1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Running back or wide receiver in the 2005 draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tyke1doe, Nov 17, 2004.

1. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,622 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    Well, since we're focusing on the 2005 draft so soon :(

I keep reading posters say we need to draft Mike Williams in the first round if he's there. But I disagree with that. I think the running back position is the biggest need position on the offense. And even if we do have Julius Jones and he shows something in the remaining game, I think you can never have enough good backs (see the Vikings and the Broncos).

So here's my question, assuming we don't load up on defensive players (which I believe we will do with our first two picks) if we draft Rodrique Wright, Antrel Rolle or Derrick Johnson with our first pick and assuming we want a dynamic offensive player and assuming they're there with our second pick who would you go with:

Mark Clayton

Michael Williams

Ronnie Brown (My pick. He's stronger than Cadillac, runs between the tackles and can catch out of the backfield. Besides, a running attack will help our receivers immensely. Michael Williams won't help our offense if we have no running game.)

Cadillac Williams.
  2. Dallas31

Dallas31 Member

445 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    none of the above, defense is a much bigger need if you haven't seen the last few games.....
  3. Roughneck

Roughneck Active Member

2,682 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's why we go Defense with our First 1st Rounder. We need a playmaker on the Offensive side of the ball with our Second 1st Rounder.

My vote would go to Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards if either are still there.
  4. BUSDRIV3RDH

BUSDRIV3RDH New Member

274 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I totally disagree with the Defense first philosphy. Bring in an "impact" player on offense, we become a big play or two a game away from winning, not to mention the added psychological effect that will trickle down to the defense just knowing the offense can deliver. Right now they have to much on their plate and the biggest serving is...knowing they have to make something big happen becasue the offense sure as hell wont.

Besides, Mike Williams will NOT still be availble by the time we make our 2nd first round pick, heck, we'll be lucky if he's still on the table when we pick our first one. We grab him with 1a or we get ready for another "Randy Moss" experiance as we kick ourselves in the a** for the next 10 years, regretting this mistake.

Pick defense without question with 1b though. And I say DL and CB through Free Agency, and aim for Derrick Johnson at LB, with 1b.
  5. DandyDon

DandyDon Member

158 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1st pick - Defense
    2nd pick - Defense
    3rd pick - Defense

I think you get it......
  6. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,833 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    If we seriously are going to make the swith to a 3-4 defense, I would say massive DT and LB would be in order.
  7. DandyDon

DandyDon Member

158 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We have a winner!!!!!
    (maybe a CB, too)
  8. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We should definitely take Ronnie Brown if he is available. This guy is big, has great vision, has great speed (if effective running inside and outside), he catches like a wide receiver, and he blocks like a fullback.
  9. BlueStar II

BlueStar II New Member

1,813 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Considering the current state of our defense, I think we'll almost certainly go defense with our first picks.
  10. jdnalls

jdnalls New Member

1,170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    *Yawn*

I'll pass on both. Give me Mike Williams!
  11. DoomsDayD

DoomsDayD Well-Known Member

1,612 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I think we can pick up some nice defensive players in the FA market. UNless johnson the LB is there when we make one of our picks.
  12. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,702 Messages
    185 Likes Received

why isn't he getting 25 carries at Auburn if he's so good?
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,892 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    It all depends on what you do in FA prior to the draft, it also depends on who is there when you draft and what offers are made from other teams to trade up.

If Julius Jones shows us something when he plays this season, then we get a decent RB via FA to fill out our RB corp...then there would be no reason to get another RB in the first round....maybe later in the second day.

Same could be said if we get a good DT or LB via FA prior to the draft.
  14. DandyDon

DandyDon Member

158 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I couldn't have said it better myself!
  15. BrAinPaiNt

60,892 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received

I agree with you.

;) :p
  16. Q_the_man

Q_the_man Active Member

2,337 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Draft Williams if available,Period.........

Then we go all D, actually if Edwards is there on pick 1b I'll take him also.......

But I do like the LB out of Texas...or the CB from Auburn-Rogers
  17. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,702 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    Why Mike Williams? he doesn't have any speed. Look around the league, most of the successful WR have some ability to stretch the field and make CB respect their deep speed. All the top WR ie Moss, Owens, Mould and guy from ID (can't believe i don't remember his name) all possess some speed to get deep. Mike William is just a younger version of Keyshawn....another possession WR. We already got a possesion guy in Witten.......

Besides if we don't have a qb, it doesn't matter! A good RB will make an average QB that much better and allow the WR time to get open. I vote for RB...just dont' know which one.
  18. jacs

jacs I'd Hit It

2,406 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    we should go Defense the whole draft, offensively we are good
  19. BrAinPaiNt

60,892 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received

That mentality is what made Anquin (sp?) Bolden fall to the 2nd round...and he just went out to become Rookie of the Year for the Cardinals and set an NFL Rookie record by getting 100+ receptions.
  20. Gah

Gah Benched

31 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If we dont use both of those picks on defensive players, im going to break my television.