1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

RW: Reports on mock drafts, Nick Fairley Falling?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 25, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Nick Fairley - DL - Player Auburn DT Nick Fairley has fallen to No. 6 overall in pre-Combine mock drafts done by both Jason La Canfora and Mike Lombardi of the NFL Network.
    Each of the mocks has had Da'Quan Bowers going first to Carolina, and Cam Newton going third overall to the Bills. The consensus, at least at NFL Network, is that Fairley is going to "slip" a bit on draft day, as predicted by Lombardi. Plenty can change between now and late April, but for now at least Fairley appears in danger of falling out of the top five.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football?r=1

Remember now zoners, its being reported that Fairley has a shoulder injury issue. So, say for instance Peterson and Fairley both fall to 6th, should we trade up and get which one?
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd take Nick Fairley in a NY second.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    I dont see the fit...where do you play him in a 30 front?
  4. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,501 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I personally don't think Fairly is all that great. He's no where near the level of Suh or McCoy of last year.
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't have much doubt that he could play a five-technique in a 34 scheme. Also, folks have to remember that this team utilizes what amounts to a four-man front a lot in its nickel and dime packages. Now, we'll have to see if Ryan does that moving forward, but I have no reason to believe he wouldn't.

I said all that to say this, Fairley can also be used as a DT in such packages.
  6. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    FIFY.
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree, Suh is a once-in-a-decade type of player. I would put Fairley at or above the same level as McCoy. Having said that, I think they're two different types of players. I would compare Fairley as more of Richard Seymour type of player; same type of demeanor and penetrating just create "havoc" approach to the game.
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Fairley is my most coveted player in the draft but there is decent bust potential with him.

He could play a 5-technique DE in the 3-4 and then move over as a 3-technique DT in the nickel where we use a 4-man line.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,744 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    I don't see it. If Carolina passes I have a hard time believing Denver will.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,499 Messages
    6,233 Likes Received
    He's Jay Ratliff as a rookie, with bulk. I'd love it.
  11. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fairley and A.J. Green will play at 23, so they have to be stout in their pre-draft evaluations, or they could slip. I hope someone takes him before the Cowboys pick. How many first round picks is Dallas going to put on defense? It's always "something" with the defense...

Almost the entire 2009 bust draft was spent on defense. Maybe, if they get first rounders at 9 spots, they may play consistent.

I'd take Tyron Smith over Fairley and wouldn't think twice.
  12. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Egads, man....raise up off of Tyron Smith for 30 seconds!

Perhaps if you post in another 8-10 threads your desire to draft Tyron Smith, the draft gods may actually grant you your wish.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,499 Messages
    6,233 Likes Received
    No way. Fairley won't be there, so it won't matter, but it would be foolish to reach for OT when there is top-five talent on the board at 9.
  14. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nick Fairly is a beast and I believe if Cam Newton not there, get em'
  15. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,415 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    We shouldn't trade up. As I'd said in another post, we're not in a position to be giving up 2nds or 3rds. We have a high pick in each round and should be able to get 3 potential starters with those picks. Now if we want to move down in the 1st or shift up/down with the other picks, then fine. But to move up a couple of spots in the first while giving up a 2nd or 3rd would be moronic IMO.
  16. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,329 Messages
    274 Likes Received
    Are you kidding...he's huge and has great moves and power. He could literally be used at all 3 positions along the 3 man front, and when we go to our 4 man front in some situations, he could literally play all 4.

I won't say he's a better NT or DT than Dareus, but I will say he's a better penetrator and without a doubt the most versatile DL in the draft...this kid could play any position you line him up at.

Is he too small for NT? No way
    Is he too small or not powerful enough for the 3-4 DE? Probably his best position with us.

Suh has been totally dominant as a 4-3 DT, but surely you can see that he'd be great at NT or DE in the 3-4. Fairley isn't at that level yet, but he's got all the tools.
  17. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,900 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    Denver would take Fairley ahead of PP.

In reality, I really don't think Dallas is anticipating PP being there. I think they are actively combing through the next tier.
  18. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,290 Messages
    904 Likes Received
    I don't think the Bills go QB. Fitzpatrick was the only bright spot that team had. He had one of the best QB ratings last year. I think he's there future.
  19. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,108 Messages
    39 Likes Received

Peterson, without even a blink.. Nothing against Fairley, injury or not, but the position he plays or would play ( 3-4 DE ), the Cowboys have plenty of talent.

CB ? not so much.
  20. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,823 Messages
    2,252 Likes Received
    I would love for Fairley to be there for us. He'd be a monster playing for Ryan, who would play Fairley the way he should be used.

I don't see him falling enough though.