1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: SA: Cowboys coach Phillips shrugs off draft failures

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by MichaelWinicki, Nov 4, 2010.

1. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received
    Cowboys coach Phillips shrugs off draft failures
    By Tom Orsborn - Express-News
    Web Posted: 11/04/2010 12:00 AM CDT

Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips isn't bothered by the team's recent draft failures.

Only four players drafted in 2009 remain on the active 53-man roster after the club cut linebacker Jason Williams on Tuesday.

One day later, Phillips was asked if he was concerned about the class being labeled a failure.

“I'm not,” Phillips said at his news conference in Irving. “We keep the best players whether they are first-round picks or last-round picks or free agents.

“You are not going to be perfect with all of the draft choices, but you are going to have some (rookie free agents) surprisingly come through for you, and we've probably been the best at that with the Tony Romos and Miles Austins of the world. They are probably first-round picks now.”

For more... http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/cowboys_coach_phillips_shrugs_off_draft_failures_106656738.html
  2. MichaelWinicki

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received
    Of course he's not concerned about the class being a failure. He had his grubby hands in it.

Jason Williams was his pet cat, while Brewster was Hudson Houcks.
  3. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,199 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    Wade Phillips shrugs off everything.
  4. DallasGirl50

DallasGirl50 New Member

2,025 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They better be concerned about it.
  5. MichaelWinicki

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received
    Sometime I'd really like to see someone pop Wade right in the face after he gives one of his "It's all OK" type answers.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,492 Messages
    2,372 Likes Received
    That 2009 draft was horrible. A lot of poeple on this site were on it then --saying it lookked a bit dicey and that quantity (shotgun approach) type drafting is never better than quality (even if you have fewer, but higher picks).

The year before was bit better, but I've heard more than once that Jerry wanted Felix and Wade wanted Chris Johnson...and was overruled. My guess is that Wade makes up about 25% of the final draft decisions at most.
  7. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,093 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Is it the players or the coaches. I tend to believe it is the coaches. We can't even get our vets to play well, how are we expected to mold our draft picks into good players?
  8. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,853 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I would love to see it also. He is a nice guy, but I am sick of seeing his "aww shucks we will get them next time" mug.
  9. QT

QT Active Member

1,902 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Sure your not going to be perfect, but can you get at least half your picks right. Preferably the top half of your draft.
  10. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Its not his team.. he says what he gets paid and told to say. You think he can just come out and says what he really wants or really thinks and wouldn't have hell to pay from Jerry? Get real.
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,646 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  12. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,832 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Well, by my count, they have 8 of the 12 still with the team either on the roster, PS or IR. I'd say they are still at above half at this point. And 4 of those 8 were in the first 6 picks.
  13. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,853 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Yes. He shrugs off his coaching failures also.
  14. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    **** well he want be here much longer so why should he worry about it. That's why I want his sorry *** gone yesterday. Any good Coach would say yes that's a problem. Hes a total FOOL as a Head Coach.
  15. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    Wade will be shown the door at the end of the year, and rightfully so.

In the meantime, there will not be a single thing that he says or does that will not be roundly criticized. It's therapy I suppose for some.
  16. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    No sense in worrying about it now. The 2009 draft looks like it was a bad one. It happens, and her is nothing we can do about it now. There still may be one or two that will do something, but not likely enough to ever label it anything other than a bad draft. How the other 3 turn out will tell the tale of whether he drafted well or not. A team can get by with one bad draft, but if 2 or more turn out bad then Phillips will have done a poor job.

So far the 2007 draft is kind of a mixed bag. Decent, but not great. 3 are starters now (Free, Spencer & Ball), and 2 more have been starters (Folk & Anderson). Not a steller group, but not bad to have that many earn starting roles.

2008 looks ike it has the potential to be oustanding with Felix, Jenkins, Bennett, Choice and Scandrick, but there are still questions with all.

2010 ... who knows. Dez looks like he will be a star, and Lee shows potential. It will probably take a few years before we really know about AOA, Young and Lissimore.
  17. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Do you not realize that Wade is here because he's a "yes man"?? He does what Jerry tells him to do and says what Jerry allows him to say. You think he's gonna badmouth the draft that was mostly Jerry's responsibility? lol

Wade isn't the problem.. HC Jerry Jones is.
  18. BlueStarDude

BlueStarDude New Member

55 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Best part is when Wade says: "....but you are going to have some (rookie free agents) surprisingly come through for you, and we've probably been the best at that with the Tony Romos and Miles Austins of the world. "

Yeah, and how many of those have been found in the four years since Parcells left?