1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rumor: Doug free to be released?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bowdown27, Feb 5, 2013.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,555 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    Hopefully they have enough information with Parnell to feel comfortable.

He got quite a bit of PT and they get to see him every day in practice.

I understand what you're saying though.
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,500 Messages
    995 Likes Received
    If coaches ran their teams with that attitude they would never move on to a young development player.
  3. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,755 Messages
    949 Likes Received
    Not as much as guard/center.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,587 Messages
    1,540 Likes Received
    Coaches do run their teams that way. At least the ones who are here long enough to be called NFL Coaches.
  5. plymkr

plymkr Member

115 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Thank you. I kept getting confused with all the numbers flying around. Appreciate it.
  6. dfan32

dfan32 Member

273 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I've heard it said a few times that Free played very well when Kozier played next to him. Is it possible we stretched him a little thin when we placed a terrible guard next to him?
  7. ABQCOWBOY

34,587 Messages
    1,540 Likes Received
    It is possible but I don't think that's going to get a great amount of support in here.

Free did play relatively well when he had Kosier next to him. The problem is that he was playing LT then. Nobody on this board and I suspect, nobody on the Cowboy Staff is in love with the idea of him moving back to LT. They want Smith to be that guy because the see more upside there. The real problem is that Free, IMO, is not suited to RT. He's just not a RT IMO. He can't play Guard so that leaves LT and that's probably never going to happen.
  8. dfan32

dfan32 Member

273 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Thanks. I thought Kozier did play on the right side briefly last year. And it had helped Free improve some. Must have been the year before.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,439 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    Free played very well when Colombo was hurt. Did very well at RT. So to say he cannot is BS.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,784 Messages
    4,336 Likes Received
    When Free is getting driven straight back into the QB or getting beat by a speed rusher on the outside, the OG is not part of that play.

The OG is critical when it comes to plays where the OG an OT have to hand-off pass-rushers to each other and when they have to know what each other is doing on Blitzes. This is not the area where Free struggled. His struggles were primarily caused by physical limitations. He has a weakness in his game that was not exposed until the 49ers game early in the 2011 season. Defenders have been exploiting his weakness ever since that game.

On the other hand, any problems that Parnell had this season were primarily due to how he interacted with the OG. Parnell was good when defenders tried to bull-rush him or tried to beat him to the outside with quickness; however, he occasionally had an issue of not knowing exactly what to do in terms of handing-off or taking pass-rushers from the OG. This is all due to limited experience. A quality veteran OG playing next to him next year should be a high priority.
  11. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,650 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    If Free is released, I could see a scenario where Jerry and co. bring in a vet. tackle to compete with Parnell for the starting RT position. Loser would be the swing tackle.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

34,587 Messages
    1,540 Likes Received
    Free played a very limited role at RT when Colombo was hurt. I would say that he played OK but I would not say that he played very well. He played very well in context to his experience but that's not the same thing as playing very well as a starter IMO. Also, the game plans we used in those situations were heavey on the help with both TEs and Backs. That's not something you can do throughout the season. You really need a guy who can hold his own out there and that, IMO, is not Free at RT.

You can say it's BS but the facts speak for themselves. Are you trying to say that Free can play RT and you have proof of that somewhere?
  13. ABQCOWBOY

34,587 Messages
    1,540 Likes Received
    I don't really agree with this. I do agree that Free had issues, at times, being bull rushed and that is a major difference between playing RT and LT. However, it makes a difference if you have a good Guard next to you on every single play because if you trust who is next to you, then you set up differently and you actually explode differently. Your not worried about the guy coming next to you or if your guy takes you to an inside move nearly as much. You are able to focus on fewer things because you have a trust factor. It does make a difference. Now, you can argue that it doesn't make enough difference to compensate for Free's play at RT and I would probably agree with that simply because I don't believe he is a RT but I think to be fair, you have to acknowledge that fact that it does make a difference when you trust the Guard playing next to you.
  14. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

809 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Why would you all let the best right tackle you've had since Erik Williams go?
  15. ABQCOWBOY

34,587 Messages
    1,540 Likes Received
    Are you on the wrong forum?
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,500 Messages
    995 Likes Received
    Please show him the correct one.:p:
  17. ABQCOWBOY

34,587 Messages
    1,540 Likes Received
    I would think that it would be evident. It's the one that doesn't claim Free is the best RT we've had since Erik Williams.

Do you need further help seeing the way?
  18. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,952 Messages
    359 Likes Received

I can't believe nobody has challenged this in this thread, yet. I mean, COME ON man! PFF! What do THEY know! :rolleyes:
  19. burmafrd

41,439 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    you ignore 'facts' when it suits you. Fact is Free played quite well replacing an injured colombo.
  20. burmafrd

41,439 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    like a blind squirrel lucking on an acorn sometimes PFF gets it right