1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rumor about Boldin on SI w/ Dall. interested

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by mmillman, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    The Cardinals' salary spotlight shifted instantly to wide receiver Anquan Boldin, who is scheduled to be paid considerably less than his receiving counterpart. Last season, the Cardinals offered Boldin a contract extension, and here's the key fact to consider: Boldin told them he wanted to wait for Larry Fitzgerald to finalize his new deal. Now that he has, it dwarfs Boldin's, whose average annual salary is three to four times less than Fitzgerald's. Philadelphia, Washington and Dallas have explored the possibility of acquiring a big-name wide receiver, only to find that there aren't any readily available. Now those teams could wind up exploring Boldin's availability.
  2. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I'm assuming Boldin only has one year left on his contract or these talks are a little silly?

I still like RW from detroit better. I think he could be had at a tad of a discount compared to Boldin because its clear he wants to come back home.
  3. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Yeah, I think Boldin has one year left and now is way underpaid in comparison to Fitz. That is the dilemna for these teams that will lose these marquee guys for nothing.
  4. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What make these guys think Cowboys can afford players of his caliber. Look how cheap Jerry Jones was in free agency.
  5. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You mean retaining all of our key players from a 13-3 team, including a 6 yeard 43+ million dollar deal to Flozell Adams that had 15 million in guaranteed money? What a penny pincher.
  6. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Was that being cheap, or smart?? Has it occurred to you that maybe the Cowboys didn't like the players available on this market, and saw nobody they were willing to overspend for??

The Cowboys have the flexibility to create a significant amount of cap room if the right opportunities present themselves, but each time they play the renegotiation game, they limit future flexibility... so IMO, it's nothing but judicious to pick and choose which free agents you wish to pursue VERRRRRY carefully...

Jerry's got a lot of flaws, but being cheap's not one of them...
  7. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,769 Messages
    1,608 Likes Received
    ............................:rolleyes:

Some people just don't get it.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,418 Messages
    2,121 Likes Received
    Cheap? What was there to spend money on?
  9. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,539 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    Boldin is more a posession guy, like Crayton. They need someone to stretch the D.
  10. COWBOYSNUM1

COWBOYSNUM1 Active Member

621 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I would love to have Boldin also, but these talks are silly. He's locked up for 3 more years.

Per Schefter, some in the Cardinals organization actually regard Boldin as the better wideout. But Boldin will make far, far less than Fitzgerald over the next three seasons — he’s due to earn base salaries of $2.5 million, $2.75 million, $3 million in 2008, 2009, and 2010, respectively. (PFT)
  11. firehawk350

firehawk350 Active Member

2,108 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't really call Boldin a strict possession receiver exactly. He's a great after the catch guy though, a lot like TO.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,348 Messages
    3,640 Likes Received
    For that kind of money I wouldn't trade him either if I were the Cards.
  13. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Boldin has 3 years left. The Cardinals would be crazy to trade him as he is very cheap.
  14. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    so no official conf. we're interested, just some writers guess we could be.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,732 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    I'd love to trade for Boldin. Don't see it happening, but still...
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,621 Messages
    2,006 Likes Received
    I don't think Jones is ever "cheap". He is just spending his money where he and his staff feel the value is. He did the right thing in not overspending in free agency. Now you may have a point about the affordability of Bouldin.
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,818 Messages
    2,663 Likes Received
    Exactly. Unless he holds out or does something drastic, he just doesn't have any leverage.

Boy would I love to get him, though. He's one tough, strong, hard-playing mofo.
  18. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,166 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    COME on down to big D
  19. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,540 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    difference between blowing money on overrated system players then retaining our own skilled players. there wasn't one f.a. that screamed we needed to get him
  20. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,894 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    Just like we were with Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Javon Walker, Asante Samuel, Drayton Florence, and others.

Nothing like batting a big, fat, pregnant .000 there.

YAKUZA