1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Russia Completes Shipment of Uranium to Iran

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by zrinkill, Jan 28, 2008.

1. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,048 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    MOSCOW — Russia has completed the shipment of uranium fuel for Iran's first nuclear plant, officials said Monday.

Irina Yesipova, a spokeswoman for Russia's state Atomstroiexport company in charge of building the nuclear plant in the southern port of Bushehr, said the eighth and final shipment of 9.5 tons of uranium fuel had been delivered overnight.

Iran received the first shipment of nuclear fuel from Russia on Dec. 17 after months of dispute between the two countries, allegedly over delayed construction payments for the reactor.

Overall, more than 132 tons of uranium fuel had been delivered, Yesipova said.

Iran has said Bushehr, the country's first nuclear reactor, will begin operating in the summer of 2008, producing half its 1,000-megawatt capacity of electricity.

Yesipova said that a firm date for the plant's launch hadn't been set yet. "It will be necessary to conduct complex work related to preparations for the launch with security being the top priority," she said.

The U.S. initially opposed Russia's contract for building the Bushehr reactor and supplying it with fuel, but later softened its position as Iran agreed to return spent nuclear fuel from the reactor to Russia to ensure it doesn't extract plutonium from it to make atomic bombs.
    /**/
    Russia's decision to ship nuclear fuel to Iran followed a U.S. intelligence report released last month that concluded Tehran had stopped its nuclear weapons program in late 2003 and had not resumed it since. Iran says it never had a weapons program.

The United States and Russia have said the supply of nuclear fuel means Iran has no need to continue its own uranium enrichment program — a process that can provide fuel for a reactor or fissile material for a bomb.

Iran has insisted it would continue enriching uranium because it needed to provide fuel to a 300-megawatt light-water reactor it was building in the southwestern town of Darkhovin.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325906,00.html
  2. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    wow, that is just great:(
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,524 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    "I looked the man in the eye. I found him to be very straight forward and trustworthy and we had a very good dialogue ... I was able to get a sense of his soul."

~President Bush on Vladimir Putin, 2001.

LINK
  4. Route 66

Route 66 Active Member

3,310 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Hear we go again....
  5. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So what is the relevance? Are you trying to connect Bush to Putin in this? Or is this just another opportunity to take a jab at Bush?
  6. Sasquatch

4,524 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    It's perfectly germane to the discussion. The President's foreign policy, based on a fundamental misapprehension of reality, has been fairly disastrous. The situation with Russia is a prime example of this as evidenced by the quote.
  7. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,048 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  8. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Would you like to by my Gulf Coast property right outside of Waco?
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Why by fake land from a joker?

Sorry. That quote does pertain to this topic.

We decry all countries that harbor or finance terrorists yet we are good of buddies with the Saudis.

We Decry any country that does business with what we consider terrorists nations yet we have a president that looks into the eyes and soul of someone like Putin who not only is dealing with the Iranians but he also tried to have many killed who opposed him.

We deal with and have become in debt to the chinese who are also dealing with a nation that we deem a terrorists nation.

So...while some of you may not like it, some bashing IS legit and this happens to be one of them.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    Saudis themselves have lost a lot of police and security forces to terrorist attacks. No doubt there are some in the royal family who sympathizes with these terrorist groups but when talking the royal family we are not talking a few people the over all Royal family is huge but for the most part I do think the Saudis have helped in the capture and killings of terrorist and they have as much to loss if not more than the US
  11. Sasquatch

4,524 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    How nice that this president is absolved of any responsibility by some individuals. But I suppose it reflects the same mentality that sees boards of directors generously reward CEOs for running their companies into the ground.

I'm sure Russia's intransigence on the Iranian nukes questions has nothing to do with this administration thumbing its nose at Russia with respect to invading Iraq, expanding NATO, wanting to install a missile shield around its borders, and actively promoting anti-Russian parties in places in the Ukraine. Or perhaps Bush's penetrating gaze into the Russian soul convinced him that we could overtly slight that nation on every occasion and still expect them to tow American policy on sensitive questions like Iran.

You reap what you sow.
  12. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    This has to do with Russia own needs of oil and money. Personally I don't trust Russia or Putin. As for this deal I think this is something that should be closely monitored by the UN nuclear regulatory agency but if the agreement is as the article mentions then this is not all bad

"The U.S. initially opposed Russia's contract for building the Bushehr reactor and supplying it with fuel, but later softened its position as Iran agreed to return spent nuclear fuel from the reactor to Russia to ensure it doesn't extract plutonium from it to make atomic bombs.
    /**/
    Russia's decision to ship nuclear fuel to Iran followed a U.S. intelligence report released last month that concluded Tehran had stopped its nuclear weapons program in late 2003 and had not resumed it since. Iran says it never had a weapons program.

The United States and Russia have said the supply of nuclear fuel means Iran has no need to continue its own uranium enrichment program — a process that can provide fuel for a reactor or fissile material for a bomb."

Myself I don't have an issue with Iran using nuclear power the concern has always been about the enrichment of uranium to weapons grade
  13. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nice one. So explain again how this has anything to do with Putin selling the Iranians uranium? That statement was made at the beginning of Bush's presidency when he was trying to ensure continued good relations with Russia. It has nothing to do with Russia selling the uranium. If you want to argue that it is a character flaw of the President that he misread Putin very badly, I can agree with that. But this quote, taken out of context, is not germane to the conversation. Had Bush said at the time "Boy, that Vladimir would never sell uranium to a terrorist state" I might concede the point. But the context of the quote does not pertain to the current use by Sasquatch.
  14. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Who absolved him of any responsibility? I certainly didn't. But the quote was not used in context.

Your second paragraph seems to be indicating that you are absolving Russia of any wrongdoing in this matter. Regardless of any nose-thumbing, does it not bother you that the Russians are just as guilty, if not moreso, than the US (Bush in particular) for increasing the instability in the region by giving them the material to create a nuclear weapon?
  15. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Oh I didn't know that Putin just recently had dealings with a nation we consider a terrorist nation.

I did not know that Russia was also part of the oil for food scandal with iraq just recently.

I did not realize that Putin was all for democracy but having those, or trying to have those, that disagree with him killed.

But you are right, it has nothing to do with the now...I mean maybe he went from a good soul to an evil soul since 2001.
  16. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So, again, what does that have to do with the context of the quote as used in Sasquatch's post? That's all really nice sarcasm, but not to the point. The OP was about uranium sales to Iran from Russia. Sasquatch takes the quote and uses it out of context, and now you are addressing issues that have nothing to do with the OP or the quote that was used out of context. If the isue is one of character flaws of the current President, fine, but the OP is about uranium sales from Russia to Iran.
  17. Sasquatch

4,524 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Because the sale itself occurs within the larger context of this administration's failed Russian policy.

What is it with you and policing threads? I notice that you're a real stickler for keeping on topic except when it comes to asides and tangents by those who share your political philosophy.
  18. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Honestly, I would ask it the other way around. Is it this administration's failed Russian policy, or could it be the Russian's US policy failed? Is it always the US's fault? Or is it only the US's fault because of Bush?

I notice that you never skip an opportunity to post out of context if it suits you, and then turn around take on other members when they go off on a tangent that is not in line with your views. I think Bush fouled up a bunch of things, just as Clinton did, but neither man was totally wrong ALL of the time.
  19. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Because this is yet another example of Putin not being the good guy that bush seen in his eyes.

It is about judging a character.

Do YOU think he, Putin, is a good guy?

Would YOU ever look into his eyes and be bold, or dumb enough, to come out and say what bush did back then?

I understand the idea of trying to establish a good relationship with russia but come on. I bet a seeing eye dog could see that putin is not a good guy.

It almost goes hand in hand with Bush and his ability to judge character or competence.
  20. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    Who says Bush trust Putin? Bush like any president has dealings with Putin just as we do with China and these relationships are there because it beats how things were during the cold war. There are many issue we will disagree with but the lines of communication are open more today than what it was during the cold war.