1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Saints Bounty Program **Payton suspended 1 year / Williams indefinitely**

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by bigdoge99, Mar 21, 2012.

1. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So, your argument is that NFL discipline should not change with the times??

Excellent... well done, Roger...
  2. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not when it comes to the very nature of the game, contact.
  3. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,558 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I didn't think they were that bad...then I went to Saints Report.
  4. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,924 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    I think you and I might be a lot closer to the same thinking on that topic then we've been on this one.

:)

Good points. I agree.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a former Hurricane could be in the middle of this.
  6. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,415 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    In my world, the corporate world, lying to your boss or bosses gets you fired. I don't find the punishment surprising at all.
  7. BraveHeartFan

22,924 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    In pretty much any world, or work enviroment, lying to your boss or bosses will get you the boot.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that it would be different in the business of the NFL just because it's the NFL.
  8. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,378 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Try living here and being a fan of another team. :rolleyes:
  9. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's punishing an entire franchise worth hundreds of millions of dollars to a worse degree than he would have otherwise because Sean Payton lied to him. This isnt equal to firing a single or even a group of employees. As a commisioner, he shouldnt be handing down spiteful, emotional judgements because his ego took a hit.
  10. BraveHeartFan

22,924 Messages
    737 Likes Received

Ummm from what I've read this is because the entire Saints orginization lied and tried to cover things up, not just Payton.

How do you know how much he would have punished them if Payton hadn't known about it and it was the other parties involved that lied and hid it? You don't know.

Payton got a 1 year because he lied and covered things up. Everyone involved who has lied and tried to cover things up, including the GM and the Linebackers coach, and the DC at the time have all been individually punished for their roles in lying and covering things up.

It's not like he let those involved skate and only hit the Saints owner and team with fines.

If they hadn't been lying, and had done as they were told, they'd likely have gotten absolutely nothing more than, at most, a slap on the risk. I don't know that for sure but I feel like it's a pretty good bet.

Instead they lied, they continued to do it, and then they tried to cover it up. Not just one person but from top to bottom people involved lied and tried to cover it up.

That's going to get you fired in any other company or business without question. The NFL is no different in that regard and they're getting punished accordingly.
  11. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,633 Messages
    388 Likes Received

"Ego" is not the issue here, it's failure to cooperate with the "law" in the matter. Imagine that you are a defendant, and you commit perjury in federal court. As a result, the judge gives you a heavier sentence than he would have otherwise (had you been entirely truthful.) Would you say, "Oh, the judge is just giving a heavy sentence because the perjury happened to sting his ego?" No. You would have been penalized because of attempting to obstruct the legal process.
  12. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,633 Messages
    388 Likes Received

Let's imagine that Goodell was a cold-blooded person who never felt a twinge of emotion whatsoever. Would you still consider a penalty of two draft picks, $500,000 fined, head coach suspended for one year, former DC suspended indefinitely, to be inappropriate?
  13. cajuncocoa

2,378 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Sean Payton releases a(nother) statement:

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...payton-i-will-be-more-vigilant/1#.T20YS9UxnjU
  14. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bill Jones SportsPage
    Greatest quote in Cowboys history: @JimmyJohnson : "oh, I would've gone after Buddy but he put his big fat rear end in locker room!"

Bill Jones SportsPage
    RT“@JimmyJohnson: Does anyone wonder that Greg Williams and Jeff Fisher come from Buddy Ryans staff of alleged bounties?”
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I take it you are unaware that football was almost banned in the early 1900's due to deaths and injuries? Back in the days of the flying wedge?

So it has changed quite often over the years already.
  16. cajuncocoa

2,378 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Not surprising at all. I read somewhere the GW once said Buddy Ryan is one of his heroes. :eek: