1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Running the Seattle Defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by supercowboy8, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,418 Messages
    4,963 Likes Received
    2012:
    Bryant 24 tkls 0 sks
    Hatcher 51 tkls 4 sks

More 2012:
    Clemons 40 tkls 11.5 sks
    Bryant 24 tkls 0 sks
    Irvin 16 tkls 8 sks
    Scruggs 6 tkls 2 sks

Branch 29 tkls 1 sk (plays 3 tech)
    Mebane 56 tkls 3 sks (plays 1 tech)
    Jones 10 tkls 3 sks
    McDonald 25 tkls 0 sks

Ware 56 tkls 11.5 sks (played hurt)
    Spencer 95 tkls 11 sks
    Butler 25 tkls 3 sks
    Albright 31 tkls 0 sks

Hatcher 51 tkls 4 sks
    Lissemore 35 tkls 1 sk
    Ratliff 16 tkls 0 sks (6 gms)
    Spears 25 tkls 1 sk
    Crawford 20 tkls 0 sks
    Brent 22 tkls 1.5 sks

2011:
    Mebane
    2011 56 tkls 0 sks
    2010 31 tks 1 sk

Ratliff
    2011 38 tkls 2 sks
    2010 31 tkls 3.5 sks
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Correct, so he should be able to play the position and be much better at it.
  3. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,113 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    great job explaining the defense thanks.
  4. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,549 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    maybe my point is Dallas isn't physical enough on defense to get same results as Seattle and not having a Earl Thomas is huge.
  5. xwalker

12,418 Messages
    4,963 Likes Received
    I think the one almost universal agreement with members of the board and the media/fans is that the Cowboys need an upgrade at Safety.

They need an upgrade regardless of the defensive scheme, IMO.
  6. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,445 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Maybe you're just not aware of what PR means.
    The fact that Kiffin was mentor to Bradley and Carroll doesn't contradict the idea of giving the fans a current and real world representation of what direction we hope to go. Add to that the extra boost that we want to go in the direction of the team that beat us up the most. The mere fact that it is being mentioned is PR in and of itself. PR does not mean BS as you seem to think based on your post. None of the points you brought up (all very valid and good) is an argument against it being PR though.

If there was no intention to point the fans in a certain direction as to the hopes for our D, Hatcher never would have mentioned Seattle.
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    They need to upgrade at safety, but to claim that the only way you can possibly effectively run it is to have Earl Thomas is not true. It's like saying the only way you could possibly effectively run the 3-4 is to have Troy Polamalu
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If Monte Kiffin were worried about public relations and fan opinion, seems like the best way to do so would be to directly come out and give a direct statement to fans about how we're running Seattle's defense.

Not the round-about way of privately saying that we're running something similar to Seattle's defense to the players, and then hoping that they find a way to squeeze it into a conversation to reporters when pressed about it.

Just using Occam's Razor here, I would suggest the reason he brought up Seattle's defense to the players is because he's going to have them play in something similar to Seattle's defense, and there are no grand Machiavellian intentions at play.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,518 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    Carroll's 4-3 under has more in common with Tom Landry than Monte Kiffin. **should add Belichek of course.

He's given many talks on this.

See this article.
    http://trojanfootballanalysis.com/?p=308

It isn't a Tampa 2 defense at all.
    Plays a ton of cover 1.

Actually makes a lot of sense for Dallas who just spent a fortune to plug in 2 man corners.

Will be interesting to watch.

And of course regardless of scheme we need better safety play than we had in 2012 where it was in the 2 or 3 worst of the entire league.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,518 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    Kiffin is too old to worry about PR. Jerry might spew PR nonsense but Kiffin could clearly care less.

He wasn't going to say go watch my crappy USC defenses. Seattle is VERY likely the model. Stud LBs, relentless pass rush and man coverage. What's not to like.
  11. xwalker

12,418 Messages
    4,963 Likes Received
    This all started with a radio interview with Carr. It's possible that Kiffin made this comment specifically to Carr or to the secondary. It might not have been a statement made to the entire defense.

Also, Seattle's Defensive Coordinator is a Kiffin protege.
  12. supercowboy8

5,336 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    He told Hatcher the same and also told Hatcher he will being play DE and DT depending on the package
  13. supercowboy8

5,336 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Again did you read my post. I stated that one of the needs was a thomas like safety. We need a playmaking safety no matter what defense we run.
  14. Erik_H

2,445 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Ahh, I see... slight misunderstanding here. It's not Kiffen doing any PR. It's the Cowboys. It's not having hatcher look at Seattle's D that's PR at all. that's just coaching. It's that Hatcher mentioned it and brought it to light. Players are coached on what to say and I have do doubt that the nugget about him looking at film of Seattle's D was intentional. I wouldn't be surprised if Hatcher is looking at film of 3 or 4 different teams at this point (Chicago at the very least) but Seattle was brought up for a specific purpose. IMO it was because we as fans very likely have a strong memory of that spanking, and turning that memory into hope that our D could become that was the purpose.
  15. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,694 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    From what I know, the media didn't get this direct from Kiffin. They got it via the players.
  16. Erik_H

2,445 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Right. It was from Hatcher.
  17. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,694 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    So Hatcher is in charge of PR now?
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,940 Messages
    2,155 Likes Received
    Yes. The knashing of teeth early on about having "Cover 2" safties has thankfully subsided.
  19. supercowboy8

5,336 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    and also Carr
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Or is that what they WANT you to believe.

:shush:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.