1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sabin: What Cowboys can do to avoid 2013's draft-day confusion

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Alexander, Mar 2, 2014.

1. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,355 Messages
    3,648 Likes Received
    I remember saying the same thing.
    Risen Star and BigStar like this.
  2. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

1,114 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I think as an all around center-field safety that after Johnathan Cyrprien most agreed Wilcox was the next best. I think Wilcox is gonna be a very productive player for us in development from years 2 thru 3.
    Duane and BigStar like this.
  3. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,424 Messages
    1,334 Likes Received
    I like Wilcox's tenacity and aggressiveness for a D that severely lacks killer instinct. Ideally I would like him to supplant Church as the "hybrid SS" of todays passing game (slot TEs, scat backs) that are fast n agile fitting to the old FS traits. He can pack a punch and is quick, also why I hated the Heath experiment seeing as he doesn't seem to have any serious long term starting potential. He could have a great role as a cheap 3rd S/ST player and have heard he is at the Ranch everyday. Hard to not like someone like that, just hate his game at the moment outside of capable speed for the position.
    DavidS likes this.
  4. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

1,114 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I think there is two scenarios for this years safeties line-up

Church & Wilcox

Church & Johnson w/Wilcox supplanting Church in certain packages when we want more versatility in the backfield.

The question for scenario #2 is if Johnson will finally be able to stay healthy. Regardless this is his VERY last chance to stick with the Cowboys.

I'm interested to seeing who develops more out of Heath and Hamilton as well in this offseason
    dogberry and BigStar like this.
  5. BigStar

3,424 Messages
    1,334 Likes Received
    I haven't seen Johnson even in preseason (can't recall) and honestly didn't even consider him. What makes you think he would make that kind've jump to starter if he stays healthy (honest q)? The little I know about him is that he had amazing measurements and athleticism but also heard rumblings he had poor work habits in E. Washington (read that here the last few weeks but can't recall who said it)
  6. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,312 Messages
    1,120 Likes Received
    He made 2 pre seasons tackles, hurt on the 2nd...went to IR. Poor man's Justin Beriault, but he was "safety of the future as well"
  7. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

1,114 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I saw him at training camp and he was coming along fine competing with the starters. He has a very legitimate chance to play alot if he can stay healthy, he's got the talent for sure. He should get a chance this off-season but he knows if he cannot stay on the field he will be gone.
    BigStar likes this.
  8. BigStar

3,424 Messages
    1,334 Likes Received
    Ahhh, Beriault (hadn't thought of him since cut) was actually making some plays before that knee condition...good memory/reference.
  9. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,554 Messages
    1,548 Likes Received
    Who is Rainer Sabin?
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,355 Messages
    3,648 Likes Received
    Exactamundo. Boiled down, this was the issue.
    BigStar likes this.
  11. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,513 Messages
    4,750 Likes Received
    Sure was a dumb article. Pointing out our organizational shortcomings is always the makings for a dumb article.
    unionjack8 likes this.
  12. Hardline

Hardline Benched

733 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    After the very successful rookie season of Travis Fredrick. Floyd is just an after thought for me.
    DavidS likes this.
  13. Alexander

24,513 Messages
    4,750 Likes Received
    I am glad things worked out. It very easily could not have given the unorganized way everything went down. It would not count on that kind of luck every year.
    BigStar likes this.
  14. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

1,114 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I saw no shortcomings in the draft process of Travis so I have no clue what you are talking about.

Jesus you are on miserable son of a gun man. I bet you are just a blast to be around. Everything you post on this Godforsaken board is all negative.
  15. Alexander

24,513 Messages
    4,750 Likes Received

That was not what this article was about.
    There is no reason why we should even have had the debate about a player being number six on our board and skipping him entirely. That is the point. Not whether or not the Frederick choice was wrong.

Frederick getting drafted was a fortunate by product of a very broken process. If that does not get fixed, we could very well have the same fortune this May.

Thankfully, we got fortunate and got a ten year fixture at center.

But you cannot sit here and tell anyone with a functional brain that the entire process went by plan.

Sorry that the truth about this team is so negative these days.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,811 Messages
    7,179 Likes Received
    Stephen Jones must be a moron and miserable too. Since he admitted to this very problem.
  17. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

1,114 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Well I guess its a good thing you aren't a Jags fan or something because you might be suicidal
  18. Alexander

24,513 Messages
    4,750 Likes Received
    I really and truly appreciate your concern for my mental health.
  19. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

1,114 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I'm here for you friend
  20. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Not surprising what with your head in the sand and all.