1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Russ Lande relays what he is hearing from NFL sources about four prospects

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Dec 24, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    1. Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific, Senior (6087, 309 and 5.33): While there has been a lot of talk about other small school prospects, a few of scouts have told us how much Marquardt intrigues them. A mountain of a man who has started at left tackle for three seasons, he has improved dramatically during his career working with Azusa Pacific’s offensive line coach NFL Hall of Fame Offensive Lineman Jackie Slater. Naturally athletic, Marquardt is still working to play up to that athleticism in games. Scouts told us that in practice he displays better technique, especially blocking with a wide base, staying over feet and using hands well to “get a good fit”, than he does in games when he tends to bend at the waist, lean and reach to make blocks. Even though he is far from a finished product, linemen with his size, strength, natural athleticism and good character are hard to find and assure him of being drafted and given the chance to develop for a season or two as either a backup or practice squad player.

2. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas, Senior (6044, 260 and 4.95): For a player who has been hyped as a likely first round pick over the last year, our film evaluation told us a different story. After our disappointment we contacted a handful of scouts to see if we were on the right track and they agreed with our assessment. Despite his strong build and good initial quickness off the ball, he is not a good all-around athlete and is a “tweener” stuck between defensive end and outside linebacker. While he is consistently the first defensive linemen moving at the snap, he lacks the premier speed and flexibility to get to and turn the corner consistently. He lacks any real variety of pass rush moves and cannot change directions quickly enough to threaten the offensive tackle with quick secondary pass rush moves. Not natural dropping off the line into coverage, he looks upright and robotic in his movements. His tendency to allow blockers to get into his chest leads to him being tied up and kept out of the play way too often. Do not be surprised to see Okafor slide to the third day of the Draft as he is not viewed as an elite NFL prospect.

3. Akeem Spence, DT, Illinois, Junior (6010, 300 and 4.85): While Spence definitely could have helped his draft status by staying in school for his senior season to try and work his way into the first round, he is still a well thought of player with starting potential. After redshirting his first season at Illinois, Spence started 38 straight games his last three years before leaving early for the Draft, which he did after receiving his degree. Despite being shorter than ideal at an estimated 6-0 to 6-1, Spence consistently showed the playing strength to anchor at the point of attack against run blocks and was able to shed and make tackles on inside runs.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    Russ love him some Jesse Williams.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,293 Messages
    4,837 Likes Received
    Interesting, 6'8-7/8".
  4. xwalker

12,293 Messages
    4,837 Likes Received
    Alabama lists Jesse Williams at 320 and Chance Warmack at 322. One of those must be wrong. Warmack looks much heavier.
  5. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,016 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I agree I think Williams is lighter and Warmack may be heavier than listed weight. What do you say Walker late 2nd or late 3rd? He has a mohawk haircut so take that into account.
  6. xwalker

12,293 Messages
    4,837 Likes Received
    :laugh2::laugh1::lmao2::lmao:
  7. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,604 Messages
    1,055 Likes Received
    A little surprised by this. He's been a productive player the past couple years at Texas. I see him as a DE in a 3-4 if/when he puts on a little more weight. I seriously doubt he slips to the 3rd day, but if he does somehow slip that far, I'd love to have him as a Cowboy. He'd give us great depth at a position of need if we could get him in a later round. Plus, I know he's a Cowboys fan which is always a plus. But again I'd be shocked if he fell past the 2nd-3rd round.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,516 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    1. Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific, Senior (6087, 309 and 5.33): While there has been a lot of talk about other small school prospects, a few of scouts have told us how much Marquardt intrigues them. A mountain of a man who has started at left tackle for three seasons, he has improved dramatically during his career working with Azusa Pacific’s offensive line coach NFL Hall of Fame Offensive Lineman Jackie Slater. Naturally athletic, Marquardt is still working to play up to that athleticism in games. Scouts told us that in practice he displays better technique, especially blocking with a wide base, staying over feet and using hands well to “get a good fit”, than he does in games when he tends to bend at the waist, lean and reach to make blocks. Even though he is far from a finished product, linemen with his size, strength, natural athleticism and good character are hard to find and assure him of being drafted and given the chance to develop for a season or two as either a backup or practice squad player.

Well if he can't play OT then put him at DE and let him rush the passer.

I've wondered when we would get to taller OTs. Shaq would have been a tremendous OT in my opinion.
  9. xwalker

12,293 Messages
    4,837 Likes Received
    Luke Marquardt

He appears to have good athleticism.

He is #77 in this video. There is some good quality and some poor quality video mixed together. Jump to about 1:27 to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In_Ury-FjzQ