1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

SAEN: Smith studies other LT's--his favorites are?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CrazyCowboy, Apr 29, 2011.

1. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,176 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    Cowboys draft pick studies work of tackles for Jets, Falcons
    Posted on 04/29/2011 by torsborn

By Tom Orsborn

IRVING – Every NFL rookie has a veteran or two he tries to emulate, and Cowboys draft pick Tyron Smith is no exception.

“Basically, it’s (Jets offensive tackle) D’Brickashaw Ferguson,” Smith said Thursday night after the Cowboys selected him ninth overall. “I’m similar to him in body size when he came out. I watched a lot of film on his style and learned from watching him.”

Ferguson was the fourth overall pick in 2006. He played at 295 pounds his senior year at Virginia, but tipped the scales at the combine at 312 pounds.

Smith played last season at USC at 285 pounds, but he weighed in at 310 pounds at the Trojans pro day.

Smith also looks up to fellow USC alum Sam Baker, who was drafted 21st overall by the Falcons in 2008.

“I’ve watched a lot of Sam Baker and learned a lot from him,” said Smith, who will be at Valley Ranch this afternoon for a 4 o’clock news conference.

Baker is 6 foot 5, 307 pounds, which is basically the same size as Smith.
  2. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    how can people hate on this pick.....a good offensive line can help the defense by keeping them off the field. Remember bill parcells said that.
    Studying film, work hard to put on weight. The work ethic is there guys. The will and want to seems all there and he has the athletic ability to do it.

WE WANT FOOTBALL.
  3. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,666 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Ferguson? Couldnt have been Pace or Walter Jones. Must be a generational thing.
  4. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

2,036 Messages
    416 Likes Received
    The guy is 20. He was born in 1990. Think about it. He's a 90's kid.
  5. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    atleast he wants to learn and is watching film and etc. Idk if alex barron did too much of this:D
  6. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,666 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Hence my generational comment.
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    it could have been Erik Williams and his head slap. :laugh2: