1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Salary Cap Estimate for 2013

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Jan 16, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,405 Messages
    1,794 Likes Received
    Based on Brandon Carr's first year cap hit of 3.2M, they could get 3.125 CBs with 10M; although, I'm not expecting much from the 0.125 guy.:rolleyes:
  2. Tezz

Tezz Member

342 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    A lot of teams could clear a ton of cap room with major overhauling, but opt more frequently for minor restructures to avoid putting everything into the future. The question is whether it is worth it... As previously stated contract extensions are coming soon for marquee players.
  3. erod

erod Well-Known Member

3,883 Messages
    924 Likes Received
    How they spend this limited cash will be the difference between 11-5 and another 8-8.

Every move has to be right in free agency, and the top four picks need to hit.
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,026 Messages
    1,251 Likes Received
    You're trying to get me in trouble. :)
  5. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,044 Messages
    873 Likes Received
    It was my turn.
  6. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

2,749 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    I think we are fine at dline, as is. If we had a pass rusher in the draft or FA, that would be gravy. There isn't a lot out there in free agency, as far as guards go. Levitre, maybe? I would try to draft a guard and go after a safety in free agency, assuming they aren't franchised.
  7. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,492 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Now that's how you sign players and develop them.
  8. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,552 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    These aren't major overhauls. They are restructuring of contracts in years that they are designed to be restructured. Writing contracts in this manner is a far more effective approach as it gives maximum flexibility -- we restructure if we get the guys we like in FA. If not, we can leave a giant salary on the books and eat up their cap hits earlier.
  9. MichaelWinicki

30,026 Messages
    1,251 Likes Received
    xwalker has been suggesting one of the Jet guards.

Brandon Moore was the 4th rated guard per PFF. But he'll be 34. Which might be a good thing as far as the Cowboys are concerned.

Matt Slauson was the 31st rated guard per PFF. He's been solid every year since entering the NFL.
  10. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    He'll turn 33 on June 3rd.

I'd like to get Brandon Moore if he comes at a fair price.

If the team turns to Jermey Parnell at RT, I hope to see a solid veteran lining up next to him.

Bryan Broaddus feels Dallas will keep Doug Free by converting most of his 2013 base salary ($7M) into another signing bonus. 2014 was the original end year of the contract, but multiple sites now show it running through 2016.

I'm ready to cut bait here and eat all the dead money next season.

Broaddus also said OL coach Bill Callahan was pushing to play Parnell much earlier in the season.

Turn the page.
  11. AbeBeta

24,552 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I think we'd be more likely to do some combination of bonus and salary reduction. Free clearly isn't going to be making 7 mill anywhere next year. But on a 2.5 mill deal I let him come and compete for the RT job. I thought he looked pretty good down the stretch - if he can play at that level consistently, he can help up.

I expect those last two years are club options -- many 4 year deals are going to have that in order to allow the bonus to be spread over the full 5 year limit. They often aren't reported as both sides know they are for accounting purposes.
  12. MichaelWinicki

30,026 Messages
    1,251 Likes Received
    Yep, turn the page.

I can't see giving Free that $7 mil into anything positive for him.

If he took a big salary reduction, maybe he could compete for a roster spot.
  13. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    If the team wants to keep Doug Free around, I certainly hope one of the conditions is taking a reduction in base salary.

Before the recent change in Free's contract showed up on line, it looked like he had $8.35M in remaining bonus money on the books.

It actually goes up to $8.99M if the 2012 restructure was spread out over five years instead or the original three.

I had Free's 2013 cap number at $11.175M ($7M base, $2.575M signing bonus, $1.6M restructure bonus).

Adding two years to the deal drops the 2013 cap number to $10.535M ($7M base, $2.575M signing bonus, $0.96M restructure bonus).

The two new years on the contract (if accurate) make a straight release slightly less appetizing, it would only save $1.545M instead of $2.825M.

I still want to go this route unless Free is willing to take a big reduction.

Using the June 2nd designation would save Free's $7M base salary, but the team wouldn't be able to use it until that date, so it wouldn't help with getting under the salary cap and creating room for free agents.

There would be $5.455M in dead money in 2014 with a cap savings of $6.08M.

Bryan Broaddus keeps saying there will be $7M in dead money if we do this, but that's not possible going by the numbers I've seen.
  14. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,472 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    Good stuff:)
  15. Tezz

Tezz Member

342 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Restructuring for $30M seems like a major overhaul. Cowboys have flexibility to do what they want, but I don't think they will push so many dollars into future years.
  16. AbeBeta

24,552 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    It isn't when you realize that the contracts pushed forward were designed to be pushed forward from the day they were signed.

I think the big issue you are having is that you fail to recognize that the push forward isn't some sort of reckless approach but instead a clearly defined path to managing the cap
  17. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Could Adamjt13 please pick up a white courtesy phone, that's Adamjt13 to a white courtesy phone....thanks.

Great post XWalker. I just would like to see Adam's summary.
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,136 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    Carr:
    We gave him 10m last year and thus eat 2m of that this year regardless.
    If we take his 14 and convert that to bonus he is still due another ~3m this year in pro-rated. So he is at 5 m without a base salary. That is also without any workout or reporting bonuses that almost always exist in these big deals.

The 5.9 m is the lowest possible cost and presumes a lot of things we do not know to be true. Again, as I stated, the rosy outlook on it. My guess is his cap hit this year is at least 7m and probably more in the 7.75 range.

Truth is we may well want to cut Carr in a season or two. Now in a Tampa 2 4-3 we may want to shift dollars to other positions and get cheaper at CB.

Connor: I assume he is cut but in this 4-3 we may want to keep him. We owe him money either way as he got a short term deal with a bonus. Cutting him doesn't save us much money really. Not enough to warrant cutting him and replacing him with a veteran of more than a year or two. If he were outplayed by Caleb or some such of course we could cut him. But Ernie Sims over Connor is a break even deal money-wise at best.

Sensy: He had 8m in guaranteed money in his deal. If we hand him his 3m this year as a bonus he has only 4 years left to divide it up. So he will cost about 2.5M or so again minimum assuming he hit zero incentive pay marks and had zero reporting or attendance bonuses built in.

When I budget at home/work I don't assume the very rosiest of pictures because that leads to disaster. Always allow some wiggle room and you'll end up much closer to reality.

I believe the number is really 10m and that means we have just enough money to franchise Spencer and hold his rights while we negotiate. We'll likely use the Free June 2nd money to pay our rookies so that's a wash all off-season.

We won't really have cap space until we either re-sign or release our hold on Spencer.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,136 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    On some of these deals you are correct.
    Carr/Romo definitely scheduled restructures.

Other guys on this list who are restructured: Sensy/OS... not scheduled restructures.

So it works both ways.
    Some are definitely happening, others are mere possibilities.

Rumors out that Sensy may not even be back. Tough to push more money off on him making it just that much tougher pill to swallow next year.

Again, the guy I most trust on cap situation is Stephen Jones. He says it will be tooth and nail. I see zero reason to disbelieve that.
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,136 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    I see absolutely zero reason to keep Free around.
    We can wait until the draft to release him but he really isn't worth his pay and sometimes you have to move on.

He was absolutely awful until he went into a platoon situation. Our highest paid OL and he can't even handle every down duty?

OK, so one bad year isnt enough to cut bait? He's now been awful for two years straight. And he is playing an easier position now and still failing.

Basically he has to go.

Free has little motivation to take reduced pay. He can go elsewhere and play for a 1 year deal if he has to play cheap to prove himself all over. No reason to stay here and take bottom barrel pay while also allowing Dallas to keep his rights for years.