1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: SAEN: Jones: ‘Nobody I’d rather have fixing defense than Kiffin’

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Dec 10, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,243 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    CHICAGO – Jerry Jones wasn’t in any mood to respect his elders Monday night.

In the wake of the Dallas Cowboys’ embarrassing 45-28 loss to the Chicago Bears, the 71-year-old owner told the 73-year-old defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin how to do his job.

“If you’re going to have the kind of nights we had like tonight or certainly down in New Orleans (a 49-17 loss on Nov. 10), then you got to take some risks,” Jones said. “…I’m sure that will be a part of the plan on defense: more risk. Got to play the balls. Got to go after the balls more.”

There was a time in Kiffin’s illustrious coaching career when he was above reproach. But after a disastrous stint at Southern Cal and three months of pathetically bad defense in Dallas, Kiffin could be facing his final three games as an NFL coordinator.

Fortunately for Kiffin, Jones softened Tuesday morning, giving Kiffin and his top lieutenant, defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, a vote of confidence.

For now, at least, it appears as though their jobs are safe.

“To fix what we’re doing, there’s nobody I’d rather have than him and Rod Marinelli, and where we are today to get this fixed over the next week, two weeks, three weeks,” Jones told Dallas’ KRLD-FM, per ProFootballTalk.com.

“There’s nobody I’d rather have than him to fix it. First of all, he knows what we’re doing better than anyone, and if there are adjustments to be made, he’s the right man for the job right now.”

Jones also suggested that Kiffin is highly motivated to turn things around.

“He takes it personally,” Jones said. “It’s hard on him. It’s very hard on him. He’s been doing it a long time at his age and he’s had a lot of different experiences. He doesn’t in any way reject the responsibility. As a matter of fact, he invites it on himself.”

Continue reading...
  2. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,946 Messages
    1,091 Likes Received
    Get it done Kiffen! I know you're basically coordinating with one hand tied behind your back due to the injuries and never getting to see Spencer and Ware line up together, but you gotta do something different. I've never seen it this bad.