1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Saints to Interview Rob Ryan as DC *Post #26*

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Nav22, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,417 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    He will likely have better luck there because the Saints' offense will take the pressure off of him and the defense which will give them the ability to be more aggressive. Of course this means we get to look forward to the endless "We should have kept Rob Ryan" rants next season as if the last two years of low turnover, bend and break defense never happened!

/reality
  2. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,821 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    If Ryan can get that defense to be average than it's a positive for the team overall.

But then again the players complained about Spag's defense because it was too complicated.
  3. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,417 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm a little shocked the Saints didn't do better with Spags' defense.

/reality
  4. Bluestang

4,821 Messages
    74 Likes Received

Romeo Crennel would have been the better choice of the two IMHO.

Is it out of the question to think that SP would hire Ryan after failing in Dallas to prove a point to 'ol Jerruh?
  5. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

9,609 Messages
    632 Likes Received
    Good move for the Saints because the only Bounty that Ryan knows of is the one he tucks in his collar before second dinners.
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

63,382 Messages
    2,231 Likes Received
  7. Bluestang

4,821 Messages
    74 Likes Received

Spags couldn't get them to buy into his defense and they complained that "it takes time" to learn all of the intricacies of the scheme.

Things were much simpler under Williams but considering the issues we had here in Dallas with assigment busts in Ryan's 2 years the players might have the same objections when they see his playbook in the Spring.

All Ryan needs to strive for is to be average there though, anything more is a plus-plus.
  8. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

2,762 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    His defense relies on double A gap penetration. When they get stonewalled, that leaves a lot of guys out on an island. The bottom line is that they don't have much talent on the defense.
  9. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,322 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    Man, I was going to say that in my first post in this thread: That we better hold off because it's probably just another case of someone jumping the gun.
  10. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....he's pretty close to Gregg Williams IMO....solid hire really. LONG 5 minutes though....:laugh2:
  11. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,052 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    I'm jealous.
  12. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,322 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    Williams has a much better track record of producing defenses in the top 10 in points and yards.

Ryan has had one top 10 defense in yards allowed, and his highest ranking in points allowed is 13th.
  13. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Payton is great.

But he also hired Gary Gibbs and spagnuolo to run his defense.

To be fair I bet those came on strong recommendations from people he knew, Gibbs was a parcells hire without question.

I bet he gets a good report on grantham from people he knows and I bet Jerry and whoever he talks to in Irving give a good report on Ryan.

I really hope he hires Ryan, that will keep the saints weaker than they could be. Rob Ryan is not a good coordinator.
  14. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,451 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    If Payton calls Jerry, I don't think he's going to like what he hears about Rob.
  15. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,866 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    ..interview.

Only.

Don't see Payton taking Jones' flotsam.

:starspin RedBaLL ExPreSS :starspin
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,799 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    Yeah right... Crannel would have been better.
  17. hsfolk

hsfolk Member

359 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Saints fans want Todd Grantham
  18. DrunkWithPower

DrunkWithPower Member

166 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    y Adam Schefter | ESPN

The New Orleans Saints plan to hire former Dallas Cowboys assistant coach Rob Ryan as their new defensive coordinator, according to league sources.

Saints coach Sean Payton talks about his season away from the NFL, being reinstated by the league, New Orleans' defense, his relationship with Roger Goodell and more.

The boisterous Ryan was fired as defensive coordinator of the Cowboys on Jan. 8, soon after owner Jerry Jones said he would make major changes to a team that finished 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

Saints coach Sean Payton would only say Ryan will interview with the Saints at the end of week, when asked Wednesday morning to address the hiring in a phone interview with ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning."

Ryan, after his ouster in Dallas, said "I'll be out of work for like five minutes."

The St. Louis Rams visited twice with Ryan but ultimately decided not to hire him as his addition was not a good "scheme fit," according to coach Jeff Fisher.

Information from ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8919487/new-orleans-saints-plan-hire-rob-ryan-defensive-coordinator-according-sources
  19. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,240 Messages
    733 Likes Received
    So Rob Ryan has been DC at Oakland, Cleveland & Dallas, ... none of those defenses were anything special.

He talks a big game, but does not back it up. At least he hasn't yet.
  20. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    there go the Saints down the slippery slope

Last night, differing (and not necessarily contradictory) reports emerged regarding the status of Rob Ryan as the Saints’ next defensive coordinator.
    ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the Saints “plan” to hire Ryan. Larry Holder of the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported that the Saints will interview Ryan on Friday, a day after they interview Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/06/source-rob-ryan-to-saints-basically-a-done-deal/

:lmao2::lmao2: