1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

SA:Is DeCastro off Cowboys’ draft list?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 27, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Posted on 03/27/2012 by torsborn

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/nfl/2012/03/is-decastro-off-cowboys-draft-list/
    Jerry Jones indicated that the free agent signings of guards Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings will keep the Cowboys from drafting an offensive lineman in the first round next month.

The Cowboys, owners of the 14th overall pick, have been linked to Stanford guard David DeCastro. But Jones suggested at the NFL owners meetings in Florida that drafting an offensive lineman isn’t an option after the free agent signings.

“It left us totally flexible there (in the first round),” ESPNDallas.com quoted Jones as saying of the team’s work in free agency.
  2. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,690 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Hopefully just Jerry being Jerry

Our signings are backups best case scenario they're a marginal upgrade over what we had have we learned nothing about going cheap on OL from last year?
  3. rabidcowfan

rabidcowfan New Member

26 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I hope one of the signings is a starter at some interior position, and also hope you are right that it's Jerry being Jerry. Bring on Decastro!!!!!!
  4. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,168 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    They are both better than what we had last year. DeCastro would be great, but our biggest problem is this sorry defense.

Carr/Pool/Connor help, but we need a few more pieces. Our weakest link on offense is not guard, it's center.

Remember we didn't have Murray for half the year. He would have made a difference is some of those games.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    our biggest problem is protecting Romo.
  6. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Message to Jerry Jones ...
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,042 Messages
    3,279 Likes Received
    That interview seemed to indicate that the focus in the first round, if we stayed at 14, would be Defense. He did talk about trading down. He also talked about the additions of the OGs in FA not keeping them from taking an OG but it came across to me that it was not something they are thinking about doing in the first round unless they traded down.

As I said in another thread, he really lit up talking about D.Poe and discussed how much they have talked about him and what they could do with him playing at a NT or 3-4 DE position.

So...I have to say that Poe is getting higher on the radar of what I think the cowboys may want with that first pick if they stay at 14.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,042 Messages
    3,279 Likes Received
    Watch the full interview and he talks a great deal about that very situation during the last two years and how one year they had problems with some of the Olinemen wiffing and missing blocks (Davis and Columbo)...so they went another direction but overplayed their hand when letting Gurode go and relying too much on young guys that were smaller and inexperienced.

He talked about two different type of linemen, well two different areas that cause linemen to get beat.

He discussed how some linemen are not the biggest guys but they make up for that with technique and exp. Then he talked about bigger guys that might make up for lack of exp and technique with their size until they learn.

He said basically that the young guys they started playing (not T.Smith) lacked the natural size and due to them being young and new they did not have enough exp and technique to make up for the lack of size.

It really is a good interview to listen to and is probably better that people just watch it instead of trying to read my rambling mess.:D
  9. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You're right about there being a worthwhile bit to listen to in that interview. I actually had watched the interview ... all the way through ... prior to my post. I appreciated Jerry's admitting he felt remorseful for having cut Gurode and acknowledging the struggles we had last year at the Center position (and O-line interior, in general) because of that decision, which he took the blame for.

Still, I wanted to add my support to the idea Jerry needs to keep O-line improvement in the forefront of his decision making ... every chance he gets. Gotta keep Romo protected.
  10. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If that's true than Jerry is truely an idiot.
  11. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,204 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    He seemed a little tipsy in his interview so you have to believe it is true. Drunk Jerry is usually the best source for what is going on.

I get the feeling that they are looking for another pass rusher. He mentioned it a few times without be prompted.
  12. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just read this, so it appears the Cowboys are still considering the possibility of drafting an O-lineman:

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- The Cowboys are working out Memphis guard/tackle Ronald Leary on his college campus today.

Leary, a 6-foot-3, 325 pounder, is moving up depth boards with his athletic ability and power. He's expected to be among one of the 30 prospects to visit the Cowboys next month at Valley Ranch.

Leary will workout for Cowboys offensive line coach Bill Callahan.

read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...cowboys-working-out-memphis-offensive-lineman
  13. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I disagree.
    I do think protecting Romo is a huge problem but I think the defense is the biggest problem
  14. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,542 Messages
    1,546 Likes Received
    Smoke screen, hopefully.

Don't duct tape the defense. Build the best offensive line in football first.

DeCastro and Konz!
  15. elcowboi

elcowboi Active Member

833 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I think Jenkins plays a major part in this decision. He's going to ask for top dollars. Plus who knows how his shoulder will respond. CB becomes more of a position of need.

From what I'm hearing the Cowboys are going to a zone blocking scheme. I believe they will be sorry in the long run not picking up Castro but I think at least two of the guards on the team will pan out. Had the defense not giving up late in games we may be saying the o line just needs a little more time in the weightroom. This teams real problem is on the defensive side of the ball.