1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: SA: Pass defense an area of concern for Cowboys heading into final month

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Nov 29, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,937 Messages
    1,241 Likes Received
    Pass defense an area of concern for Cowboys heading into final month
    Posted on 11/27/2011 by torsborn

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/nfl/20...concern-for-cowboys-heading-into-final-month/

As the regular season heads into its final full month, there’s a lot to like about the Dallas Cowboys.

They won back-to-back nail biters in the span of five days to extend their winning streak to four games and gain sole possession of first in the NFC East with a 7-4 record. They’ve got a clutch kicker in undrafted rookie Dan Bailey, who has made 26 straight field goals, including consecutive game winners, one of which came in overtime. They’ve got a workhorse running back in third-round rookie DeMarco Murray, who iced the OT win over Miami on Thanksgiving with 27 tough fourth-quarter yards on five carries. They’ve got a red-zone threat in wide receiver Laurent Robinson, who has caught seven TD passes over five games.

What they don’t have, though, is a secondary that can be trusted....
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    Getting Jenkins back and playing with Newman and Scandrick I think will be a big improvement. These guys have not played many games with each other since 1 and at time 2 of them have misses games. If we can get this group together for the remainder of the season then I think we will see a turn around in the secondary
  3. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,643 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    Jenkins will help, but when I saw Drew Brees torch the Giants last night I couldn't help but feel like he would do the same to the Cowboys. Rodgers too. When your secondary makes Rex Grossman look like a good QB, you've got problems with or without Jenkins.

Hopefully they will get better because if they don't, we won't last long even if we win the division.

We need a huge pass rush, and we need it consistently. Kind of like what the Ravens did to Alex Smith on Thanksgiving.
  4. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

5,540 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    I don't see how one guy is going to change our pass defense that drastically. I am greatly concerned about our pass coverage. Especially our safeties. Where are they when our corners are getting abused? What about the linebackers in the short passing game? Besides Sean Lee, who else do we have who can make plays on the ball? I need to see the young guys in the mix these next 5 games. Brady and Keith can't cut it during the playoffs.
  5. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,909 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Yup, or what the Broncos did to Rivers this past weekend. Or what the Giants did to Tom Brady in the SB in 2007. Or what the Vikings did to Tony Romo in 2009. Or what the 1985 Bears did to everybody not named Marino. Just caved in the pocket every time.

We need pocket cavers. If we get that, we can beat anybody with our current secondary.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,572 Messages
    3,847 Likes Received
    We need Sensi to be at speed. I expect Ryan to start bringing a little more pressure at times.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,258 Likes Received
    Swapping out a dime back for a CB capable of playing at a probowl level is a *huge* difference.

And, of course, the more pass-rush, the better. That goes without saying.
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,196 Messages
    1,543 Likes Received
    Are we no longer worried about the run defense? That's a bigger concern for me.
  9. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jenkins, Newman and Scandrick will be an improvement... F.Y.I. I sure hope Newman has a better game than he did last week, that deep ball TD he gave up was BRUTAL!
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,258 Likes Received