

On the field, Landry was very innovative. All the shifts and motions on offense, the resurrection of the shotgun formation, his version of the 4-3 ...

Combine all this with the things mentioned in the previous threads, the team's rating as the winningest franchise in the Super Bowl era (thanks to Thumper's research) and you have the flagship franchise in the NFL.
  11. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,378 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    I am thinking it was Bates that pioneered that ST position in the pro-bowl.
  12. MRTRIPOD

MRTRIPOD New Member

338 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Roy Williams Horse Collar RULE
    DEION Signing bonus rule
    Emmitt helmet rule
    Erik Williams Hands to Face Rule
    Irvin Push Off Rule

any more?
  13. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If I'm not mistaken......the coloring other than white on the 20 yd & 50 yd lines....The Cowboys were first to do it.

The increase in size and coloring of the yard sticks......What is common now....The Cowboys were first to do.

Thank you Tex
  14. jackrussell

jackrussell Last of the Duke Street Kings

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought there was more of a 'clubbing' rule in regards to Williams.
  15. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,645 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    The NFL decided that we couldn't have our own TV station after we had already created one.
  16. Jersey

Jersey Member

478 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Incidental contact- after swan tripped over an already fallen Benny Barnes in SB XIII. Maybe the uncatchable ball rule as well, since it was also a significant part of that play.
  17. Draegerman

Draegerman Internet Somebody

3,706 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Unless I'm mistaken, the "Incidental Contact" rule had the greatest impact against FS, Cliff Harris. I remembered it being reported that before this rule was passed, Harris had been the best cover safety in the league. And he was literally doing it by "jack-slapping" the receiver up and down the field throughout the game. Subsequently, it was because of this rule (along with getting older, no doubt) that led to Cliff's eventual retirement.
  18. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,508 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Bob Hayes changed the game of football.
  19. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Roy Williams horse collar rule
    Kevin Smith pass interference calls
    Erik Williams hands to the face rule
    Deion Sanders rule regarding contracts (once he signed with Dallas, regardless of having signed a BS contract with the 49ers the year before)
    $700 million lawsuit vs. Jerry Jones for letting Phil Knight on the sideline
    Emmitt Smith helmet rule
    Michael Irvin push-off rule
  20. jackrussell

jackrussell Last of the Duke Street Kings

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Whah?