1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Saints cut Jason Smith... Desperate Times!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheCount, Aug 22, 2013.

1. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,162 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    If he can play RG I say bring him and and kick the tires. Otherwise, he really has no value to us. We are set at tackle.
  2. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,726 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    +1
  3. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,747 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    You are right,we do have the best tackles in the league.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,515 Messages
    5,241 Likes Received
    Ah...the old, 'if the Cowboys don't have the best player in the league at a position, it's a problem' argument so popular on CZ.
    CowboyMike likes this.
  5. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,486 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    Yes, signing Jason Smith will totally give us the best tackles in the league!
  6. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,114 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    No but I don't think Tyron at LT and Free or Parnell at RT should make ANYONE feel comfortable.
    Vintage likes this.
  7. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,075 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    Tony Mandarich still likes football. Give him a set of jumpin' jacks and he's good to go.
  8. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,486 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    Well, I don't think you should speak for anyone but yourself. I'm completely comfortable with Smith/Free/Parnell/Bell.
  9. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,628 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    You mean to tell me that Jason Smith is still available even as we speak? 31 Other teams haven't jumped at the opportunity to sign him since he got cut YET? Surely you jest.:)

I'm with Mickey on this one, "If he is so good, why is he available?"
    CowboyMike likes this.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,515 Messages
    5,241 Likes Received
    Well, to be fair, the poster he was replying to was only saying we've got a bigger need at OG than at OT. That appears to be true at this point in the preseason. We'll see if it holds up.

I don't love our OT situation, but if Free really has returned to form, it could be a lot worse. The left side of our OL is looking pretty dang good [insert standard preseason caveat].
  11. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,350 Messages
    808 Likes Received
    Sometimes teams work on contingency plans -- what do you do if you have two injuries in the interior in a game and you've only dressed 7 OL?
  12. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Probably because of the post preceding yours. If you don't love football, hard to succeed at it. No thanks.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,498 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    I think it's a stretch to say that we only need help at OG. If you can improve a position, any position, then you have to do that. That's what a good team does. The Pats have Brady at QB but they signed Tebow. They felt like Tebow improved the position, gave them something they didn't have before. It's crazy to not try and improve your team at whatever position you can.

Will Smith be an improvement? I don't know, maybe not but you can't know unless you check it out. What possible harm could it do?
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,854 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    Ain't that the truth but we also don't have a swing. I hear Parnell can barely bend his leg and Weems is still 15 or so pounds overweight.

I love these types of threads, some people act like the idea is to sign the guy for 5 years and pay him 10mil per.

There is literally no risk in bringing guys in to take a look. Zero.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,854 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    There's a good chance he can't play anything, but for dirt cheap, I'd like to see him try!
  16. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

885 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's why I posted in the Free at RG thread that it was nothing more than a contingency plan, same word even...true story.

This quote right here you're calling out was just a bit of sarcasm. Sorry I didn't include one of these :rolleyes:. Thought maybe the zombie comment would drive home the sarcastic tone. My bad.
  17. Pessimist_cowboy

1,726 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    I am okay with it too. But ! Our guard combo scares the jeepers out of me . It's a train wreck .
  18. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,584 Messages
    3,333 Likes Received
    Does anyone have any insight into Parnell, Bell and Weems? Are there any other players at tackle worth discussing?
  19. Pessimist_cowboy

1,726 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    Parnell has played well when given the chance . He was expected to compete with Free for the RT position but has been injured. He is now practicing .

Bell is an interesting player . He was drafted in the 7th round in 2009 by the Bills . He started has started 40 games in his career and has played well. In 2012 he signed a 5 years 35 million contract with Philly , played 1 season but was cut in the offseason because he has weight problems . He is very talented but has weight issues .
  20. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,498 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    I kind of don't agree with this. Parnell has really not played all that well IMO. Last year, especially towards the end of the year, I thought Free played much better then Parnell and everybody hated the way Free was playing. At the beginning of the year, I thought Free and Parnell were different flavors of the same thing. They played on about the same level IMO and this board almost came apart on how terrible Free was at that time. I don't really get the love for Parnell. I don't hate the guy but I don't understand the perception on him. Free is terrible but Parnell is a viable solution. I don't get it.

Bell might be a decent option but as you say, he has weight issues. Weems has been injured a lot. I honestly have no idea what we have there. Either way, I don't know that any of them can play LT if they had to.