1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: S J.J. Wilcox on returning to practice after grieving: ‘It’s a relief’

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 21, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,137 Messages
    6,916 Likes Received
    By Rainer Sabin / Reporter
    rsabin@dallasnews.com

Wilcox returned home Aug. 11 to be with his ailing mother, Marshell Wilcox, who had battled lupus, an immune system disorder, for the last 13 years. She died at 49 two days later. Wilcox grieved with his teenage sister, Iesha, and 55-year-old father, James.

“It’s tough, it’s tough, when you get accustomed to somebody for 33 years with my dad, and 22 years with me and they are all of sudden gone. it’s tough. It’s still fighting me to this day. I felt it a little at practice. But I’m going to be strong, be blessed and I’m going to keep pushing.”
    “It’s good to have him back,” head coach Jason Garrett said. “He had a very difficult time with his mom. We want to make sure he had plenty of time to take care of that the right way. We talked about in training camp when he first left. It’s difficult for anybody. He is a young man trying to make his way in this league so we want to support him as any way we can.”

Wilcox felt that compassion.

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...to-practice-after-grieving-its-a-relief.html/
  2. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,571 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Rough stuff :(
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,512 Messages
    9,673 Likes Received
    I bet it was.

You only get one mother. The man has my respect.
  4. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,956 Messages
    1,520 Likes Received
    Losing your parents is VERY rough, I have lost both...he will heal and whacking people on the field is likely one way that he can take out his feelings
    CowboysYanksLakers likes this.
  5. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,768 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Wife has Lupus as well. Not fun. Prayers to Mr. Wilcox and his family.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,591 Messages
    5,502 Likes Received
    I'm glad the Cowboys handled this in a classy way.
  7. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Mann as a previous poster stated, you ONLY get one mother... May the Lord continue to bless him and his family.
  8. gambit187

gambit187 Active Member

700 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad....Mr. Jones has shown nothing but class and a paternal like guidance for dealing with players in cases of death, legal trouble, mental issues and substance abuse. We have an organization that I feel actually cares about the players as human beings not just a commodity.