1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

RW:Peter King says the Texans love LSU CB Patrick Peterson & says he smells a tradeup

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 18, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Patrick Peterson - DB - Player SI's Peter King says the Texans love LSU CB Patrick Peterson and says he smells a trade-up.
    The Texans are slated to pick 11th overall, and it's hard to see Peterson falling further than seventh to the Niners. But the Texans laughable secondary desperately needs help after ranking dead last against the pass last season. Trading up to nab the freakish Peterson makes sense.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/17/mmqb/1.html
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    It would take alot for the Texans to move up that far.
  3. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    why they are only two spots behind us
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,234 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    I think SC8 is talking about jumping up to pass SF. IDK.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,926 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    It's require some sort of combo trade.
    Just an example...
    They could trade their 11th and 43rd picks for Arizona's 5th and 69th.

I suspect Arizona wouldn't mind having Alden Smith or Quinn at 11 if they could get one of them there. Of course, Zona may want Peterson for themselves.
  6. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    SF wont trade the 7th pick, they would rather have Peterson so if they do it will take a whole hell of alot. So they will have to get up tp 5 or 6. It would take Dallas a 1st and 3rd and 5th to get up to 6. thats just 3 spots. It will take a 1st and 2nd to get there from 11.

When you talking about the top 12 spots, 2 spots is a big on the value chart.
  7. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    a 1st, 2nd and a 6th is alot to move up for one player for a team that needs multiple help on defense.
  8. DFWJC

21,926 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    ??? No mention of 1st, 2nd and 6th from me.

I said a 1st and 2nd for a 1st and 3rd...which would work.

I do agree that trading up is expensive, but I'm not their GM.
  9. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    that wont work.
    Arizona has the 5th pick, if Miller is there they take him no trade out. If Miller is gone the the 5th pick is worth 1700 points. Houston has the 11th pick worth 1250. Thats a differnce of 450 points. Houston 2nd round pick is worth 480. Arizona 3rd is worth 245. Why would Arizona trade 1st round(1700) and 3rd(245)=1945 points for the 11th(1250) and Houston 2nd(480)=1730. Arizona will still be losing 215 points.

Arizone 6th pick is worth (1700 points) + Arizona 6th round pick(23) =1723.
    Houston 11th pick worth(1250) + Houston 2nd round pick(480)=1730 points.
    So Houston loses there 2nd round pick for one player when they need a lot of help while switching to a 3-4 defense. Yeah thats smart. That 2nd round pick would be a starter for them.
  10. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've heard Patrick Peterson and Aldon Smith are high on Houston's draft board.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,519 Messages
    2,052 Likes Received
    Somewhere I thought I read that they liked Smith, too. And this was a few weeks ago before there was such a buzz about him.

Which makes sense a lot more sense to me than Peterson, because 1) Peterson would require a big trade up while Smith might not require one at all, and 2) Wade has always been much more front-seven oriented and as far as I know they don't have any real passrushers at OLB.

So I say smokescreen on the Peterson bit. Unless Wade just isn't getting much say, which I would find hard to believe.
  12. DFWJC

21,926 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Yeah, the 1st and 3rd for the 1st and 2nd would not work. Not sure what I was thinking.
  13. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    did you even read what I just wrote.

Arizona first round(1700 points) + Arizona 3rd round(245) = 1945

Houston first round(1250 points) + Houston 2nd round(480 points) = 1730

how is 1945 oints equal to 1730 points

can this guy do simple math?

you said it would work and it adds up, please tell using your fuzzy math how ths adds up.
  14. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    The Texans (reportedly) love Patrick Peterson
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 18, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/18/the-texans-heart-patrick-peterson/

The Texans were desperate for a starting cornerback this year, to the point everyone fully expected them to take their top-ranked with their first pick, and that’s exactly what they did.

They drafted Kareem Jackson, he started all season, and few cornerbacks in the NFL played worse last season.

Now they are as desperate as they were last year, if not more. A lot of mock drafts have the Texans taking Prince Amukamara if he falls to them, but SI’s Peter King indicates Houston is aiming higher.
  15. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    So Hos, is Houston going to trade up past us to get Peterson? :eek:
  16. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,000 Messages
    1,193 Likes Received

He stated that not many teams go strictly by that old, outdated draft value chart from the early 90's (which is true). That right there should tell you that the figures you are leaning so heavily on in your argument aren't that important anymore... therefore the basis of your argument isn't really that valid.

You want it to add up on the value chart, and he's telling you that they no longer need to add up for the trades to still happen.
  17. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    who is telling me this. Thats a big difference according to the chart.
    just go by recent history and no one has every made a trade like that.
    I don't care if you go by the chart or not, that trade still wouldn't work.
  18. DFWJC

21,926 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Calm down.

I went back and corrected my post but it looks like you pounced on it before i could scratch it.

I did say it was my bad and I didn't know what I was thinking witht he 1st-3rd, 1st-2nd addition.

And yes, amazingly, I can do simple math. :eek:

Again, my bad.

Even with that totally obsolete value chart that nobody uses anymore, that would have been a stretch.
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,673 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    It would take more than that.

The value of the Texan's 11th and 43rd is 1720, Arizona's 5th and 69th equate to 1,945.

They'd have to put their 3rd rounder in play somehow in that scenario, but it might be worth it to them since they'd be moving up in the 3rd as well.
  20. DFWJC

21,926 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Yes.
    I later came back and said that I basically had a brain fart.
    Believe it or not...it wasn't this:beer1: