1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: SAEN: Madden played role in Cowboys’ passing on making a ‘show business’ pick

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, May 9, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

31,148 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    IRVING – Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said some advice he once received from John Madden played a part in his decision to pass on Johnny Manziel and select offensive lineman Zack Martin.

“John Madden once told me when I was talking to him about this idea of personalities being involved with the Cowboys,” Jones said. “He said, ‘Jerry, the Cowboys have all the flash and have all the visibility that you could ever conjure up. Make your decisions, get the best players and coaches that win the games. You’ve got all the rest of it. You don’t need to have big-time flash to be involved in the NFL and be successful in the NFL.’

“I’ve always remembered that.”

Jones then went on to say that drafting the charismatic Manziel was “not even a thought.”

“This was such an obvious football (decision), period, how to beat San Francisco coming up here real soon (in the opener) decision,” Jones added. “The idea of flare, flash, show business, all that kind of thing, was never even a consideration here. We never discussed that type of thing.”

Continue reading...
  2. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,685 Messages
    304 Likes Received
    I don't know how that advice could have been lost in the PacMan, T.O., Roy Williams years; you'd think his 40 year old brain would have found that tidbit years ago and utilized it... Better late than never though.
    manster4ever and w8lifter like this.
  3. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,710 Messages
    297 Likes Received
    You really cant attach much negativity to T.O. He was very productive for a few years here and didn't cost any draft picks.
  4. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,408 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    LIAR! He really thinks we're that stupid.

What'd Santa tell you?

Seriously.
    Carl23 likes this.